At my wits end with trying. What’s next?

Charla

Visit site
Bought a rising 3 year old two springs ago. An import dressage bred filly from Germany.
Backed her late summer of that year, very sweet and easy, then turned away out to grass until the following spring, so rising 4 year. Brought back in to work with light hacking, again, very sweet although very weak so kept it all easy. Started very basic school work once 4th birthday had been in the summer, all good.
She was then kicked by another horse in the field, leg injury, box rest for a month. Xrayed and no damage. Turned back out alone once fully healed, sadly the horse next door got through electric, she received a second kick on the other leg. Back to box rest for another month, again, no serious damage, just cosmetic. Once healed and sound, slowly started to bring back in to work. She had changed shape so saddler came out, tried various saddles, she wasn’t happy in any of them. Finally found one that seemed to be perfect, brand new saddle, so purchased this. Started hacking and schooling again now saddle was good. After about 6 weeks, she became sharp to ride, bucking, bronking, slowly got worse to a point where rider couldn’t stay on board successfully anymore.
Decided to get physio, physio couldn’t find even one sore patch or tightness. Had vet dentist out, he xrayed her jaw as small lump on jawline, which turned out to be trauma, not a teething lump as believed. Two hairline fractures either side but healing well, it was about 3 months old. Also removed wolf teeth to rule those out. Felt awful. She went on anti biotics to check no infection, given a further week off work then told to carry on.
Day one back in work, she felt amazing, moved freely, forward, soft and really willing to work very well. Best she’s ever been. Thought, great, cracked it. Then gave her a couple of hacks, another schooling session (all kept short and easy), all lovely. Ever so pleased. Then today, a week after being back in work, got on, very tense, tried walking and stretching out to get her to relax. Felt it was very odd as totally different from the rest of the week. Asked for trot and bang, back to explosion, bucked off.
I’m at my wits end. Have had stop start, stop, start constantly. Problem after problem.
What would you do from here?
Take her to the vets for a full investigation?

TheMule

Visit site
Given the history of injury and box rest, the simplest and cheapest thing to look for first would be ulcers

be positive

Visit site
She has been through a fair amount and is obviously a sensitive girl so my first thought would be to get the saddle checked as it should have settled by now or she may have changed shape a little since it was bought but my instinct would be that there is more to it than just a very sensitive horse so ulcers need considering as does KS in something so reactive.

Charla

Visit site
She has been through a fair amount and is obviously a sensitive girl so my first thought would be to get the saddle checked as it should have settled by now or she may have changed shape a little since it was bought but my instinct would be that there is more to it than just a very sensitive horse so ulcers need considering as does KS in something so reactive.

This was a very good response. Had her xrayed, everything is clean other than one spine is slightly closer than the rest.
Vet believe this is a result of her compensating in the way she was moving from the other injuries, holding her lumbar region very tight and tense. The spine isn’t kissing at the moment, but I understand from what he said the muscle and ligaments have pulled it closer and it’s likely to spasm. The more she’s tense through fear of pain, the more it makes it worse and then it hurts, causing her to be more tense. So like a vicious circle.
She’s been injected with a cocktail of things.

Has anyone had any experience of this and recovery rate?
Any exercise suggestions to improve it?

be positive

Visit site
When you say the physio couldn't find anything was it an ACPAT physio or a "bodyworker" ? as it is rare that they find nothing at all, either way I would probably get another physio involved as she does have a potential KS so I think some exercises targeting that area would be worth doing and it could certainly be why she is explosive at times, having the saddle checked would do no harm, apart from your pocket, it may be worth looking at saddle pads that give a bit more cushioning.

I think I would be doing more work on long reins/ the lunge/ in hand to get her really working softly through her back, opening up the topline as well as building up a strong core, along with hacking until she is genuinely stronger and fitter before doing much ridden work in the school, some loose jumping may help her open up a bit along with the normal tummy lifts and stretches the physio usually gives us to do.
I would give her at least 8 weeks of fittening before ridden schooling in any meaningful way, I am old school and do think that we are now spending to much time going round in circles with young weak horses which in the old days would have been hacked for months before doing anything else which conditioned and prepared them in a much better way, time spent hacking properly is rarely wasted.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would be doing lots walking on the lunge and over poles just in a bridle or with line attached to the nose ring of a Micklem and work in hand .i would seriously consider leading her from a another horse to get her out and about for a while .
As BP says I would trust an ACPAT trained physio to tell they could not find anything but really not any one else .
You need if you can to find an ACPAT physio with an interest in pole work and rehab .
Whatever you do I would not put a Pessoa or anything similar on a horse like this .