Auto waterer-convincing a horse!!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve put automatic drinkers in my stables just recently (last weekend so 4 nights ago)
My horse who has had them before on a previous yard appears not to be using it.
The first day I took him in and showed him, que spinning snorting and trying to leg it out of the door 🙄
He reacted the same when we put a corner manger in but I was able to take it out of the bracket and put it where his normal bucket went then gradually move it back!
Obv can’t do that with water so I just left him to it, assuming he’d drink but I’m still not sure he is. It’s very clean with bubbles inside and he heads straight to the trough every morning to drink loads I’m filling the field water far more than usual.
Any ideas?

be positive

Visit site
I would give him a bucket for now and hope it is the newness that is the issue, a few bits of apple or even some feed in it to encourage him to use it, it may smell new so maybe a rub over with something that smells nice, again feed would probably work, I would not be happy to leave him without another option until I saw him use it happily.

AnShanDan

Visit site
We've had this problem before :) I normally just try to get them desensitised to the noise with bits of cut up apple to tempt them to play with it and a cup to empty some out at intervals to simulate them drinking out of it. They always get the idea eventually. Also ended up putting food colouring into the water drinker to check if it was actually being used, agree tho it's only fair to give them another bucket til you are sure.

Merlod

Visit site
My pony was frightened of his - wrapped a bit of cloth where the water comes out so it fills silently. Then to get him near it I continued giving a water bucket which I moved closer to the drinker each day, and then put the bucket (empty) under the drinker before removing completely.

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
All good ideas thank you!
He has had one before with no problem so it’s a bit weird! I just expected him to be cool with it!
I’m definitely going to put a bit of colouring in, that’s really clever!