Asking on FB for people to donate for your horse's vet treatment

Puppy

Visit site
I've just seen someone on a local horsey group page, linking to a donation page, asking people to donate to pay for her horse's veterinary treatment (sarcoid removal).

When did this become a responsible way of taking care of your animals?! :confused3:

If I start a page asking for donations for a new dressage saddle, would anyone care to donate?! :rolleyes3:

Marydoll

Visit site
Theres nothing to stop them or you asking for stuff, its entirely up to the individual reading it if they want to donate, personally my opinion is if you cant afford the horse, can you really afford to care for it ??

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Nothing wrong in asking, its up to others to decide if they want to help. It's only wrong when people ask dishonestly.
Personally, I wouldn't dream of asking for donations for my horses though.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Seriously though, can you remember the controversy over someone asking for donations to buy a horse off a dealer that they worked for?

By all accounts led to death-threats and people 'going round there'.....not entirely sure of the truth in this, I just followed it along....

...and did make a couple of comments I think!

Sure, if people want to donate up to them but 'A fool and his money are easily parted'....

IF someone is in genuine need then yes, I can see good people helping, but there have been a few of these in the past where people are just looking to make a few quid off the backs of others.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have just got my vets bill and am just off to work out this FB thing .
I think it's a brilliant idea !

Seriously though it's a big issue people buying horses without any comprehension that buying the horse is the cheapest bit of horse ownership .

LaMooch

Visit site
Theres nothing to stop them or you asking for stuff, its entirely up to the individual reading it if they want to donate, personally my opinion is if you cant afford the horse, can you really afford to care for it ??

Agree with this

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
There was a similar thread about this a while back. As posters have said there's nothing stopping people 'begging' but I wouldn't send any money as I believe you need to either insure your horse or ensure you have sufficient funds to look after him.

Sometimes, specially in difficult times like we've had over the past few years, it's too easy & cheap to buy a horse & little thought goes into how much it costs to keep one.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
The big thing that bugs me, is that a lot those sort of requests are people expecting something for nothing. It's bit like entering a dressage competition and not schooling and then getting upset with a poor mark, going on FB and slagging the judge whilst all your buddies go 'the judge was blind, you was robbed' etc etc. I see it more and more these days and it is sad. Horses are hard work and I wasn't allowed one until I could make a contribution to costs as like many others have said, it is not the buying of the horse that is expensive, you can get them for free these days, it is the keeping that costs!

rowan666

Visit site
I was a bit silly last month and paid all my vets bills out of my own pocket, stupid i know! can i still ask for a refund so i can get random fb people to pay fot it instead??

I think its ridiculous, and sarcoid treatment! Really? Thats not even an emergancy life saving operation that could out of desperation almost justify someone begging cap in hand to strangers! Madness! Smells like the beeston lot! :/

Equi

Visit site
I knew someone who did this. Asked for help for their 30yo tb who they still rode everyday for hours. They eventually abandoned the horse, so who knows where the money went.