Auto Pajero 2.8 - would anything else suit me.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I've had a 2.8 SWB Pajero for about 8 years and it was minimal cost to maintain, very reliable etc - until it stood out-of-use for more than 3 months! Rats got into the electronics and ATE them - apparently that would cost £1500++ to fix. It's also developed a wierd leak somewhere - and it's been a much abused work-horse so it's got to be replaced.

It looks like I can get a decent Pajero, a bit younger and MUCH cleaner and smarter for under £5,000. Is there anything else in that price range that might suit. Has to be able to pull an IW 511 with 2 big horses - and also run around a bit without costing a fortune in fuel. Suggestions much appreciated

Llanali

Visit site
Only other I would consider would be a kia sorsnto. Our 2004 2.8 auto diesel is awesome, and I've had a few shoguns, pajero etc too.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
When I was towing a horse trailer & used 2 vehicles. One was a 2.8 Pajero & the other was a 2.5 diesel Discovery. Both did the job well but far preferred the Pajero automatic. It was very smooth, powerful, towed like a dream & you hardly knew you'd got the trailer behind you. The main difference was that the Pajero used considerably more diesel to the Discovery. :(

Can't talk about other 4x4 as I've only had those two.

Frumpoon

Visit site
Hyundai terracan 2.9 diesel, love it loads more than my old pajero and currently worth no more than about 2k even with fsh

turnbuckle

Visit site
Fewer of them around, so parts might be hard to find if it goes wrong.

Also, depending on what you can get for your old Pajero it might be worth hanging on to it for cannibalisation if necessary (except the gnawed bits of course). If you have a quiet corner on the yard to tuck it away that is...

Frumpoon

Visit site
I certainly like the look of the Hyundai terracan 2.9 diesel Frumpoon - and have found one not TOO far away at £2,900 (appaently reputable car dealer) - has 12 months MOT. 2003 so SHOULD escape the high tax??

totally and utterly reliable, mine was 3k 2 years ago and had fsh, all the bells and whistles and cost ****** all to put through MOT...I was selling it to finance horsebox but might hang onto it now has has just flown through MOT

Pedantic

Visit site
Learnt a very hard lesson buying Korean, apart for basic filters pads etc, spares are horrendous price and difficult to get, unless you can afford new with big warranty stick to Jap stuff