at a loss what to do with this young horse 2 steps forward 10 back

tikino

Visit site
my 3 yr old got a abscess in august and will on box rest stopped eating lost a load of weight and interest in life. vet came out and took bloods and her her liver bloods where all of with Gamma GT highly elevated, also Alk Phosphate, AST, CK. vet at that time queried grass sickness because she was so anorexic and was also producing excess saliva etc. we bought alsorts of feeding etc and then got equine dentist in again (he had saw her about months previous) he notice she had a few diastemas as her teeth were changing so he washed her mouth out etc and treated this.

eventually she would pick at grass and we decided she would be better out if she would graze slowly she started picking at bucket feeds etc. we continued to take her bloods at regular intervals and the above bloods where still elevated but improving slightly each month. then she stoped eating again.

she went to the vet school at this stage and they repeated the bloods and still elevated and they performed a liver ultrasound but liver looked normal which they found strange. they spoke about doing a biopsy but decided to leave it at this stage they also notice when checking her mouth that she had a few loose caps and ulceration which they treated but said she was to young to treat the diastemas as her adult teeth need to be in before they can treat it properly.

so she came home and went back on to hunger strike and after a few days eventually started eating with the help of antibiotics that my own vet prescribed. bloods still not great but better.

last lot of bloods took on thursday and all still elevated but report says further improvement in liver parameters so wee are all really pleased. vet says why don't you start lightley backing her.

then disaster strikes, on Saturday i felt sorry with her because she was in due to her having rubbish feet and she keeps pulling her shoes of on the fence. i decided to take her for a wee walk so i got on my other mare (her mother) and took her out for a wee walk ride and lead wee quietly walked round the fields and it was just lovely mother and daughter both my pride and joys out a lovely walk then it all went bank as she came to a halt and refused to walk forward first i was like come on Ellie don't be lazy then i realize all was not well. so promptly got of my other horse Skye and by this point Ellie was sweating like made and her back end had seized she has mega tied up. so nephew came to the rescue with my horsebox and vet was called to the field.

vet has been out every day since Saturday bloods have been re taken and we are awaiting the result i am at a total loss as to what is going on with my youngster and what they way forward is. any advice will be taken on board as i am stumped what to do for my baby

LilMissy

Visit site
My three year old has been ill, since aug. Within six hours between checks he went from fine to sick, he had dropped soo much weight he looked like an rspca case. He wasnt colicing at all. He was unsteady on his feet and very very depressed.

Stomach tap was done. Immediately looked awful. Knew immediately that he had peritonitis. Subsequent scan of abdomen- all of it not just liver. Has shown that he has an abcess on his spleen.

Yours is showing exactly the same signs but much worse. I imagine that my boy would have been the same if he hadnt been treated correctly. Spleenic abcesses apparently often show mobility issues, wobbly, seizing up etc. He has it biopsied and has been on massive doses of antibiotics to sort it out. Last scan showed it was reducing in size and he has started to put weight on and perk up. Vet recommended that he stay out 24/7 with his herd as it kept him moving and so he didnt seize up.

Please please get stomach tap done asap. it can be done at home by competant vet and is immediately obvious if there is a problem. Peritonitis doesnt always show with colic!!

LilMissy

Visit site
I hope you get to the bottom of her illness soon. I definately think a stomach tap is worth doing as its not a major procedure and you get an immediate result which can then be tested. If clear stomach tap then at least you have ruled out peritonitis etc.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Would it be worth having her referred to one of the 'big vets' / big hospitals?
Just seems like you are getting no where with the current vet.

dianchi

Visit site
Feel for you, my yearling has (currently) undeterminable lameness. Doing my head in and im only a month in, so can understand your pain. Would def recomend a tap so that you can get an idea whats going on in there. Good luck and keep us updated