Attacked by a stallion on our hack ?

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
We were just out gently hacking home, me on Shy, and leading my 33 year old shettie Pepsi, when suddenly this stallion, a Welsh section D, burst through the hedge and started attacking Shy. It then mounted Shy, and I fell off, breaking a finger and injuring my back. I fell right in front of Shy, so God love him he didn't move while I was on the ground.

Meanwhile I'd let go of Pepsi, but he stayed close. I finally got hold of Shy, and led him away, this stallion continuing the attack for 1km. I finally got my boys through our gate and into the stables, while hubs was trying to see the stallion off (which was now cantering around our car). A broom and some well aimed rocks finally saw it off. It was absolutely terrifying.

I owe my ponies everything, our bond is greater than ever. Poor Shy was uninjured, thank God. I have been to the police and the mayor, but the horse has disappeared, owner unknown. I'm now left with constant flashbacks and "what ifs". It will be a long time before I ride again, and even then not without hubs beside me. Horrible, the worst incident in 50 years with horses. ???received_260557242903523.jpeg

Last edited:

oldie48

Visit site
Horrible thing to have happen, I'm so sorry. We have a stallion across the lane which has escaped on a couple of occasions and I was very worried when I had horses here. Do you have any idea where he came from?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Dreadful experience for you. I had the same myself just a couple of years back. If my mare hadn't persistently fought the colt off with both barrels while I managed to open a nearby field gate to get us both off the lane I think I would have been mincemeat. I also feel our bond was strengthened by the experience but it didn't make me any less terrified for ages afterwards.

I hope you soon feel better and it won't stop you riding again. It took me a week or two to even think about riding again, but I eventually did with a foot soldier a couple of times until I felt my old self again. I hope your injuries soon resolve and you can start to enjoy your horses again.

nagblagger

Visit site
Oh how terrifying.
I would still be shaking now, but your ponies sound like they deserve a medal. Hopefully the owner and horse will be found and dealt with appropriately.. who owns the field it came through or do you have travellers around.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Horrible thing to have happen, I'm so sorry. We have a stallion across the lane which has escaped on a couple of occasions and I was very worried when I had horses here. Do you have any idea where he came from?
I suspect the local farmers were renting out the field

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
We live in France, and around here it's all "'c'est la vie" , very hard to get anything done.i was shouting for help when I got into our hamlet, so lucky hubs was there !

I am very proud of my boys, and feel we have a very deep bond. Shy could easily have stood on me. He trusted me to lead him to safety. Pepsi was very shaken up. I was worried Shy would be sore where the stallion mounted his back, but he seems fine. I'm not though. Constant flashbacks ?

palo1

Visit site
What a horrible experience for you all :( We have occasionally had trouble with stallions (feral ones). Usually it is easier actually if you have a mare (but not one in season -eek). Our mares have always been very clear about what is acceptable to them where stallions are concerned but I have been attacked whilst riding a gelding. Very frightening. It is really unusual I think but it sounds like your horses were totally solid for you which may well have saved you from further injury. I hope you feel better soon and that you can process the flashbacks and the event. We usually carry a hunting style whip between us if we are heading somewhere there is a stallion that we know may be dodgy or if that might be possible and our 'strategy' if need be is to turn a mare directly at the stallion, making as much noise as possible and using the whip as necessary. It takes a bit of courage the first few times but once you know that the horse you are riding is ok about it, it gets easier. Thankfully we are usually dealing with feral stallions who have no real desire to come into contact or conflict with people so that usually does the trick. A stallion that is not wary of people is a different cup of tea and genuinely very dangerous potentially.

I know things are a bit different in France but that really is a dangerous situation so I hope something is done to remove the stallion.

ETA - I DO NOT recommend trying to fend off a stallion unless absolutely necessary and with support. If alone it is always safer to keep your horse's back end toward the stallion whilst trying to ride away. If need be, get off as your horse is more likely to be able to look after themselves and you risk very serious injury by staying with them and within reach of teeth and feet.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
How frightening. I am glad you are all OK though.
I had a fright caused by a stallion too.
I rode with friends on an open hill. The other horses were geldings. The local hill stallion, we had no idea he was loose, decided to try to mount my mare. Fortunately one of the geldings was very good at polocrosse and the rider ‘rode off’ the stallion so we could get away. Fortunately he returned to his own mares.

palo1

Visit site
Thankyou so much for all your support! I only just managed to get my wedding rings off before my broken finger swelled up, using lots of soap. Agony ! The boys were stars, I have to pinch myself about how much they trusted me to get them safe.

I am sure they were also trying to look after you - it is easier for them to understand a rogue stallion too so they may have felt very worried but possibly not totally freaked out. Blooming horrible thing to happen to them too though. Glad you are all ok'ish.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Poor you ?. What a horrible experience. One of my Facebook friends was badly hurt in a similar incident so I hope you recover quickly. I hate riding around any loose horses, never mind a stallion. I hope he hasn't caused any more chaos after leaving your property.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Poor you ?. What a horrible experience. One of my Facebook friends was badly hurt in a similar incident so I hope you recover quickly. I hate riding around any loose horses, never mind a stallion. I hope he hasn't caused any more chaos after leaving your property.
There's a kiddy riding school just up the road, but fortunately he went the other way. I guess the poor stallion was just defending his territory and mares. So sad all round ?

Trouper

Visit site
What a frightening experience. I hope you can find out a bit more about the stallion and know that he is now safely fenced in so you can enjoy your rides when you feel better.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
What a frightening experience. I hope you can find out a bit more about the stallion and know that he is now safely fenced in so you can enjoy your rides when you feel better.
I certainly wont be riding past him again. I'm worried I've lost my nerve altogether ?

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Absolutely horrible for you all and I thank God you are all physically OK. An exmoor stallion took exception to my Dales gelding on a Golden Horseshoe non-competitive endurance ride. It wasn’t an attack as such but we couldn’t shake him off so I know what you mean. Take care of yourself and big up to Shy and Pepsi for being so sensible and loyal. X