Artic soul

dixie

Visit site
OMG not what I expected to read when I opened this thread.
it looks like he actually completed the event. ?

how sad ?

Velcrobum

Visit site
He actually won section A so obviously something happened after completion on his Dressage score of 26.1. Tragic loss for Gemma.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Apparently had a heart attack after completing at Weston. Such sad news, he was a real super star.
Feel for his connections.

windswoo

Visit site
Oh that's awful, we were at Weston today and it seemed like everyone was having a really good time. Thoughts with Gemma

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Very sad, and must have been really upsetting for Gemma. He has been the most amazing horse to watch at big events over the years.

daffy44

Visit site
So very sad, must have been a terrible shock to poor Gemma and all his connections, he was an incredible horse and they had a wonderful partnership.

Squeak

Visit site
What an absolute tragedy. Thoughts with Gemma and all connections, they must be devastated and shocked.

He was a wonderful horse.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Sadly TB's apparently seem to be prone to heart issues whether they have raced or not. I understand he was 19 but was still enjoying life obviously - having just won an Advanced BE section on his Dressage score.

I have at home a TB who certainly raced, his passport disappeared after he went through a sale but the vetting document from that time states his breed and age from that Weatherby's passport. He developed a grade 5 Aortic valve murmur within the space of 3 months! Same vet listened to his heart while he was re-starting a flu/tet vaccination program he was echoed and exercise ECG recorded very shortly afterwards. He is still alive in retirement aged 24 but we know we might find him dead at any time. He stopped being ridden as he was my OH's utterly laid back hack enjoying a quieter life but OH being a novice rider would probably not have realised a problem under saddle so stopped riding him instantly.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I saw a video clip of him going Xc at Weston Park. He was loving it. It happened with a polo horse my stepson rode last year. One minute hurtling along, pulling his arms out, the next minute dead from a heart attack. The vet said she’d not have known a thing about it.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I saw a video clip of him going Xc at Weston Park. He was loving it. It happened with a polo horse my stepson rode last year. One minute hurtling along, pulling his arms out, the next minute dead from a heart attack. The vet said she’d not have known a thing about it.

I've had one die underneath me of a burst aorta. Apparently it's not that uncommon when you pull up from a gallop, as I did. He knew nothing about it, he just staggered and went down almost sideways, incidentally slamming my thankfully helmeted head into the floor. Mine was not quite 6!