Article in H&H re Hats

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Oh am I glad this has been raised yet again;

"Michael Whitaker, whose new masterclass series begins this week (page 18), tells us riders never jump hatless at his yard. No one rides better than the Whitakers, but with news of the tragic and premature death as the result of head injuries of leading polo player Gabriel Donoso earlier in the month, we should remember that talent does not indemnify you against having an accident.

We all get glib or sloppy sometimes, or let vanity cloud our judgement. As such, it does none of us any harm to have the topic brought sharply back into focus."

My view is you dont get on a horse without a hat, simple. The only person I impose this on is myself, my daughter & anyone wanting to ride one of my horses. I also believe that ads should not be printed with photo's of people riding without hats (something else mentioned in the article). I do believe in choice which would not be affected if they chopped the person head off!!! (the photo that is). It is amazing the amount of sensible people I see riding highly strung animals without a hat. I also think it makes sense to wear a back protector but again a matter of choice. What I would say is that youngsters should be encouraged in the same way most people would not drive off without the searbelt done up. Once it becomes habit, there is no thinking about it.

eahotson

Visit site
Well Pammy Hutton was shown in HH riding with her mother and neither wore hats. The really bizarre thing about this is that in her column her picture (and she is not mounted) shows her with a hat!!!!! Believe in choice but also believe that anyone who rides without a hat stupid really.

Rambo

Visit site
Well, I personally won't ride without a hat. I know from personal experience, that falling off, even WITH a hat on, can hurt your head
blush.gif

That said, I also believe in personal choice and if people want to ride without that is their choice, not mine.

The bigger issue for me would be the moral responsibility of magazines such as H&H and Horse etc. In my mind they simply should NOT publish pictures of ANYONE riding without a hat. Far too many impressionable youngsters see these magazines and could view it as safe / acceptable to ride without.

Smoking cigarettes can seriously damage your health.......so can riding without a hat
blush.gif

eahotson

Visit site
Having said that one of my instructors. VERY BHS, you practically need a hat to look at a horse, never mind ride one (Oh and gloves) in her yard, will then say quite happily if you are struggling to dosomething. You get off and I willget on. And up she hops without a hat!.

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
In my mind they simply should NOT publish pictures of ANYONE riding without a hat

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean any hat or a safety hat?
What about all the Dressage riders riding in top hats or beaglers?

Just playing devils advocate here!!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
My trainer would not be alive without her hat. She had a brand new Pikeur and this saved her life. Even now she lost some memories and has crap balance but she is still alive.

I ride in a beagler for dressage but I know my horse very well.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In my mind they simply should NOT publish pictures of ANYONE riding without a hat

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean any hat or a safety hat?
What about all the Dressage riders riding in top hats or beaglers?

Just playing devils advocate here!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never been a great fan of top hats for dressage and at least a beagler offers some form of protection ...however minimal
shocked.gif

I'll never change the dressage world though
smirk.gif

Agent XXX999

Visit site
The queen doesn’t wear one! And you would think she would being the queen et all!

I personally always wear one – I never used too and then one day I was riding a youngster (with a hat on) and came off…I would have been a vegetable or worse if I didn’t have one because it was a brand new hat and practically snapped in two. Saying that it is personal preference….

SSM

Visit site
I'm horrified in H&H of the number of people pictured out hunting in Beaglers - I want my hat very firmly strapped to my head out hunting!!!!!!

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm horrified in H&H of the number of people pictured out hunting in Beaglers - I want my hat very firmly strapped to my head out hunting!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

What...even on a safe as houses Cleveland Bay
grin.gif
tongue.gif

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
"LOL! And as she is immune to the laws of the land then sweet fa we can do about it anyway"

Actually I 4got about that, well pointed out, though it is against the law to drive while on your mobile but hey I see it every day! So if breaking the law was the only issue I am sure we would see more people doing it??

kick_On

Visit site
I truely believe it should be up to rider choice whether to wear a hat or not
and i certainly believe in some situtations, back protectors can cause more damage!!!! and you will not get me wear a blooming back protector unless when I'm eventing!!!!!
I personnel believe that it makes me more careful when i'm flat schooling my horses (will add, will only school my own ggs without hat in a known environment for them), will always wear hats when jumping - and when i hunting i never wear a BP horrible things..... can't move properly
but
I strongly believe children should have to wear hats when riding then when they reach 18 plus they can make there own mind up

i'm now hinding behind sofa................... but each to our own..

jennystreek

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I truely believe it should be up to rider choice whether to wear a hat or not
and i certainly believe in some situtations, back protectors can cause more damage!!!! and you will not get me wear a blooming back protector unless when I'm eventing!!!!!
I personnel believe that it makes me more careful when i'm flat schooling my horses (will add, will only school my own ggs without hat in a known environment for them), will always wear hats when jumping - and when i hunting i never wear a BP horrible things..... can't move properly
but
I strongly believe children should have to wear hats when riding then when they reach 18 plus they can make there own mind up

i'm now hinding behind sofa................... but each to our own..

[/ QUOTE ]

I will probably get crucified also, but i have to say i agree with you. I hate wearing back protectors, and went hunting with one last year - my back was then in agony for 2 weeks after, and made me very stiff to the point that i couldnt ride. Never feel flexible with my back protector on - reckon im more likely to have a fall with it on as cant move as freely if horse starts jumping around.

As for hats, i think its down to the individuals choice - however, keep on seeing people out hacking without one on - would never do that on the roads, damn right stupid.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think it is down to personal choice whether or not to wear a hat. I think anybody who doesnt is insane but hey, its their choice. Your head is rather an important part so why would you choose NOT to protect it from what could be a very nasty accident! Plus its very selfish - in an accident on the road, if you fall off and crack your head - itd likely be the nearest car driver who has to live with that! On the roads, it SHOULD be made law that everyone wears a hat.

Body protectors are different though. I also hate wearing them and they do seem to stunt my riding. The only times Ive fallen off in one have been when Ive been riding strange horses (which I think is a good time to wear one!) and landed flat on my back winding myself badly which would not have happened without it. I do, of course wear one for eventing and any XC training.

MagicMelon

Visit site
"I ride in a beagler for dressage but I know my horse very well." - Sorry, but I also know my horses very well however I do not know when they next plan to chuck me off...... Accidents happen all the time, 2 days ago my horse almost fell flat when he tripped while I was riding him and I very nearly went off the front. In these cases, obviously it doesnt matter HOW well you know a horse. And dont think you cant fall off in dressage - Ive been BE eventing for 3 years now, the ONLY time Ive ever fallen off in their competitions was in dressage.

All horses are unpredictable. Saying that you know your horse well does not mean you will not fall off and therefore dont need to wear a proper hat.

GTs

Visit site
I encourage people not to ride in helmets - there is a organ donor shortage, and the equestrian community could be the missing link!!

teapot

Visit site
I always wear a hat when I'm riding - whatever I'm doing. And that's not just when I'm at the yard. Never got on Baron without a hat, or if I hack out random ponies for a mate, hat is always there.

Used to lunge Baron with a hat on too as he wasn't the best on the lunge (but needed that 10mins or so to settle) - and it was there in case something happened.

Body protectors - only wear mine for jumping (only jump at the yard at the mo) as I have to - the rule came in for EVERYONE regardless of age/status - rule goes for the staff too - after a couple of nasty falls happened one summer.

Flatwork wise - never wear it, and rarely do so hacking (unless I know we're going to be jumping logs etc or if I'm on something I dont know for example). Those under 18 at the yard have to wear BP at all times