Ataxia

Britestar

Visit site
Does anyone have any experience with sudden onset ataxia in hind limbs?

Old horse (30) presented 'off back legs' 10 days ago. Vet came, could see no obvious cause, but agreed unstable behind.

Discussed possible treatments, and decided on NSAIDS for time being. Not keen on steroids at this point as horse plump, and had laminitis once about 10 years ago.

Improved on NSAIDS, but tonight very wobbly. Discussion with Vet whether to give steroids at this point, but have decided to increase Danilon at this time.

Horse very happy, eating, drinking and going out into field each day. Appears to get up and down, judging by mud, and bedding in mane and tail. Has been seen to trot in field. All toileting as normal.

Vet has suggested a cervical spine problem. I realise its probably not good news, and that there may be sudden deterioration, leading to the inevitable.

Anyne had anything similar?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yes, sadly.

My horse Jay had some time off with a very mild suspensory injury. I had owned him 5 years and he had always been in work, but when he rested for months he sort of sagged in his frame. He had sudden ataxia.

I whisked him off to the vet hospital, and they confirmed it. He would stand cross legged front or back, with seemingly little idea as to why he was stuck. He had immediate X rays, and they showed a bit of damage in his neck, but to be fair, not bad for an 11 year old who has jumped a fair few fences in his time. The vet could not see enough impingement to cause the symptoms.

My immediate thought was PTS, but the vet thought it would be possible to try steroids as it was recent and his spinal column looked OK. We had a long and emotional conversation, Jay woozy from the X ray sedation looking on. He was also overweight (as he had been off work) and I was reluctant to give steroids, but as the alternative was to PTS on the spot there did not seem much to lose.

2 weeks into the treatment he was no better, one day I was on the verge of calling it time as it was windy, and he was having trouble walking! But, after the full course (which I think was 4 weeks???) he returned to the hospital for re-assessment and was a LOT better.

Despite the fact he was still supposed to be resting for the suspensory, we decided it was safer for him to start some light lungeing to build some muscle back up for his spine. His suspensory DID mend, and he has now been sound for over a year. Last summer I tried him back in work, and he was great hacking at walk for 45 minutes, but if we built it more than that, including trotting and rides up to an hour and a half, he did feel a bit wobbly.

I turned him away for this winter, with light lungeing 3 X a week to keep him muscled and supple, and possibly in spring we will give riding a try again for light hacking, as currently he is symptom-less. If he goes back proper wobbly again though, he will be PTS.

For your horse, the only way to gauge the cervical spine is to X ray it. That may give you an answer as to weather steroids may work. Having said that, if Jay were 30 years old then I am not sure I would take that route, but every situation is different.

Last edited:

doodle

Visit site
Yes unfortunately and it didn't end well. My mare initially presented with a swollen and sore hock. She was early/mid 20's. Vet called immediately. Not too concerned, box rest and Bute. Next day whole of leg hugely swollen. 2 visits from vet that day. Next day both back legs swollen. It never really went down but she was left with a very odd gait. It seemed lik she didn't know when he back feet would hit the ground. Would trot up sound. This gait becoming more pronounced. Legs less swollen but still more swollen than normal. Several more vet visits and she was put on 4 Bute a day to rule out pain, she really didn't seem sore tho. Bute made no difference to this gait. All through she was fine in herself, eating etc. However she wasn't moving around in the field normally as if she had lost confidence. She had never been keen to be in a stable and now she wanted to be in. Odd gait moved to front legs and vet came again. She was pts the next day. It was progressing so quickly. I could have taken her to horspital but we were concerned about travelling her and didn't think it would be a good outcome. We think there was inpingment in her neck.

supsup

Visit site
My very old pony mare also developed ataxia, although in her case it was more of a gradual onset. So long as she was on firm ground and left to her own devices in the field, it wasn't very noticeable, but when stressed (all handling was stressful to her) or on muddy/bumpy ground, she struggled to place her feet. She'd always had a weird kink her her neck (at least as long as I'd had her), and the vet thought it was possibly arthritis of the spine pressing on the nerves. She had other health issues, and I felt her quality of life was impacted a lot, so she was PTS.

amandaco2

Visit site
yes, 23yo ex inter ii horse had sudden onset of walking in half pass all the time. he also looked very stiff. the vet assessed him and we found he had laminitis and cushings. the laminitis resolved really well on box rest, he also had loads of bute. sadly the gait didn't improve and the risk of his falling and being in pain was too high. he had xrays which confirmed impingent in his neck. was very hard to say bye as he was feeling fine in himself....

Britestar

Visit site
Sadly no happy outcome.

Today he went down in the field whilst waiting for the Vet (who was going to give steroids).We made the decision to let him go. Surround by all his friends, human and equine. The other horses all paid their respects, and are all very quiet tonight.

RIP big man :(