Attempted theft of 3yo coloured cob

Mitchyden

Visit site
Two males tried to steal Megan yesterday afternoon at 2.15, they had a headcollar on her and were leading her across the field when they realised they were being watched.

I am obviously terrified for her safety now and wondered if they wouldn't be quite so keen to take her if she was hogged and had her feathers removed? She is stunningly beautiful with her shoulder length mane and huge hairy legs so am considering removing them so she doesn't look so attractive. What do others think?

FFAQ

Visit site
Oh crikey! That's awful! I hate to say it, but it depends on what they were planning on doing with her. When I bought my first horse the breeder warned me that these heavy cobs are often stolen for the illegal meat market. I hope she was just scare mongering. I can't believe the brazen way these men tried to steal your lovely mare! I really hope nothing like that happens to you again. Did you notify the police?

Mitchyden

Visit site
Yes the police have been informed but the registration plates on the vehicle were false so not a lot of chance of catching them untortunately 😞 It was one of the farm hands that saw it happen so I'm very lucky he was there.

rowan666

Visit site
I would be looking to improve security rather than hog her tbh, there are several sickening reasons why they may wish to steal her and a long mane wouldn't make a jot of difference, they most likely saw an easy opportunity and went with it however if it's not possible to beef up security/fencing then I would be looking to move to a more secure location PDQ. Can't imagine how desperately worried you must be now

chillipup

Visit site
Crumbs, that's scary mitchyden, especially in broad daylight. Can the field gate(s) be secured? padlocked? Are there any other security measures you could take? CCTV notices everywhere (including gates) maybe a deterrent, whether you have them or not. Do you have any Horse watch people in the area? I'd contact them too for advice, if you have.

I can see your reasoning for wanting to do it, but wouldn't by hogging her and clipping off feathers be leaving her more open to the elements/mud fever just as we'll be coming into winter shortly?

I'd definitely get her freeze branded and whilst waiting to sort that out,(if you're not showing etc at the moment )I'd be very tempted to spray her coat with the type of paint they've been using on the Dartmoor ponies to stop them being involved in road accidents. A couple of "XX" on either side & rump would make her stick out like a sore thumb, of course if she's very furry at the moment, I guess you'd have to some clip patches first to paint the marks. (otherwise any potential thieves could just clip them off) but they'd be far less likely to pinch a horse that's so distinctive. It's not going to look pretty but it may help put your mind at ease. Just an idea - not sure if it's viable though.

Don't forget to contact any Horse Watch people in your area. They'd be good for advice too.

chillipup

Coblover63

Visit site
Get some stock marker and spray your initials onto her. It CAN be washed out, but it is difficult and is a very visible deterrent. I've done it with my lot when we had some undesirables in the area. Also spray her mane, feathers and tail.

20140403_154848_zpsa3967c23.jpg

20140403_154843_zps0b11bed9.jpg

Mitchyden

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies. The field is already padlocked but that obviously didn't deter them. I would love to move her for my peace of mind but it took me about six months to find this place so it's not going to be easy to find somewhere else.
I'll look into the paint and completely spray her I think!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Terrifying. As a mare, if it's people of a certain 'culture', they like breeding. If she's of driving height, even better for their purposes. I'm also in Herts and a friend bought a roany cob with amazing mane and feather recently. Twice this week, the gates were lifted off the hinges in his field.

chillipup

Visit site
Terrifying. As a mare, if it's people of a certain 'culture', they like breeding. If she's of driving height, even better for their purposes. I'm also in Herts and a friend bought a roany cob with amazing mane and feather recently. Twice this week, the gates were lifted off the hinges in his field.

Awful :( and I get your drift cinnamontoast, my thoughts too, sadly.

chillipup.

LHIS

Visit site
Wow that is shocking, how lucky someone saw and deterred the little oiks.
I'd do as others have suggested, mark her up as best you can. I'd also spread the word in your area, if you have a local policing team and they conduct community meetings (varies force to force but most do) I'd attend and raise it. The more local people who are aware the better. Spread the word on Facebook too. Did the farm lad get a look at them - any description? If so, get that info out there too.
Any possibility of installing a bit of surveillance equipment?
Will she be coming in soon anyway because of winter or would she be out all year round?

Fingers crossed it was a one off. X

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

If your friend is responsible for the gates tell her to fit the top hinges upside down (the gate has to be in place first of course!) That way the hinges have to be cut to remove the gate.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
Make sure your gates are hung so they can't be lifted off. The hinge pins need to be pointing in different directions so it won't come off.

Oops cross posted

chillipup

Visit site
If your friend is responsible for the gates tell her to fit the top hinges upside down (the gate has to be in place first of course!) That way the hinges have to be cut to remove the gate.
and EQUIDAE

What a cracking idea, never knew you could do that. Thankfully never had to.

chillipup

keri66

Visit site
How long does it take the stock spray to come off.?
I have a heavy hairy coloured filly.
She is freeze marked.
Admittedly I'm in Lancashire and they probably couldn't load the little madam lol but better safe than sorry ☺

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies. The field is already padlocked but that obviously didn't deter them. I would love to move her for my peace of mind but it took me about six months to find this place so it's not going to be easy to find somewhere else.
I'll look into the paint and completely spray her I think!

Where are you in Herts ? Pm me if you don't want to say on here, if I had a spare stable you could have come here I keep mine at home but am full at the moment.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Please inform Horsewatch (UK Horse Alliance).
Freezemark your horse.
Microchip your horse.
Take photos of both front, rear and both sides of your horse so that if stolen they can be quickly circulated.
Reverse hinges on both gates and have a lock box fitted to prevent them angle grinding the lock off.
Inform your local Rural Police Officer as well so that they can keep an eye open.
A description of the vehicle used would be useful.

chillipup

Visit site
You can get reflective paint too - you will then be able to see them at night too (with a torch)

Yes, that's what they're using on the Dartmoor ponies :)

I think it's a dreadful shame though. (not for the Dartmoors of course, that's to stop them getting hit by traffic) I mean the lengths owners now have to go to, in an effort to protect their horses from theft. It must be a constant worry for some and devastating for anyone who has actual had theirs stolen.

Why doesn't someone start production of animal identity chips which have, not only a built in alarm device but a global positioning system too, which could activate a silent alarm. When the animal is removed from it's own yard/field/stable or house/garden (in the case of dogs, not horses), by an unauthorised person, the alarm could be activated by a security unit which has been strategically placed on said stable/field/gates or buried underground.

I'm aware some expensive cars now have a GPS tracking device fitted and that even people can be tracked using some apps on a mobile phone. So It can't be beyond the realms of technology. It would just mean in this instance, the GPS tracking device being miniaturized enough to fit into an ID chip, suitable for inserting into an animal. The Japanese are brilliant at miniaturizing techno things and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've not already done it.

Notices put up everywhere stating " This Horse/dog is Physically Alarmed (or armed!) with an Identity & GPS Tracking Chip", should be a pretty good deterrent. The alarm being activated could signal a warning direct to owners mobiles/homes etc and/or the police. Owners would only need to perhaps carry a swipe card, remote control or punch a pin code into the entry/exit unit, to deactivate the alarm, when taking their animal out of the secured area. That said, I would even consider putting these signs up right now, as who's to know this isn't something that is isn't already available?

Of course, I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of horses out there which could even be desensitized against an alarm set off. An alarm that was NOT actually silent. If the horse continually made loud whwaa, whwaa, whoo, whoo noises everywhere it went, who in their right mind would want to steal it?? Perhaps this particular chip could be marketed at a lower price because the GPS tracking device wouldn't have to be included in this case :)

I apologize for getting carried away, especially with the last paragraph. I do not meant to be facetious. Anyone who has cause for concern regarding this matter, has my sincerest sympathy.

chillipup.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Looking at tracking devices after my two springers went missing, the equipment is still quite hefty. In future years, when the device can be as small as an ID chip, Thais would be fab. It's just not feasible right now. :(

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Echo "Yorkshire" hinges, also try fitting a rape alarm to the gate, so that there is an audible warning when the gate is opened if the lanyard is not removed first, it may deter the theives and could stir the horses up, making them harder to get hold of.

SO1

Visit site
I don't think hogging or removal of feathers will work as a deterrent, these sort of people have the knowledge to identity a good gypsy cob even without full mane and feathers, and these will grow back in time anyway.

The stock paint may work better as a deterrent if it hard to remove as it will mean that horses will be identifiable and easier to find if they are stolen and then tethered on public land.

bonny

Visit site
Without wanting to be contrary, how many coloured cobs are there in the UK? Sometimes people on here are worrying about theirs being stolen and other times there are long threads about what to do with them all as they are unwanted ! Culling seems to be the usual answer put forward ! Are there not 100's or maybe 1000's of coloured cobs that are semi feral, in huge herds with no one claiming to own them ? So why would someone attempt to steal yours in the middle of the day by walking across a field in view of others ? Did they come with a horsebox/trailer and intend to load her and then what ? Something about this smacks of paranoia to me, could the farmer maybe be mistaken ? Is it maybe someone you know ? The majority of so called missing horses seem to have wandered off under their own steam or be the subject of disputed ownership.....

Mitchyden

Visit site
I'm quite appalled at your response Bonny when I am going through hell at the moment wondering whether they are going to be back!
I am not being paranoid - the farm hand was walking down the private track and saw 2 men approach my horse, put a head collar on her and lead her down the field. He stayed and watched them, when they realised they were being watche they took off the head collar and walked casually across the field and climbed the fence. He followed them for a bit at a distance where they got into a 4x4 which when reported to the police had false number plates! The police are taking it very seriously.
How much more has to happen before you believe it was an attempted theft?!