Ascott report

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
Possibly the worst day I have ever had..

She was tired in the warm up for dressage after a lesson last night. Got her going OK. Went in the arena and she turns into a giraffe and did the worst test she has ever done.

Showjumping was the worst round we have ever jumped. She was trying to stop at every jump, which resulted in me having to practically gallop her round to keep her going forward
frown.gif
was the worst round in the history of showjumping, but somehow we went clear.

Cross country- she warmed up nicely, set off really well and i thought *thank god!*, she was taking fliers and really pulling me on, untill we got to a wall to a log combination, I went for a long one, she tried to chip in a short one and put her front feet in the flower display thing at the front and scared herself so stopped. Shes such a temprimental mare, which means that she wouldn't get over it once she stopped at it.

So we got eliminated. Totally devisating. I was so confident and excited about today, and nothing went right. Obviously pushing her to do the open last weekend was a step too far and it has wrecked her confidence. Dad was stood at the fence she stopped at and even he said that there was nothing more I could of done to got her over it- she just wasn't having it.

So after a heated and emotional drive home, we have finally come to the conclusion that she isn't right for me anymore- so she will be on the market in a couple of weeks, so I can get a schoolmaster who has done intermediates, who I can have fun on before I go to uni.

Just want to say what a lovely event it was today though, so much effort had been put in and the jumps where so well dressed, deffinately worth going there if you've never been
smile.gif

Miss Tipps

Visit site
Sorry you had a rough day :-( This was one of my rare good ones, so I can completely empathise.

I think you're making a wise decision, if you're just not connecting with her. I always say this sport should be about enjoyment and although that will mean something different for everyone, if you're not enjoying its time to change something.

Good luck with your search

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
Thanks guys-
Fleur, that shows why I got such a bad mark in my stressage lmao! How tense does she look
blush.gif
Like the first one though lol
laugh.gif
Thanks
smile.gif

Thanks SilverSky- I saw that horse too, but it looks like it has a problem xcountry now due to the emphasis on him being a good BD/BSJA horse!

MissTipps, well done I just saw your report!
laugh.gif
It was a lovely xcountry course, infact a lovely day out
smile.gif

I agree re enjoying it- I want something that I can go out feeling confident and come back from xcountry beaming
smile.gif
Although I think that is what everybody wants nowadays so it could be a bit tricky to find!
Im not aloud to start looking untill we have actually sold Tara, cos we have another project on its way next week, and we don't want to be stuck with 4 horses
blush.gif

L00bey

Visit site
Such a shame about Tara. Is she just not confident xc whats been going on I think I have missed a few. Good luck with new project stats?? Think I read about one you were looking at or something. Am I right thinking its a grey??

Bossanova

Visit site
Whilst I understand your thinking and I think you are right to sell her and get something else, I think that by jumping round that open track she proved herself capable, she just isnt the sort of horse you can fire on a long one and expect to jump everytime. That's a very good lesson for the future, and I dont mean that in a bitchy way at all so I hope you dont take it as such. If you ride horses which need presenting properly then your riding will be 100 times better than someone who has had a point and go type.

Good luck selling her and finding a schoolmaster- a good one is worth it's weight in gold
smile.gif

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Whilst I understand your thinking and I think you are right to sell her and get something else, I think that by jumping round that open track she proved herself capable, she just isnt the sort of horse you can fire on a long one and expect to jump everytime. That's a very good lesson for the future, and I dont mean that in a bitchy way at all so I hope you dont take it as such. If you ride horses which need presenting properly then your riding will be 100 times better than someone who has had a point and go type.

Good luck selling her and finding a schoolmaster- a good one is worth it's weight in gold
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Boss I totally agree with you, I know where you are coming from and don't worry I am not offended!
With Tara, I have always asked her for long ones, since last year at a schooling session when my trainer told me to try and "showjump her" into a huge trakhena- she climbed over it, scraped all the skin off her back legs and has never been confident over them again, so my tainer admitted to making a mistake and said, "As you don't drop her infront of the fences, then for as long as she jumps well off a long one, keep doing it". Obviously now is the time when she won't keep doing it!

Although the youngster I have now is totally different- she needs setting up for every fence else she goes too fast knocks it down and scares herself silly!

So I do understand about setting them up, but Tara has never jumped well with me doing that, being that all she had done before we had her was hunt (and obviously you don't tend to mess with horses strides out hunting
wink.gif
) I do think though that we are going to take her xcountry next weekend and school her round, setting her up more, to see if it rebuilds her confidence.

Thanks for the advice
smile.gif