at a loss what to do with this young horse 2 steps fprward 10 back

tikino

Visit site
my 3 yr old got a abscess in august and will on box rest stopped eating lost a load of weight and interest in life. vet came out and took bloods and her her liver bloods where all of with Gamma GT highly elevated, also Alk Phosphate, AST, CK. vet at that time queried grass sickness because she was so anorexic and was also producing excess saliva etc. we bought alsorts of feeding etc and then got equine dentist in again (he had saw her about months previous) he notice she had a few diastemas as her teeth were changing so he washed her mouth out etc and treated this.

eventually she would pick at grass and we decided she would be better out if she would graze slowly she started picking at bucket feeds etc. we continued to take her bloods at regular intervals and the above bloods where still elevated but improving slightly each month. then she stoped eating again.

she went to the vet school at this stage and they repeated the bloods and still elevated and they performed a liver ultrasound but liver looked normal which they found strange. they spoke about doing a biopsy but decided to leave it at this stage they also notice when checking her mouth that she had a few loose caps and ulceration which they treated but said she was to young to treat the diastemas as her adult teeth need to be in before they can treat it properly.

so she came home and went back on to hunger strike and after a few days eventually started eating with the help of antibiotics that my own vet prescribed. bloods still not great but better.

last lot of bloods took on thursday and all still elevated but report says further improvement in liver parameters so wee are all really pleased. vet says why don't you start lightley backing her.

then disaster strikes, on Saturday i felt sorry with her because she was in due to her having rubbish feet and she keeps pulling her shoes of on the fence. i decided to take her for a wee walk so i got on my other mare (her mother) and took her out for a wee walk ride and lead wee quietly walked round the fields and it was just lovely mother and daughter both my pride and joys out a lovely walk then it all went bank as she came to a halt and refused to walk forward first i was like come on Ellie don't be lazy then i realize all was not well. so promptly got of my other horse Skye and by this point Ellie was sweating like made and her back end had seized she has mega tied up. so nephew came to the rescue with my horsebox and vet was called to the field.

vet has been out every day since Saturday bloods have been re taken and we are awaiting the result i am at a total loss as to what is going on with my youngster and what they way forward is. any advice will be taken on board as i am stumped what to do for my baby

be positive

Visit site
Has she been scoped for ulcers, the excess salvia, going off feed when on box rest could be linked.
She has now tied up so you will need to really address her diet and management, keeping her in is not going to help whatever is causing her problems, she needs to have plenty of turnout and a routine to ensure she never needs to stay in unless she is really injured or unwell.

I do not understand how she pulls her shoes off on a fence, is she not just over reaching and taking them off? some boots could help or taking the shoes off and doing some light work unshod or with hoof boots if they are poor.

A suitable diet for ulcers, tying up and good feet would be the place to start, what is she currently fed?

tikino

Visit site
she is fed on fibre nuts and chaff and water to wet it with benevit multi vit. she has to stay in just now until she recovers from the tying up as to sore and risk of more damage to her muscles. i am very consious of gastric ulcers as had a horse in the past with ulcers so she has been scoped and doesn't have them. sorry forgot to mention she doesn't have ulcers

be positive

Visit site
The tying up may not be related to her earlier problems although I would think there will be a link, it just may be hard to find it. Once she can go out again you really do need to make sure she gets out every day, mares are more prone to tying up for some reason.

A diet high on fat is usually recommended but with her liver issues that may not be right for her, I would contact an independent nutritionist and get advice as well as asking your vet, all her symptoms and bloods need to be considered when looking into her diet.
I had a mare tie up once due to very good quality hay, it came out of the blue and the only thing that had changed was a new hay supply, it would be worth soaking it if you are not already doing so.

jeeve

Visit site
I can't say I can help but I would suggest rading Pat Coleby's Natural Horse Care book, it has a heap of suggestions re balancing vitamins/minerals which can cause alsorts of bizarre health issues if not addressed.

Further, she has contact detail in back of book, and you could call her, she may be able to suggest something.

cornbrodolly

Visit site
very sorry to hear you have had such a bad time - poor horse to be so ill! When I read it all I kept coming back to grass sickness as the cause ,is it definitely not that?