Assisted DIY - how much???

horsegirl

Visit site
I recently went to look at another yard and they are charging £200 a month assisted DIY. For this they feed & turnout on a daily basis. Would/do you pay this much? This does not include any hay/bedding/feed.

Tempi

Visit site
sounds about right for turnout and feeding every single day. my yard is normal DIY but there is a woman who will turnout/feed in the mornings if you need it, she charges £2 a time, so if you times that by say 30 (on average) days in a month its an extra £60 a month. My yard is already £155 a month (only includes hay and no other bedding) so adding an extra £60 on top of that it would be £215 for me - so it really does sound reasonable if you break it down like that.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If you are providing the feed & all they are doing is putting the feedskip in the stable & then turning them out into a paddock for you I think it's expensive. I'm in Warwickshire/Staffordshire Border & it's expensive for here, but in other parts of the country it may not be?

horsegirl

Visit site
well considering I pay £130 now for exactly the same it seems a bit steep. They are not providing the feed just putting the bucket over the door.

eventingdiva

Visit site
one yard i work at charges £45 per week for feeding and turning out and bringing in every day, including stable and use of facilities etc.
another charges £27 per week plus £2.50 per turn out/bring in. horses here are all fed together in the morning anyway x

CSYMolly

community.webshots.com
I pay £145 a month that includes feeding in 3 times a day (not on weekends though, we have a rota) and use of floodlit schools and that is it. Pay £1 each way for turnout. So yeah would say that is about right, depends where you are too I guess.

Parkranger

Visit site
We're surrey and pay £255 for turnout, feeding and feed, hay, bringing in, rugging up and they'll stick hay and water in the stable if the owners not around. Doesn't include mucking out but does include 1 bag of shavings a week.....

CJ1

Visit site
im in the costly place in the uk (SE London/Kent boarders) and pay £152 a month for feed/turn out (rug change if needed) Mon-Fri, eveything else DIY.

eahotson

Visit site
Depends on what else is on yard. Does it, for instance, include use of a good school. What are the stables/yard and turnout like?Good facilites are usually fairly expensive.

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I pay 20 per week (so about 90 a month) for basic DIY then 50p per task for all 'assisted' bits.

Going on this, I would think that 200 a month wasn't cheap but I don't think it is outrageous. I suppose it depends on what the facilities are like, how much turnout, and where you are based? I'm on the Devon/Somerset border.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Good lord that's pricey. Way too much. I would expect to pay around £140-50 max for assisted DIY. That would be based on turn out or bring in (not both) 5 days a week every week.

Halfpass

Visit site
I pay £27.50 a week basic DIY so thats £117.85 on a 30 day month plus £2.50 turnout / bring in plus a rug change and feed so thats a potential £5 per day thats another £130 per month so if I needed turnout bring in and feed each day my bill would be £247.85 on an average month. Thank god I don't and its only on a very rare occasion I can't do it myself I'd be skint (ok more skint than I am now anyway). So comaparing yours to me i'd say £200 per month was cheap but I am way down south which is very expensive plus i'm sure if I needed that everyday they would come up with a set price which would probably be about £200

jennystreek

Visit site
I am on the south east london/kent borders and pay £100 per month for DIY (not brilliant facillities, but lots of fields to ride round) which i think is cheap. There are women around that i can pay to do jobs, ie i give £2.50 for her to soak my 3 haynets for me every morning (cant bear another winter of putting my hands in icy water!!!).

However, I looked at Nurstead Court in Meopham, and they wanted £65 for part livery, which was all hay/feed plus 5 days of doing everything (muck out/rugs/turnout etc) - that works out at £260 a month ,so it seems that £200 is incredibly expensive for a basic DIY unless you're in central london or something !
shocked.gif

equibabe20

Visit site
I pay about £150 a month for basic livery in Buckinghamshire, but we have 3 floodlit schools one of which is indoor, the other olympic size and a xc-course and show jumping course and off road hacking. all our feeds and haynets are put in free and any other services charged for. Turnout is £1.50 a day.