Aske Ground/novice course-anyone been today??

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Just wondering what people think/thought of the course???

Walked the novice ahead of tomorrow and parts of the ground seemed good, others very cut up but not too soft.

Also just wondering how the novice track rode! ESP the water - big jump into space for a horse that doesn't brush!! :eek: ;)

Gamebird

Visit site
Was going to ask(e):p a similar question as my skinny practice today wsan't as good as I'd hoped. You'll be in my section as there's only one Nov section tomorrow. I usually prefer the Saturday but had to work today.

What was the course like? - I've ridden it a million times but not in the last year or so. I'm guessing they haven't burnt that evil brush corner yet? :eek:

Chloe1

Visit site
Havent been today but am going tomorrow. If the water is the same as it was at aske 1 - brush hedge into water, same as intermediate but trimmed, it rode really well (by another horse who doesn not brush brushes). Also don't remember hearing of any others having problems at it.

Chloe1

Visit site
Also, evil brush corner was set as a related distance on a curve at Aske one and also rode well aslong as you didn't gallop flat out at it. (When I walked Aske 1 i saw 2 intermediates run out at it, completely their own fault, galloping flat out and then couldn't turn).

Hoping it is on the related distance again!

Gamebird

Visit site
Yes, they do ride much better when you've a fence before to help you out. That's why the small-ish corner at Lincoln always caused so many problems whenit was there - single fence on a long galloping straight.

I guess we're all in the same section tomorrow then. Have you all got the huge gap between dressage and SJing? I'm going to walk the XC then but will have a couple more :roll eyes: hours to spare if anyone fancies a coffee.

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Yay! Thanks for heads up on that water jump! Brush corner still there on related distance! Was a bit worried about how churned up the ground was in places but quite a few fences shared with the 100 and also two of last years 100 fences now novice :D.

However, ollie T withdrew all of his ( I think) before xc... Not sure if that was coincidence or cos of ground. I think Nicola Wilson also WD one before XC. But all other pros didn't seem to!
I'm on at 1426 for DR and about 4.15 for sj, do hope I catch you both and heaps if luck!!

Chloe1

Visit site
O do we share quite a few with 100's this time? At Aske 1 we shared quite a few with intermediate (6, although not the huge ones of course!) and none with 100's so they have maybe toned it down a little, although it seemed to ride fine anyway. Probably quite nice really as would hate anything to go wrong at final event of the season! Yes good luck to you both!

Sure ground will be fine!

nofootnohorse

Visit site
I rode the BE100 today (Sat), dr arena was chewed up, I didnt even bother warming up for sj as was chewed to death, extremely deep going and my horse doesnt like sticky mud. To be fair they had moved the jumps on the course to the side for our section but it was awful. The XC was good in parts and very deep in parts......... all I can say ...is good luck!!!! It was one of the few days I didnt actually like it as knew my horse wasnt happy :(

Chloe1

Visit site
Well, had a great day- even a 3rd placing!:D. Mud in some places but i have ridden in much worse at events and they went to lots of effort to keep the going the best it could be. Cannot believe it is the end of the season - what will I do with my weekends now?!

Gamebird

Visit site
I've still got 4 more runs!! Got a reasonable dressage, a rare SJing clear but fell foul of the multiple skinnies XC. Jumped into the water HUGE (fence judge said the biggest jump all day) and got over the evil brush corner. Could have had multiple TFs and still been in the top 5 had we jumped clear XC.... Still, have had a glimpse of what might be to come and know what to work on and had the best feel ever :D

Well done on your placing. Was that in the Nov?

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Oh well done both!! I had a bit of a dressage disaster but was really pleased with SJ as we've been working with a new trainer and my goal was to have a nice calm round which we did but 2 down (1st one unlucky, 2nd my fault for not getting him back enough between fences). It must have been an improvement as the SJ steward made my day by saying what a beautiful jump he had! :D XCwas awesome but sadly had a really unusual run out at the hedgehog!!! :( I think it was due to me being complacent after I was so chuffed with his text book effort at that rotten corner!! Probably one of our poorer results but a day I thoroughly enjoyed anyway! :)

Where are you off to next GB??

Gamebird

Visit site
Well done!

Got two at Bishop next weekend, then one at Askham Bryan and probably one each at Oasby and Norton Disney but haven't got the finer details worked out yet. Missed Oasby entries closing early on the ballot date :mad:, but saw the sec y'day and she's very kindly put me in a prominent position on the waitlist (behind those balloted obviously) and was fairly sure I'd get a run.

Chloe1

Visit site
4 more runs! I wish! Just abit too far really and done quite alot this year so will stick to the sj and dressage.

Glad you enjoyed your run GB, even if it didn't all go to plan this time!

Yes 3rd in the novice! Was horrified at my dressage result 37.5 as thought i had done a good test, but then gave a sigh of relief when some of the other scores started to go up. Had 1 down sj which is not like my boy, but didn't affect results anyway and was determined to get close to xc time after getting 10 time penalties last week at Allerton, so only 0.4.

Shame about the hedgehog HB, but yes, it's easy to relax after the corner! I had abit of a fright over the corner as my boy tried to jump the huge middle bit and somehow managed to drift slightly over to left mid air, thought I was a gonner for a second! Don't know why he did it as I wasn't even holding him in tight, as was pretty confident he would be fine!

Good luck for you final runs both!