As we are coming to the end.......

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Thought maybe people should have their top 3 events and reasons why. It also helps me for planning next year if there is one I should consider but missed out on.
Mine would be:

1) Charlton Park - lovely event made a real effort with the day and a nice bold galloping XC. Flat level warm ups with plenty of space. It is also great to compete against so many pros.

2) Monmouth - though I got a big fat TE it was well worth the trip as the XC was a lovely galloping course with a wide range of fences. The SJ was up to height which was good and lots of trade stands. My only slight negative would be the dressage warm up was on a slight hill but even that was ok with plenty of space.

3) Mount Ballan - a super bold XC which was very clevely designed. A bit short but I love a clever PN which catches out bad riding. The dressage was on a surface and the SJ was held in the main derby arena which was a great opportunity. My only negative would be the SJ warm up was on a crap arena surface which was dead to jump off and bad/falling apart practice fences.

Close runs would be Nutwell Court, Aldon and Longleat.

tigers_eye

Visit site
Um, only done 5 events this season! But I really liked Mattingley, as always, and Goring Heath. My favourite BE event though is Rolleston, been there twice and its just brilliant, really old-fashioned and a massive track that you feel really proud of getting round!

vic07

Visit site
mattingly is always a fave, firle is lovely - but you need to know what you are doing as it causes chaos, Goring is fab to ride - not to walk!

Nic

Visit site
Kirriemuir - Fantastic course, warm-up, dressage arenas & SJ Well organised, bugbear was the stabling was 45 mins away
smirk.gif

Auchinleck - Allround nice event, good 1st timers.

Strathallan - really nice more technical course, nice dressage warm up & arenas. but SJ was horrendous - never seen so many dog legs!

BBs

Visit site
My favorite 3 mmmm

Well Mattingley is always high on my list - although the Sjing didnt go to plan he went well xc (after going belly up the week before at Aston)

Went well at Goring - nice local event
smile.gif

Hambledon - another local event, winston felt awesome in all three phases and came home with a 6th place!

Only did 8 events this year! but everyone we have come away and learnt something
smile.gif

Roll on the spring season!

H-J

www.piczo.com
1) Mattingley - Lovely event and well spaced out.

2) Puston Manor - I loved this event, especially the XC course I thought it was fab and very technical - but was pleased when I came home clear!

3) Great Witchingham - I always go here if I can, everything is well spaced out with great warm ups etc and the XC is very inviting with good ground covered at both events.

coedcae

Visit site
1) Bicton - Like a mini Badminton, loads of atmosphere, tradestands, even had a grandstand for the dressage arena!
2) Highclere - didnt make it there this year but last year it was lovely
3) Longleat - didnt finish the XC but always great atmosphere and a certain thrill in competing alongside the lion enclosure
laugh.gif

siennamum

Visit site
Hmm... I have an alternative top 3.

1. Bath & West - getting a double clear is of little use when you have a dressage judge who is a clueless idiot who is either really small & can't actually see over the steering wheel, really judging the person in the next arena, or really hates you for some reason and gives you a score in the minus percent!
2. Wiltshire College - would have been a lovely event had we not practiced our snowboarding skills in the SJ warm up & had to go home without attempting the XC.
3. Stockland Lovell - Note to self NEVER do a good dressage, as I should have learned from Wiltshire College (see above) it is a guarantee of disaster when it comes to heaving self over jumps - Or not, as was the case with the coffin on the XC, where we thought we would try the novel approach of giving the horse an airborne lead over fence whilst swearing lots & vowing to NEVER attempt XC again!!

cheeky girl

community.webshots.com
My top three favourites for the year are:

1. Charlton Park - lush venue, good xc, nice dressage and sj.

2. Monmouth - loved the venue, it had a air of calmness about it and Charm was def more chilled there. XC was fab and it was a short journey to get to
laugh.gif

3. Pontispool - love this venue as I always seem to do well here. Love the arena for the sj and the XC is interesting. Bit of a trek for me but worth it.

Can't believe it's nearly all over
frown.gif

KatB

Visit site
Hmm, I didnt compete much last year, but fav events to groom/spectate at...

1, Bicton, love the atmosphere, really fun event and the Sj arena... WOW!

2, Gatcombe Park, again, amazing atmosphere and brill XC course.

3, Stockland Lovell, really enjoyed riding around the Xc course, lovely Sj and actually a flat dressage arena!!
smile.gif

SillyMare

Visit site
Favourites of the year or favourites ever?

Best this year:

1) Purston Manor - bit of a hike to the XC from the box park but other than that well set up. Dressage / SJ well positioned. Excellent (but fairly testing) XC course.

2) Eland Lodge - think it is a fairly new event but left me with a very positive impression. Dressage area good. Showjumping in the school so perfect going (although the warm-up area on the surface was very small, they had allowed extra grass warmup which balanced out). XC course imaginatively designed, varied and testing.

3) Buckminster - always a favourite because permanent pasture means ground is less horrible there than in most other places in July. Well designed, everything convenient, nice bold galloping XC course.

Best ever would include Gt Witchingham in third with Buckminster dropping a place to 4th. Equal 4th would be Catton.

Bossanova

Visit site
Its hard to judge them fairly when youve competed there and had a good/bad day!!

1) Has to be Longleat, wonderful setting, fabulous xc courses that give you such a sense of acheivement when you finish and just generally a fun event

2) Highclere, though I despise the dressage there but the house is lovely and the courses are built to a really high standard

3) Tough one to call- I thought Monmouth was fab, really well thought out. Mattingley is nice, Bicton for similar reasons to Longleat and Highclere and also always enjoy going to Goring

BBs

Visit site
As I didnt get to do too many events this year *sob* I would like to just say the following events are fab

Great Tew
Salperton
Purston
Highclere
Shuttleworth (cancelled this year)
Longleat
Shipton Moyne

SillyMare

Visit site
Eland - I did both courses actually (had India in the PN and Lexi in the Intro last April).

Thought both courses were interesting, fair and testing.

I'm not sure I would choose it as a first Intro for a baby horse (although Lexi did it as her first). There were a few 'questions' on the course (notably a sunken road, steps down, a rolltop / ditch combination and a roltop before the water) that caused quite a lot of problems.

If your horse is experienced XC you should be fine.

KatB

Visit site
Ok, thanks for that. Will see how schooling goes, he is generally good with things that require thinking about, hes just not too bold with spooky/unusual fences yet. Still a long time to go though, but thank you! Very helpful
grin.gif

Hattikins

Visit site
My season ground to a halt in July but had a couple of really lovely events before that!!!!
wink.gif

South of England - was my 2nd ever PN event, especially like it as it is local to us, cross country was fantastic and really really enjoyed, also had my first PN placing - 5th
grin.gif

Nurstead Court - although it was miles from us and i had a pretty appalling dressage, i had such a thrill xc that nothing else really mattered (managed to collect 8 pen. sjing too!!)
blush.gif
it was def. a more challenging PN and i loved it for that factor
laugh.gif

Pulborough - because it was my final event of this season, on a chance ride, it was a lovely flowing course as usual and very inviting, just perfect to tootle round(like a rocket
wink.gif
) and just have a bit of fun
smile.gif