Aston Intermediate - Also thoughts re a travelling issue

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Well in light of other HHO reports we did not avoid the excitement on the way to the event. First off whilst stuck in a jam on the M5 Smartie dog decided to eat a wasp - I told him not to! He then proceeded to vigorously try and spit it out :( Wasp out and I thought he had got away with it until I saw his lip start to droop and swell - still stuck in jam I am now worrying I have a dying dog who would stop breathing or get his airway obstructed. Luckily it was just his lip and he looked like someone had given him a hefty whack, no other ill effects and no lesson learnt!

As if that wasn't enough :eek: shortly before arriving we nearly had a nasty accident, a car decided to pull out of the junction on my left, it realised it was too tight but was committed and then the stupid car stopped in the middle of my side! I braked hard and then realising I was never going to stop managed to swerve round onto wrong side of road and miss car. Luckily only damage was one bust kindle! I was shaking when we pulled up at the stabling.

My experience of Aston was that their courses were usually on the softer side and ideal first timer (this was our third but wanted an easier one). Typically not this time, the event was being used as a trial for the U21s and had a variety of testing combinations including a big double of corners, ski jump with drop on landing to skinny brush and big hedge to 2 skinnies on the turn. Course pictures on my website. There was nothing that I didn’t think we couldn’t do but plenty of places to make a mistake.

So a good nights sleep and arrived at Aston. Quick walk round the course again and check of the ground. The night before it had been quite hard but they had only just started spiking, by the next morning it was very good. Dressage was a bit mediocre, I was slightly late getting down there and we were just 10 minutes short of being properly warmed up and I needed to be looser for my sitting trot as I still really struggle with this! A 37.3 adequately reflected our test and is our worst score to date at this level.

Show jumping was on a surface a decent track but not the technicality of Pontispool and Salperton earlier in the season. She jumped a super round, we were just a bit off the treble going in and had that but I was pleased with 4 faults.

[video=youtube;WZmgqz08aJE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZmgqz08aJE[/video]

DSC_0026_zps96961a34.jpg

DSC_0033_zps21d77fd6.jpg

So onto XC and as they were short of competitors I changed quickly and made my way across. Considering the bigger events coming up and our already over 40 score I decided to take it steady cross country and focus on a good clear (well that was the theory would it work in practice!)

Set out and jumped the first 4 nicely. Turned to the water and up the ramp where she went a little green and looky but kept my leg on and popped, cantered through the water and up the second ramp before jumping the naked lady!

DSC_0044_zps141845db.jpg

DSC_0049_zps0c45fcbf.jpg

DSC_0053_zpsce8df0a9.jpg

DSC_0055_zps834218e3.jpg

A house on the mound to another skinny house we did on 3 1/2 rather than 3 but she was clever and quick. A simple if not rather large brush and ditch followed before perhaps the most difficult combination an acutely angled double of corners.

IMG_0465_zps00456c1f.jpg

There had been much head scratching as what the best route through was you could go left to left, right to right or left to right. I chose right to right using the hedge to help me line up, this seemed to be the popular early route although later left to left was preferred. I got a good stride to the first corner, she kept very straight and made it easily in 3. A simple fence before the *big hedge to two skinnies the second on a curve.

IMG_0470_zpsb0cafc81.jpg

Jumped the hedge well and kept straight to the skinny, had to take more of a yank than I wanted to the 3rd element but it was effective!

DSC_0059_zps8acb7a65.jpg

Totally missed her at the next plain fence and gave it a rattle and then onto another new question for Pip a ski jump with a sheer slope on landing with 5 strides to a triple brush.

IMG_0477_zps3dd0cffe.jpg

IMG_0478_zpsf15c96d0.jpg

Got a really good bouncy SJ canter and pushed the last two strides she took off then I suddenly felt her draw her knees up and peer at where she should be landing, I slipped the reins to the buckle and kicked towards the skinny and she flew it - lots of pats again. Cruised over the market stall and then onto the coffin with you guessed it skinny elements at a and c, jumped this super slightly more forward than I would usually jump a fence like this but the profile of the fences encouraged this

A decent brush into water had me sitting tight after 20 penalties at Salperton water, gave her a tap on take off and hailed a cab but stayed firmly in place easily meeting the c element out.

IMG_0485_zps2097abe8.jpg

Popped the last to finish clear with 17 odd time but that didn’t matter on the day. Wanted a good solid round before Blair CCI* and the CIC** at Gatcombe. So really pleased with her. Finished about 20th Thanks for the pictures to Nick Perry

However we are starting to have a little travelling issue. About 30 minutes before we get home always after eventing but irrespective of whether the journey is 2hrs or as in this case 7hrs she starts banging. On each journey the banging has started sooner and been more vigorous, she is pawing ad giving it what for with front and back feet as well as head butting the haynets! She is in serious danger of damaging herself and the lorry and it is quite frightening to drive with. She won't do this on short jouneys at home. I have hobbles but loath to use them as she is the panicy type with something like that plus I would need to put them on front and back and I am still not sure it would stop it. Anyone had anything similar or have any ideas?

Last edited:

HotToTrot

Visit site
Super result, clear round the xc! I was there in the Novice yesterday. Good pics too, and unlucky on the SJ.

CambridgeParamour

Visit site
Sounds like a really good day!! Love the first show jumping pic, she looks like a pro :) Well done!

Re the lorry issue- Rio used to so this about half hour (ish) away from home, and also started trying to lay down! We figured out most of the time it was because he needed a wee... so annoying! I used to have to stay in the back while grandad drove and shout 'no' and sometimes hold him up so he wouldnt go down. Strangely enough the last few events he's had a wee before we've left, ad he hasnt done it...

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Sounds like a really good day!! Love the first show jumping pic, she looks like a pro :) Well done!

Re the lorry issue- Rio used to so this about half hour (ish) away from home, and also started trying to lay down! We figured out most of the time it was because he needed a wee... so annoying! I used to have to stay in the back while grandad drove and shout 'no' and sometimes hold him up so he wouldnt go down. Strangely enough the last few events he's had a wee before we've left, ad he hasnt done it...

She had a wee half way home so not that!

Liane

Visit site
Well done :) I love seeing the fences and hearing your reports :) Haven't had the travel problem personally but could you buy a small bag of really tasty haylage and give it to her just before you think she is going to start playing up? With the hope of distracting her and breaking the cycle?

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Well done :) I love seeing the fences and hearing your reports :) Haven't had the travel problem personally but could you buy a small bag of really tasty haylage and give it to her just before you think she is going to start playing up? With the hope of distracting her and breaking the cycle?

Yes we were thinking something like that :)

digger2

Visit site
Huge well done, love reading your reports, good luck for your next comps - cant believe you're heading to Blair from Cornwall!!!!!!!! cricky how long are you expecting to take :)

AandK

Visit site
Well done! Great report and fab pics :smile3: can't help re that travel issue.. But I hope you can sort it! Good luck for Blair and Gatcome!

Wishful

Visit site
Is it related(timing wise) to the pink concrete on the A30 which gives different vibration or is it when you come off dual carriageways to slower roads so she knows she's close? Not sure how your timings would fit...

Anything similar happen on outwards journeys?

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Is it related(timing wise) to the pink concrete on the A30 which gives different vibration or is it when you come off dual carriageways to slower roads so she knows she's close? Not sure how your timings would fit...

Anything similar happen on outwards journeys?

It used to be when we got to the end of the dual carriageway about 20 min from home but each time it starts eariler and earlier now about 45min from home but no trigger. Nothing on the outward journeys!

JVB

Visit site
I am having similar travelling problems with my youngster, he will be fine going out but on the way home will paw, kick and generally get upset, he even threw his head up last time and bashed in the lorry roof, my friend had to go in the back with him to try and keep him calm which did help but it was still a horrible journey and left me shaking.

I've put it down to him just being worried about being on his own so I've gone right back to basics of feeding him in the lorry, grooming, tacking up - everything, several times a week.

I have to say it is helping, first couple of times I just held him in there while he ate his dinner, third time I tried to tie him up and leave him to eat his dinner and as soon as I was further away near the ramp he was head up, moving, looking scared.

6th day of this and I can now leave him tied up, walk round the outside of the lorry and be about 15 feet away while he eats his dinner, I've now moved on to fastening him in with a partition and just standing with him for 5 minutes, then back out again.

He's slowly getting more relaxed.

Might be different for yours, guess it depends on age and temperament, mine is usually laid back for most things, but he is exracer, only did about 9 races but I don't know what his travelling experiences were

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Just thinking outloud so please ignore my ramblings if they are not relevant to her!

I like the suggestion of some haylage just before you get home, although that will always mean having to remember to stop and near home I tend to just want to get home!

Some horses get fed up with the road noise - perhaps try her with ear covers? sounds silly but I have heard of it helping.

Def not hobbles, not a fan of them as have seen a horse come down with them on - some horses are fine but if likely to panic I would steer clear

I doubt a mirror would help? maybe she gets fed up on the way home - as its not on the way out - perhaps its a bit of tiredness? she also knows she is now heading home. If it was really bad - you could try stopping and riding her somewhere so she stops thinking she is heading home.

can she hear you in the lorry? can you speak to her - it might be that she is getting fed up of being on her own??

sorry its a bit rambly - just on coffee at work and need caffeine!

rotters13

Visit site
Well done! I was dressage stewarding on the Thursday and saw you trot past!

No idea re travelling issue. Is she different with another horse there?