Attaching choke chain onto headcollar

ShadowHunter

Visit site
After horse tanking off while leading several times this week, twice this morning nearly dislocating my arm. I've had enough. So in trying this chain on headcollar thing but how do you attach it? Simple as possible please, my brain is fried lately.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Stallion chain ;)
at its simplest clip to one side of nose, take over nose and thread through the metal square on the other side :p

image001.jpg

Equi

Visit site
To avoid buying one you just clip one ring of a choke chain to the square in the left (use a strong snap clip) and same principle just over the nose and through the other hole. Be aware of how strong the choke chain is though! If it's not strong enough and breaks you have a loose horse.

Enfys

Visit site
I always use the regular choke chain never had one break yet. You may find that you will have to squish one ring in a vice a little so that it fits through the side ring on the noseband.

Usually chains across the nose are threaded through the nose rings and then up to the cheek ring on the off side, this prevents the headcollar being pulled round.

I prefer to thread the chain across the nose, through the noseband rings then bring both ends beneath the chin and clip a lead rope onto both rings.

mattydog

Visit site
I do the opposite to Enfys. Thread the rings of the choke chain through the rings of your head collar noseband then clip your lead rope on to the rings of the choke chain so it forms a triangle with the chain on the chin groove of the horse. Horse pulls, chain tightens, horse stops with a look of surprise on it's face! I do have one horse who it works on most of the time but occasionally he tries it on even more at which point I have to use a stallion chain until he winds his ratty little neck in again!

planete

Visit site
Somebody tried a chain on his head collar to lead my young horse into a trailer to show me 'how it is done'. He did a full rear, crossed his forelegs over the lunge line and pulled it out of her hands on the way down. Never again.

windand rain

Visit site
I would rather teach the horse to respect a halter. Chains are a bit brutal for my liking. If you are not sue a one off seesion with a good trainer, preferably a IHRA will cure him life

Pigeon

Visit site
You can just use a lead rope over the nose if you're worried the chain is too harsh. Also less likely to break!

eggs

Visit site
Like Pigeon I use a long lead rope over the nose when necessary rather than a chain. Using either a rope or chain it will only come into play if the horse pulls. In an ideal world we wouldn't need to do it but in my mind it is better than having the horse learn that he can just bog off. One of mine is generally very good but finds moving into a new field very exciting so a rope over the nose it is for a couple of days as otherwise I do lose him.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I use a dog choke chain on my highland who, when hes hungry, will drag you to the nearest blade of grass! I thread it through the two side rings, then pull both ends down through the bottom ring and attach the lead rein through both of the ends. He knows when its attached and is good as gold. I now use it for loading and unloading as well after being dragged across a lorry park a couple of weeks ago which was just plain dangerous. I load, tie up on the trailer tie, take the chain off to travel, then reverse the procedure to unload. It doesnt go over his nose or through his mouth, just under his chin, but he seems to respect it. As he weighs nye on 600kg and I dont, I think its a sensible precaution!

ShadowHunter

Visit site
Thanks everyone, a few different suggestions there to find one that suits. I tried the over nose one this morning, she got it more or less straight away that something was different and she behaved perfectly. I hate having to be harsh but needs must before it becomes a habit.

Enfys

Visit site
I do the opposite to Enfys. Thread the rings of the choke chain through the rings of your head collar noseband then clip your lead rope on to the rings of the choke chain so it forms a triangle with the chain on the chin groove of the horse. Horse pulls, chain tightens, horse stops with a look of surprise on it's face! I do have one horse who it works on most of the time but occasionally he tries it on even more at which point I have to use a stallion chain until he winds his ratty little neck in again!

PMSL at ratty little neck! :D :D
I do it that way too, do you find it depends what the horse does?

I found under the chin, as you say works well for those devils that plough a furrow in the ground and just take off.

I know people often say "Oh no! not a chain! That's cruel!" but they learn very quickly, and often a quick rattle will get them remembering their manners without any need to apply pressure at all. I have had some that would be total gits without a chain on, yet little angels when it was. they know! :D

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Exactly Enfys, my lad is very well mannered normally but a greedy little toad and at this time of year, just before the grass starts to grow, he is always starving :) At 600kg and built like the proverbially, if he sets his neck against me in any direction I dont stand a chance. A quick rattle is usually all I need.