ashford market

jester

Visit site
has anyone ever been please and whats it like?

i'm going to the next one on 26th on the lookout for a couple of this years welshie type foals and am a bit concerned i'm going to have to end up sitting on my hands to stop myself bidding against the meat man for every lot!!
frown.gif

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I've been and this is totally my opinion but I would never consider buying a horse from there. I won't go into what I saw but lets just say some of the ponies weren't in the best of conditions. This is totally my opinion though and others may feel differently.

It’s worth going for the tack and other bits though.

Would you not be better buying though a breeder, just a thought?

jester

Visit site
hi joella, thanks for replying, i was afraid this would be the case
frown.gif

i'm looking primarily for companions/future mini-drives so pedigree/breeding isnt important, hence why i was thinking i'd rather offer a good, permanent home to something that might otherwise end up being in a tin. but, i'm also very concious of the fact that by buying these chaps at market you just encourage people to carry on breeding and selling them - its an awful dilema!

will let you know how we get on...

spike123

Visit site
I have brought several horses through the market there and not had any problems.I do know of a couple of people who have brought and had problems but both were riding horses,one warrantied as sound and turned out not to be and the other was warrantied quiet to ride but was a rearer so it is a case of buyer beware.I have seen some sad examples of youngstock there but now HobbsParker like their horses passported before they are entered in the sale and I don't think they do it on the day so you are more likely to get something half decent there rather than something straight off the mountains/moors.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Yes, do let us know how you get on. I didn’t want to put you of completely just maybe prepare you.
I think a lot of dealers sell though the market the horses that they just couldn't sell on. So for the Riding Horses there is usually a very good reason why they are at the sales, if you know what I mean.

Good luck with whatever you end up buying!

lilpete

Visit site
I often go to Ashford Market just for a look, I would never buy a riding type horse from there, but there are often some nice young welsh ponies there, who I would buy.

Frazer

Visit site
I have been there a couple of times now, and was supost to be going to the 28th sale but at now going to sj at cobham manor!! I brought a couple of 14-15h coneremma (spelling) x welsh type ponies there with my friend! All 2/3 year olds, but like everyelse said I would never buy a horse from there for riding club, unless you could handle the consquences of hard work and schooling! Having said that my friend brought a nice 16.2hh shire from there and is great... much perfer gorsebridge (spelling again) sale in ireland though. Tack there is great, always spend way too much

juliehannah58

Visit site
I know people who have bought there, both had great experiences and got bargains. But again, the horses in question where either very young or in another case, a broodmare and foalie. I would certainly get a young horse there and I can honestly say i haven't seen the meat man get any in the ring, perhaps outside. Most don't actually sell! Don't reach the reserv. You'll be suprised as some of them fetch much higher prices than i would ever pay, especially cob and coloured sorts.

My friend bought her yearling there in May for £300, welsh x TB, he was skinny, lousy and had an eye infection when we got him
frown.gif
But just a few weeks later he looked a different horse and he won a potential sports horse inhand class last week!!

Good luck and happy bidding
smile.gif

Lill

Visit site
I think Ashford market is not a bad place to get youngsters from (Its where we bought Blue as a 3yo) and having looked at the online catalogue there are a couple i'd like to see so am thinking of going now!!

The few at the bottom sound a bit sus. There are about 3 which all say 'not been ridden for 18 months' hmmm...
smirk.gif

Vicki1986

Visit site
I know people that have bought there and got good'uns - however sometimes in very poor condition when purchased but got them tip top - you just have to know what your looking at.

my pony went through ashford atleast once maybe more who knows before i got her privately. and she is my superstar
laugh.gif