Askham Bryan ballot list up!

Gamebird

Visit site
Me, but I wasn't too worried as a) I had a ballot sticker on (I know....) and b) I've entered the open - all the open entries have survived.

I do feel slightly guilty as we don't really 'need' the run, have just entered because it's local and a lovely event. I suppose that's as good a justification as most have got though.

Do you think they'll run two days next year? Would love them to do a Novice too.

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Eeeek! That must be a record for a small event! At least I wasn't going anyway. I do know some people though that must be full members and I am sure wouldn't have already used their October ballot sticker so must just have "forgotten" to put them on :confused: bet they will remember next time!!

I did think they might have put an extra day on to be honest. At this time of year I am not sure their comment about "You may wish to think of entering another event" was very helpful!

Amelia

Visit site
We would Loved to have run; but Congratulations to all those who made it !

Hope you all have a super day.

Last edited:

georgiegirl

Visit site
We are in too thankfully :) sad for those who have been balloted though!

I wonder if BE/askham will agree to 2 days next year? The event is certainly popular enough?

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Oasby looks like it is going to be even more oversubscribed!! 765 entries and even 270 a day would only allow 540 of those to run. They definitely have a nearly full extra day if they could add one

Cashew

Visit site
There are still 427 horses in the mix BE90 - 229, BE100 - 170 and BE100o - 28 surely they will have to run that amount over 2 days as I thought the limit was 280 ish per day? :eek:

I remember parking up there last year and they had huge spot lights strategically placed so you could see where you were going.

DarkHorseB

Visit site
There are still 427 horses in the mix BE90 - 229, BE100 - 170 and BE100o - 28 surely they will have to run that amount over 2 days as I thought the limit was 280 ish per day? :eek:

I remember parking up there last year and they had huge spot lights strategically placed so you could see where you were going.

No the 427 is the original entries you need to remove from that the 157 that appear on the ballot list which leaves 270

tilly17

Visit site
you can "legally" run 292 per day (no idea why it is this random number). But at this time of year running 270 in a day will be pretty tight for daylight hours and doesn't allow for any stoppages on course. I am suprised they didn't run an extra day even if it was just for the money.

tilly17

Visit site
If you have too many entries you close the entries at ballot. Then you have the very difficult job of balloting out people until you reduce the entries to your maximum number. You start with the lowest level and ballot out those horses and riders with day tickets (and anyone who has been very rude!!!!). So if you are running say BE90 through to Intermediate you would ballot out 1 section of BE 90, about 35-40, then you can ballot out 1 section of BE100 and so on. It all depends on the split of your entries, sometimes you would only ballot out BE90's if those sections are completely oversubscribed. Once you have balloted out the day tickets you then loose members who have not put on a ballot sticker and then those who have not used a super ballot. So if you really really want to get into an event put a super ballot sticker on. NEVER get sh**y with the entries secretary if you have missed the ballot, it is suprising how many people are desperate to get into an event and yet year after year don't manage to get their entries in on time, or, are just entering at ballot deadline when their computer goes down etc etc!!! It is awful balloting out people, most people are pretty decent about it some are horrid. Always tick the wait list box as after ballot entries shift quite a lot so there is often a chance to get in, but not if you have called the entries secretary a co****g wa***r!!!

georgiegirl

Visit site
tilly17 - I hope you are not a secretary and have had that happen to you!?!?! omg!

I know someone who is a lecturer at the college who has said that askham bryan would LOVE to do more than 1 day in the future - easily doable in terms of man power for them with all the students and they can use a lot of the 'events organising' as part of their studies - just depends on BE I guess!

Gamebird

Visit site
Can you ask them to build a Novice please. Their other two tracks are super - I'd love to see a Novice. They could chalk it up as land management, woodwork, horticulture... :p

georgiegirl

Visit site
I would love that too GB as Im rather hoping we will be at that stage this time next year!

Wether that would be a go-er I'm not sure?!? We do seem to rather have a BE 'bottleneck' round these parts at this time of year!

tilly17

Visit site
Don't be, its not the worst that has happened!! What is worse is when parents tell you that the child that you have just balloted out has spent most of the year in hospital and has just been given the all clear ! and grannie has died and this is the only thing that will cheer the little darling up.....it goes on!!! and those that contact you after you have spent hours sectioning to say they want early / late times. And the lady who shouted at me for sectioning her exactly as she had requested as I should have known that her husband did the entries and put the wrong information down. I resectioned her and her horses only for the husband to call the next day to say that maybe I had put her in the correct place in the first place and could I move her back!!! Sometimes it is very difficult to be professional as many competitors seem to forget that they are usually one of 500 all with different needs and there is one entries secretary who is trying to please everyone.