At what *C would you say it is cold enough for a HW turnout?

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
My horsey is out during the day in a HW full neck, but she's nearly 16 and is prone to losing weight, and she is a wuss, and she is clipped. So yea, depends on the horse and weather is changeable to be honest.

Enfys

Visit site
Tia, have you had any snow yet? Just been watching the news and they are saying there is snow 20 minutes North of Toronto, I know you are further away than that but wondered if it had blown to your neck of the woods.

Freezing here today, the thermometer says 4C but the wind is hellish. I had to wear GLOVES first thing this morning!
smile.gif

One mare is telling me she is cold so she is rugged now, but all the others are happy enough still. They were all lying down in amongst the pines 15 minutes ago.
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
It was 5 degrees here today - darn cold! I also wore gloves for the first time - will be digging out my trappers hat soon.

We had some wet slurry snow, thick rain really. Nothing lay though it was too wet - hence me being inside most of today.

Vicki1986

Visit site
It really depends on the horse. I'd bung on whatever they are currently wearing, let them aclimitise (sp) then feel them and see how they feel. All horses are different so its hard to judge just by the temperature. And it depends on if your stabling is in the wind, sheltered, in a indoor barn etc etc.

Ziggy_

Visit site
I use temperature as a guide with my mare - less than 10 degrees she'll have a LW with no fill if its rainy, nothing if its not, less than 5 degrees she'll have a 100g LW, or a 200g MW if its raining, less than 0 she'll have a 200g MW if its dry, 200g MW + 100g under rug if its rainy.

Shes an unclipped TBx.