At last!

KHippo

Visit site
Hi everyone! No real point to this post but I don't have many horsey friends & my OH isn't interested so I have to share my excitement somewhere! After many years of sharing/blagging rides I am finally getting a pony of my own, EEK!

Learnt to ride many years ago on my mum's NF but I outgrew him as a teenager so he is now mum's semi-retired hack. That pony taught me so much, he is the reason I have always been a "pony person" and decided I want to be a pony squisher should I ever get my own. This is us back in the day :)

306966_10150393453397265_457604822_n.jpg

So I am now in the process of buying my own pony to squish, sadly no pics at the moment, hopefully soon though!

Exciteeeedddd! :D:D:D

GLW

Visit site
Hi KHippo! I completely understand why you wanted to post. I was in the same position as you when I started looking for my girl; no horsey friends, clueless family and no OH (that helped I think as no one to dissuade me!) so I had no one to talk to or show adverts to or take with me to view horses. That's when I first started using HHO. Now I have friends at the livery yard (but I still come on here a lot).

Have you started looking yet? What sort of pony are you after? You look great on that NF!

KHippo

Visit site
Thanks everyone! That pic was taken when I was about 13 :)

GLW I have one sorted, just need to sort out payment & paperwork & he's mine! He's a challenging project, 9yo unbroken sports pony, spent time with him earlier in the week & managed to get him sat on bareback in the stable & long reined, so hoping he won't be too much trouble to get started!

*awaits flaming/troll accusations/posts telling me to buy a 15 yo cob instead*

Tammytoo

Visit site
Thanks everyone! That pic was taken when I was about 13 :)

GLW I have one sorted, just need to sort out payment & paperwork & he's mine! He's a challenging project, 9yo unbroken sports pony, spent time with him earlier in the week & managed to get him sat on bareback in the stable & long reined, so hoping he won't be too much trouble to get started!

*awaits flaming/troll accusations/posts telling me to buy a 15 yo cob instead*

WOW you don't do things by halves, do you! Good luck with him and I hope he turns out well for you.

Just out of interest, why wasn't he broken in as a youngster?

Keep us posted on progress.

Echo24

Visit site
How exciting! I've been horse hunting for nearly a year and am waiting til Spring when hopefully there will be more on the market. I'm hoping to get a new forest soon so look forward to joining the pony squishing gang!

Look forward to seeing pics of your new neddie!

GLW

Visit site
Sorry KHippo I didn't read your original post properly now I look back it's obvious...

No flames from me for your choice of "first" horse as I bought myself a tb (and I couldn't be happier)

KHippo

Visit site
Haha tammytoo I know, in at the deep end & all that! I have an experienced friend sort of mentoring me through it & doing most of the initial work so I'm not completely on my own. Previous owner used him as a nanny for her youngsters & never got around to breaking him in.

GLW thoroughbreds are great & your mare is beautiful! I could never afford to keep the weight on one though lol!

Charcoalfeathers good luck with your pony hunt! I love nf ponies :)

Progress update for today is saddle on, long reined down the road, sat on in stable with saddle & walked around. Also trotted him over a jump today :D he is so awesome! Will get some pics soon, he needs tarting up a bit first lol :)

suffolkmare

Visit site
Congratulations from another pony squisher! I waited 40 yrs for my boy which I share with my daughter, hes 14.1 passport says welsh x we think prob some nf and tb. Good luck with backing him:)

KHippo

Visit site
UPDATE! So, it took 3 days of work & then ponio was I guess semi-backed? (ridden with someone following behind on foot just in case, but rider giving all the instructions) around 10 days ago.

He then did nothing at all until today, when I took him out for his first hack with me on board (with a nanny horse for backup). We walked & trotted down the road (about 10 mins), I hopped off just as we got home as there was a road sweeper coming & not sure what his reaction was going to be with large traffic - he didn't even look at it as we walked past, so I'll be staying on board next time!

I am so so proud of him! He is taking everything in his stride, listening to aids, learning so fast - I just hope things continue the way they are going, it all seems to be going too smoothly at the moment :rolleyes:

Planning on taking him somewhere with an school at the weekend, so we can try out canter - expecting this will be when we get to do some rodeo impressions :D

So so proud of my boy!! :eek: (and again, sharing on here because nobody I know IRL will care lol!)