As alot of the bad press surounding Zara's win has been posted......

Here's one of the good pieces. In fact, I think it is one of the best as it is very balanced - it notes that she has had a bit more help than most could hope for but that she did this herself and worked hard for it AND shock horror it even notes eventing as a real sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the Northrn Echo....

Skill and courage make Zara a worthy winner
THERE are plenty who will denounce Zara Phillips' success in the BBC's Sports Personality of the Year awards as nothing more than the deferential pandering of a society still in thrall to the monarchy.

Phillips, 11th in line to the throne and the most privileged winner of Britain's premier sports award since her mother, the Princess Royal, claimed the crown in 1971, is an easy target for those who rail against the continued influence of the class system within sporting circles.

As various critics commented yesterday, it is not just anyone that can turn up at their local equestrian centre and embark on an eventing career that will lead to a world title.

Phillips' titled background undoubtedly contributed to her success, with a surfeit of both time and resources helping to further a career that was fashioned from a love of competition rather than necessity.

The contrast with Beth Tweddle in particular is marked. Tweddle, who finished third in the BBC poll, claimed a world gymnastics title, despite training in a run-down gym in Toxteth, one of the most impoverished areas of Liverpool.

Without her gymnastic success, Tweddle's life would almost certainly have taken a very different course and the 21-year-old's story is fashioned from repeatedly overcoming the odds.

But just because Phillips has been born with the advantages that were denied to Tweddle, it would be wrong to deride her achievements as intrinsically inferior.

It is one thing being presented with the opportunities to make something out of your life - it is quite another to show the discipline and desire needed to seize them.

Yes, Phillips is a rich girl with a pony, but the world is full of rich girls with ponies and only one of them is world three-day eventing champion.

Given her royal status, it would have been easy for Phillips to have spent her formative years attending endless social functions and revelling in a vacuous culture of celebrity.

Plenty of her contemporaries have gone down that route, seeking to achieve nothing more than an invite to Paris Hilton's next party.

Instead, the Queen's eldest granddaughter has spent countless hours developing a symbiotic relationship with her horse, Toytown, and working her way towards a place on the British eventing team.

She achieved that because of her efforts in the saddle, not because of her name or status.

Thanks to the nation's rural past, Britain boasts a proud eventing heritage and, even today, the competition for the senior squad remains intense. Phillips would not have made it had she not devoted considerable time and energy to honing her riding skills.

And rather than simply using those skills for her own personal pleasure, Phillips, who was once considered to be a royal rebel simply because she had a tongue stud, has chosen to test them in one of the most demanding sporting environments of all.

Those who have claimed that three-day eventing is "not a sport" should try standing next to a 4ft fence when a rider is hurtling towards it at breakneck speed.

To do so requires a surfeit of skill and courage, and Phillips displayed both as she claimed gold at the World Equestrian Games in Germany.

Only days earlier, the dangers of eventing had been tragically illustrated when one of Phillips' closest friends, Sherelle Duke, was killed after a fall at a horse trials in Brockenhurst.

Distraught at the death, Phillips was urged to miss her friend's funeral by Duke's boyfriend, who told her to win the world title as a fitting tribute to the Northern Irish rider,

Fighting back tears, Phillips did just that, drawing on the same emotional bravery that enabled Darren Clarke to overcome the death of his wife, Heather, as he helped Europe retain the Ryder Cup.

Sport stands or falls by such displays of emotional and physical courage, and Phillips' achievements should not be lessened because of her privileged background.

As the make-up of the BBC's shortlist proved, Britain has hardly been overwhelmed by sporting heroes this year.

It would be wrong, therefore, to criticise one of the country's few winners just because she has benefited from a helping hand along the way.

The bold bit sums it all up for me!!

hairycob

Visit site
That was good to read. It's nice to hear a balanced view. I must admit I have been tempted to put a few people on Toytown & say - go jump that course, it won't be hard the horse does all the work!

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Had a bit of a discussion at work yesterday about this. Guy I work with, (His daughter rides, and rides very well) was asking me if I thought Zara deserved to win it. Yes I do. He said, yeah, but she has a great horse blah blah. As I pointed out, yes she does, but neither I (not a great rider), nor his daughter could have gotten on that horse and done what Zara did.

KatB

Visit site
Very good article. Something noone has picked up is horses are not aware of social status. They wont go well for someone just becasue they have money. They are a great leveller and her achievements and partnership with that horse cannot be bought.

Dogbetty141

Visit site
Theresa W i totally agree had this discussion at work they were all saying she didnt deserve to win but once i had said more or less what you said they came round to the idea that she might just be an amazing rider who has acheived so much for british equestrainism.

Tempi

Visit site
lovely article, its nice to read something positive about her win and someone actually saying that she deserves to win. So many people these days think horse riding just involves sitting and steering, it infuriates me when idiots say the horse does it for you.....
mad.gif

evsj

Visit site
A very balanced peice, I thought. I got involved in a debate about this yesterday and tried to get the point across that horses don't care how much money you have, only the combination of hard work, talent, guts, determination and the relationship with your horse get you to where ZP did.

I got nagged into doing a static line parachute jump by a bunch of guys who thought horse riding was not a sport (and parachuting is?). I did my jump and swore blind that I would never do it again (terrifying) but could I get one of them to jump a course of jumps on a horse?!!

Gingernags

Visit site
I read the northern echo article and was pleased to see a better view. Have to say even my OH has been converted - he was brought up totally pet free and has been introduced to my lot - he was one of those that thought riding was easy - just sit and steer.

Well I put him on mine a couple of years ago and he was terrified. I think the words were "OH MY GOD HOW DO YOU BALANCE UP HERE?????" I walked him down the lane and back with Asti doing a creditable impression of a seaside donkey, and he nearly wet himself when I let go of the reins, even though she walks and stops and turns when I do, glued to my shoulder.

Funnily enough he never makes comments about how easy riding is now, and though he'll change rugs and brush the horse and turn out etc. he point blank refuses to get on them ever again!

Its sadly typical of this country to bitch about our sporting heroes. It seems you can do no right, an attitude that disgusts me. Much as I'm not a royal fan, I really admire the work Zara has put in and she deserves every bit of that award.

Go girl!!! At least H&H as a far superior peice of journalism and with a much better standard of readers than the gutter press, are fully behind her...