Attempted theft - horse drugged and killed

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Why would anybody (still less someone unknown) drug ponies to steal them?
How would drugging them to steal them kill them, there is a big margin of safety on horse sedatives.
How do they know they were killed by drugs, have they done a post mortem blood test in eight hours?

Without a crime number and more details, I don't find this story credible , sorry.

bonny

Visit site
Why would anybody (still less someone unknown) drug ponies to steal them?
How would drugging them to steal them kill them, there is a big margin of safety on horse sedatives.
How do they know they were killed by drugs, have they done a post mortem blood test in eight hours?

Without a crime number and more details, I don't find this story credible , sorry.

I’m the same, it’s an old pony with a freeze mark, why would anybody steal it let alone drug it to do so ?

Finlib

Visit site
Bizzare !! like ycbm and bonny I am sceptical. Sounds like some sort of revenge attack if indeed it was an attack could be accidental poisoning There is no money to be made stealing horses .
I always joke that it is much more likely to get horses put in than stolen imo.

Last edited:

Frumpoon

Visit site
From Facebook posts it seems their other horse was found with symptoms of poisoning and is in hospital, Chester was missing presumed stolen

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Odd language used - 'drug our ponies in a bid to steal them'. That would normally mean that they had not actually been stolen, otherwise why say 'in a bid to'.

This sounds much more like an accidental (for example 300g of yew can kill in two or three hours) or revenge poisoning (if it is a poisoning and not AM or grass sickness) than a theft gone wrong with an overdose of sedative to facilitate a theft of horses that really aren't worth stealing.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I saw the previous post a few days ago and wondered the revenge thing, I don't know why you would sedate most domestic horses to remove them, it's easier if they are walking more quickly surely?!

Leo Walker

Visit site
This is local to me, well ish so its been doing the rounds. It does seem a bit odd that someone would steal a 19yr old freezamarked pony. He looks his age as well so no resale value. Plus no one steals horses to sell them on anymore anyway.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
The horse missing was found dead a short distance from the field apparently. The whole thing is weird (and sad.) I would certainly be looking for 'enemies' - I've had a few 'incidents' after sacking particularly useless staff: one was a tack room theft a few days later, and the other was a eport made to RSPCA about my skinny horses (silly cow should have reported me for having FAT horses - poor RSPCA Inspector was very embarrassed.)

tristar

Visit site
many years ago some people tried to steal one of my mares, she was found at 6am wandering up the drive, there was a path trail of straw leading from her stable across the yard, however what they did not know was she would only ever load for me, hence they abandoned the theft

SO1

Visit site
This is terribly sad, poor people. I guess once they know what the horses were poisoned with they may have a better idea of what happened.

It looked like from the photos her horses were in a mixed field not just in a separate field on their own. If it was just random it would be very unlucky that her two were chosen out of whole group of horses to be stolen. It does sound more like a personal attack on her or her family rather than a random theft.