Assisted/part/full livery - what do you pay, & what do you get?

Puppy

Visit site
After the best part of a decade with our own little yard we're looking into putting a couple of ours on livery, at least until Spring time, so we can get more riding done.

As per the title, I was wondering what sort of prices people are paying, and what you get for your money? (and what area).

TIA :)

ihatework

Visit site
£115 per week - Thames Valley - classed as part livery (small private yard), 7 days a week 365 days a year

Includes top quality haylage, bespoke feeding, 1 bale of shavings a week (extra charged at cost). BI/TO/rug change. Full groom every day. Muck out to highest standard. Lorry parking. 20 x 40 school, secure tack room. Access to private off road canter tracks (only available to the 5 liveries). All year grazing, excellent fencing.

Not got the fanciest of facilities, but made up for with the individual care and attention.

Jesstickle

Visit site
ihatework, that sounds soo nice.

weirdly p, I was just thinking about part livery this morning and wondering if it would be too much money. Will follow with interest :)

Hot2Trot

Visit site
Assisted livery £70pw. Turn out/bring in, rugs changed, feet picked, feeds and haynets. Staw/hay/feed etc all included. I'm in Essex.

ihatework

Visit site

weirdly p, I was just thinking about part livery this morning and wondering if it would be too much money. Will follow with interest :)

It's lovely! Being slightly OCD'ish and control-freak in nature - this is the first part/full livery I have been on whereby I am starting to relax and enjoy it, rather than worrying about what the yard have/haven't done in my absence! It's rare to say a YM has higher standards than yourself :D

Puppy

Visit site

Verrry nice! :cool:

Ha! It would be awesome if we were at the same yard :)

I am SOOO exhausted from coaching + all the daily poo picking, dishing out feed/hay/water for 4, that I'm just not getting the riding in that M, and especially C, really need. I figured I might as well make my life easier and more enjoyable by spending some of my coaching pay on livery, but it feels a big leap after all this time of having my own place.

Puppy

Visit site
It's lovely! Being slightly OCD'ish and control-freak in nature - this is the first part/full livery I have been on whereby I am starting to relax and enjoy it, rather than worrying about what the yard have/haven't done in my absence! It's rare to say a YM has higher standards than yourself :D

yes, that is exactly why i start getting twitchy when I think about it. :eek: I also REALLY don't want to relinquish control of my horses' diets but wonder if I shall sound like the livery from hell if I say I want part/full livery, but to provide my own made up feeds :eek: One of the last times I had one staying at the vets I had a complete melt down over this, as they kept feeding her hard feed, when I'd expressly told them not to about 3 times!!

JenJ

Visit site
Epsom, Surrey, part livery £550/month. All feed, haylage, 2 bales shavings/week. All usual daily care except grooming, riding, tack cleaning.

20x60 school, 35x35 school with jumps. Both floodlit (extra cost). Horsewalker. Old racing yard so 1/2 mile 'canter track' on grass/sand outside perimeter of fields for riding anytime. However limited turnout - 2-3 hrs day. Can access yard any reasonable hour - staff on site from 6-7am, one livery is there every night at 11pm!

Very happy yard.

ihatework

Visit site
yes, that is exactly why i start getting twitchy when I think about it. :eek: I also REALLY don't want to relinquish control of my horses' diets but wonder if I shall sound like the livery from hell if I say I want part/full livery, but to provide my own made up feeds :eek: One of the last times I had one staying at the vets I had a complete melt down over this, as they kept feeding her hard feed, when I'd expressly told them not to about 3 times!!

The key to it is finding a YM that doesn't have too many opinions on how certain things (i.e. feeding & rugging) should be done, but are instead of the mindset that whatever the paying customer wants, they do - whether or not it is what they would do themselves. It is actually quite difficult to find that in a YM, a lot always know better and tell you one thing but do another ...

Jesstickle

Visit site
Ha! It would be awesome if we were at the same yard :)

I am SOOO exhausted from coaching + all the daily poo picking, dishing out feed/hay/water for 4, that I'm just not getting the riding in that M, and especially C, really need. I figured I might as well make my life easier and more enjoyable by spending some of my coaching pay on livery, but it feels a big leap after all this time of having my own place.

Are you moving to Bury then ;) Four to poo pick is just the most dire thought. I'm really lucky as I am on a rota now. I turn out and bring in and in return I hardly have to do any muck picking at all!

I do have time to do mine really, I'm just being lazy now. But it was part of the impetus to cut back to one as I would dearly love to go somewhere where going away for a weekend wouldn't just be a massive PITA and where if I finish work late my poor pony doesn't just stand in the mud waiting for me.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Surrey/Kent borders £187 pcm for t/o, b/i, all rug changes, fed AM and PM (I leave made up feeds), on days in he is fed, hayed, watered and skipped out (deep littered) AM and PM.

blood_magik

Visit site
I'm in Glasgow - horses are kept in Newton Mearns, which is a half hour drive from my house.
We pay £100/week for full livery and get:
- basic feed (nuts, mix and chaff)
- 3 bales of shavings
- turnout/bring in and rug change
- groom/pick out feet
- feeding
- haylage

there's an indoor and an outdoor. The indoor is normally only free at lunch-time Mon-Fri and after hours though so it's a bit of a pain. Exercising, clipping is extra.

Dumbo

Visit site
I'm on assisted DIY - they bring in/turnout, feed and muck out. Pay £30 a week which includes a stable, grazing, use of the small school and the extras. I provide my own shavings, haylage and feed

kc100

Visit site
My share horse is kept on assisted DIY livery at around £45 per week - we are Solihull/North Warwickshire area.

That includes unlimited haylage, feed and bring in (AM) 5 days per week, secure tack room, 40 x 60 floodlit school, horse walker, wash box and regular visits from top local trainers doing jumping/dressage clinics. We also have the option of bringing in, taking rug off and feeding PM (or AM & PM weekends) if required for £1.50 extra per go, offering a bit more flexibility.

If you want control over feeds perhaps you could go with assisted DIY instead? I leave the boy's feed outside his stable made up for the mornings so the yard just gives him the feed before they turn him out.

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
I paid 37.50 per week - west mids - for assisted livery - Inc Turn out am , unrestricted hay in winter, one bale of shavings (not enough) and obligated to buy more from Y at inflated price, year round turnout, use of good school, jumps and XC course (gosh I miss that) and limited field edge riding. YO decided to scale back business and rather than ask people to go she just one at a time picked them off by picking horrid fights with them. In the end she said to me 'Its not my job to provide you with a decent stable - its not a Fxxxxx horse hotel - if you don't like it go' - needless to say, I did. After all a livery IS basically a horse hotel!

I pay 35 a week now for pure DIY inc stable, straw, and rather limited turn out and use of school.

I have never had assisted or part where by I was not in charge of the what my horse was fed. I made up feeds and left them in the given place

asommerville

Visit site
Glasgow 5 day full livery, hay £65 per week 2 cracking school, all year turnout and good hacking i supply my own feed and shavings
...i like that though im ocd

ossy

Visit site
Cheshire now... £400 per month - full livery includes; BI, TO rug change, full groom everyday, full muck out daily, 1 bale shavings a week, secure tack room, adlib haylage, 2x feeds per day, 20x60 school with some jumps, all year turnout, hot water shower, haybars, rubber matting and auto waters in all stables, horsebox parking. Its a lovely little yard only about 9 of us and we all get on relaly well, go for drinks and things reguarly. Owners lives on site can text her anytime if have worries/ problem. Exercise is charged extra but still very reasonable.

JulesRules

Visit site
My share horse is kept on assisted DIY livery at around £45 per week - we are Solihull/North Warwickshire area.

That includes unlimited haylage, feed and bring in (AM) 5 days per week, secure tack room, 40 x 60 floodlit school, horse walker, wash box and regular visits from top local trainers doing jumping/dressage clinics. We also have the option of bringing in, taking rug off and feeding PM (or AM & PM weekends) if required for £1.50 extra per go, offering a bit more flexibility.

If you want control over feeds perhaps you could go with assisted DIY instead? I leave the boy's feed outside his stable made up for the mornings so the yard just gives him the feed before they turn him out.

What yard are you on KC?

catwithclaws

Visit site
Hampshire

Assisted livery £280pcm

Includes stable, turnout, use of 2 arenas (one 20x40 and one 30x60) use of 2 further arenas at £10ph (60x60 and an indoor 30x60) on site hacking and affiliated and unaffiliated shows.

Ad-lib hay or haylage, straw or shavings, and feed is inclusive - along with 3 days a week full services

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
Buckinghamshire.

£575 PCM for part livery with 1 x schooling and 2 x hacking per week.

Is for 7 days per week, feed, hay and straw all included. Includes feeding, putting haynets in, rug changes when necessary, turnout and bring in, feet pick out and full muck out each day as well as late night checks.

Have indoor school, outdoor school, good grazing 24/7, decent hacking, storage areas and secure tack room.

Theocat

Visit site
£273pcm - stable, daily turnout in massive fields with masses of grass, excellent hay / haylage (grown on site), feed and bedding included, TO/BI, muck out, rug and boot changes as necessary seven days a week. Trailer parking, outdoor floodlit school with lovely surface, jumping paddock, cross country course, secure tack room, separate feed room with individual spaces in both. Fab YO on site always happy to help. Very friendly, supportive yard. Hacking slightly pants but I'm not complaining - it's a bargain! I'm in Yorkshire.

Shutterbug

Visit site
I'm on DIY - it works out at £108 a month - this includes stable, field, outdoor school, secure tack room, storage for my own hay and shavings and access to great hacking around the nature reserve which is on our doorstep :D Price includes helpful liveries who are all lovely and supportive of each other which to be honest is a very welcome added bonus :D

Puppy

Visit site
Thanks all :) This is really helpful. May I ask what you pay for individual sevices, like x1 muck out, x1 TO/BI, x1 putting in feed, x1 rug change, etc.

Shutterbug

Visit site
Thanks all :) This is really helpful. May I ask what you pay for individual sevices, like x1 muck out, x1 TO/BI, x1 putting in feed, x1 rug change, etc.

At my last yard the £30 weekly DIY charge included turn out. Any "full livery" days which included mucking out, feed, hay and water was charged at £5 per day.

On my current yard we are pure DIY so no extra services to be charged for, so we have a rota which we have set up for turning out and bringing in - I cant bring in as I'm always done by the time everyone else gets to the yard so I turn out 3 mornings a week and one day a week my friend (fellow livery) will skip him out for me and feed/water him. It works out really well because we work together and trust each other and the YO does not suffer fools and wouldn't have it not working well :D

travelmad

Visit site
£155 a month for private paddock, 2 feeds a day (I supply feed), all hay, plus checks, water checks, filling up hay, and all straw and stable.... Very good facilities (indoor, outdoor) and option to pay staff for other tasks. That's Oxfordshire

Kittyk

Visit site
We're in North Kent (near junc 3 M25) and for Part Livery 7 day, I pay £325 pcm/£75 pwk includes shavings x 1, feed (once a day) and hay, muck out, to/bi. Which is very cheap for the area, reason being the school is very small and so really you have to ride in a field. Hacking not great but the standard of care is good. Turnout is all day from 7am til 3 in winter and 24/7 in summer. Use of lorry to shows etc.

We also have a loan horse on a dressage full livery yard, £455 pcm inc 2 feeds a day, hay, shavings, horse walker, turnout is half day and they have a large school. Exceptional standard of care. I think schooling is an additional £25 per session.