At last! Advice and pep talk needed please

parsley

Visit site
Finally someone is coming to see the pony. I have said no to a lot of people with novice, nervous kids and this person could be OK. They are coming tommorow - any last minute advice?

Tia

Visit site
Remain calm. As SN says, try not to chatter much. Tell them only things they need to know and then leave it to them to speak.

parsley

Visit site
Just advice on making it happen! I want him to have a lovely home that appreciates him and for him not have to stay with me
grin.gif

actually the chattering bit - I waffle on and on getting myself deeper and deeper in the poo.

I was going to wash his mane and tail, groom him etc and have him in when they come. - any problems with that?

I hope they don't ask to have him on trial - I really don't want to let him go away for weeks somewhere I don't know. Someone asked me the other day and I said I would consider if after all my paid for advertising was finished.

Tia

Visit site
If you feel the need to chatter then use this skill to ask about what they would like to do with the pony; basically vet them.

When they ask you questions try to only answer the question without waffling as yes this can happen you end up saying something which they could misconstrue.

Be friendly but be honest.

If they offer you a price which is lower than you want, tell them no sorry.

If they try to get you to trial the pony, say no but perhaps offer to allow them to come back and ride him at your place over the next week or so, providing you don't have any viewers.

If.....and this is VERY important......you aren't sure whether they are the right people for the pony then don't make the deal. Say you will have to think it over and will call them back in the morning.

Some people like to see horses already in and groomed and tacked up etc. I don't! That's why I always turn up early - I want to see the horse being caught, tacked up etc.

Definitely wash him though so that you only have to give a light groom when they arrive - nice clean tails do it for me!

Tia

Visit site
Oh and don't forget to have a suitable rider to show the horse off before letting them loose on him!

parsley

Visit site
I haven't got a rider
crazy.gif
frown.gif
Only me - although he goes around nicely when I ride him but I am miles to large for him to ride more than 10 mins.

[ QUOTE ]
If they try to get you to trial the pony, say no but perhaps offer to allow them to come back and ride him at your place over the next week or so, providing you don't have any viewers

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a really good idea thanks

Sal_E

Visit site
That's ok - explain that as you are too big for him you will show w/t/c on both reins & then hand him over.

I'd make sure he (& his tack) are immaculate - it makes a good impression. Smart sure you are fairly smart as well.

Don't be afraid to vet the potential buyer, he is still YOUR pony so it's up to you who does what & when... You are looking for genuine people who will have answers to your questions & should really put him to the test - they are buying a child's pony so you should expect them to want to see him taken up the road etc etc.

If you have any photos of him competing or whatever, that's always a nice thing to produce, along with passport/jabs info etc.

parsley

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you have any photos of him competing or whatever, that's always a nice thing to produce, along with passport/jabs info etc

[/ QUOTE ]

good idea!!! I have a lovley photo of him with his previous owner at NCPA and I can dig some nice ones of him out with my son.

Sal_E

Visit site
Parsley - don't get too wound up. He's YOUR pony, YOU are in control & ultimately, it's YOUR decision - you're not on an interview, it's merely a meeting to see if pony & new child are suited; they may be, then again they may not be... And if it doesn't work out, odds are the next one will! Maybe try to think of this as your 'practice' run.

icklechlo

Visit site
one thing i found with my friends horse which was for sale, dont have the pony tacked up ready, otherwise people assume there is a problem with putting the bridle on and stuff, silly things like that, just think that if you were going to see a horse it might seem suspicious! xx good luck, i hope it all goes well!

4whitesocks

Visit site
good to groom & tack up with them there (or at least show pony's not averse to being groomed....)

whatever you do don't agree to a trial - ever ever ever....my last horse went on trial for 3 days because they begged and pleaded and it was a youngish girl and her Muma nd I felt I really should give them lots of time with him so they were sure......BIG mistake - they dumped him back in the stable after day 2 didn't tell me they were bringing him back his legs were covered in cuts and we suspectthey fought with him over something and he turned over....sacroiliac damage box rest 8 weeks and then another 8 weeks off after that...

Apart from that - good luck and you'll be fine - as everyone else has said he's your pony!