Autobiographies?????? (sp)

matthew

Visit site
Are there any s/jers or eventers ie lucinda green, robert smith who have ever done a autobiography??? i would love to read one if they had????? always thought Tina Cook or Geoff Billington would be a good read!

Faithkat

Visit site
Pippa Funnell has written one (not read it so can't comment) and if you want to go back a very long way . . Pat Smythe wrote "Jump for Joy".
Princess Anne has written "Riding through my life) which is very interesting and there are several jockeys who have written theirs too (I've got Willie Carson's, John Francome's and Frankie Dettori's) and Jenny Pitman's. Lucinda Green has written a few books charting the progress of a couple of her horses and I read one once that she wrote which was pretty much her autobiography but I can't remember what it was called (got it from the library!)

Capriole

Visit site
long way! how very dare you!
smile.gif
ive got that book lol

four square i think might be the one you mean

Capriole

Visit site
ginny did one about priceless which is good, and lucinda did one about regal realm as well as the four square one about her four faves

Faithkat

Visit site
Have you? I had "Jump for Joy" hundreds of years ago - I thought Pat Smythe was wonderful! Sadly, in a moment of madness, when I was grown up, I gave away all my "horse books" to someone I thought was "horsey" but the craze only lasted five minutes with her - I'd love to get them all back as most of them seem to be out of print!!! Do you think it would be advertising to start a thread asking for books (happy to buy them!!)???? I managed to get a copy of Monica Edwards' "Wish for a Pony" which was always my favourite as a child, I SO wanted to be Tamsin Grey!!!!

I think "Four Square" is the one I mean - it's really good.

Capriole

Visit site
oooh, ive still got thtat too
smile.gif

i kept most of mine, still got lots of books from the 40's and 50's onwards (no im not that old, i just like buying them
smile.gif
)

livetoride

Visit site
I've just finished reading Pippa Funnell's, which was a very enjoyable, as was Sheila Willcox's, from an earlier era.

Puppy

Visit site
I enjoyed Nick Skelton's - read it twice. And in fact I believe I heard a rumour he was going to bring out an undated one to include his return to competing.
smile.gif

bexj

Visit site
I've got two from a few years back - one is about Cptn Mark Phillips and Princess Anne (when they were still together so shows how old!) and the other about Lionel Dunning, who was a top showjumper, and had a bad head injury (I think) from a riding accident. Interesting.

Also recently read Pippa's book and Monty Roberts "The horses in my life" is also worth a look

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Oh Dear!
blush.gif
I always thought of myself as Rissa, Tamzin was too 'perfect' for me to be her!
blush.gif
grin.gif
I stupidly put my 'Monica's' on ebay but had to read them all before they went, how stupid is that?! Couldn't believe how much they made and have since been trying to buy some if I find anymore!
There's kiwi Magic - Andrew Nicholson
Passport to Life - Harry Llewellyn (Foxhunter)
The Man and His Horses - Mark Phillips
Turf Account - Steve Smith-Eccles (what's happened to him, Vijcp?)
Obsessed - Richard Dunwoody
Good Horses Make Good Jockeys - Richard Pitman
Between The Lines - Dorian Williams,

Sure there must be more too; if anyone wants to borrow any, they're welcome!

teapot

Visit site
Read Bob Champion's one which ends with his national race on Aldaniti - truly heartwarming

Frankie Detorri's got one out, AP Mcoy's is very good

Faithkat

Visit site
LOL! I think it was the aching want that I identified with and I used to sit and dream of the bliss of being given a pony like Cascade in "Wish for a Pony". It's the bit at the end:
"Cascade, in a brown headcollar, was led down the ramp and the rope put into Tamzin's hand. She stared at him unbelievingly for a moment, then put out a hand to stroke his soft neck. He pushed a soft muzzle against her side and she drew a small red apple from her pocket. He took it delicately and crunched it with quiet appreciation".
I can remember when I got my first horse after waiting 40 very long years and looking at him in the stable that paragraph came into my head . . . and I cried buckets!!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
That must have been a tremendous moment after that long a wait for your very own Cascade (if I ever breed a grey there'll be no other name for it!) I would have cried with you!
smile.gif

Her books are brilliant. There is a ME Society on web which really goes to town about her and the books. When I lived in Croydon I was always getting my Dad to take me for rides to the Punchbowl or to Rye - just in the hope.....................
blush.gif
grin.gif
Do you know you can actually do B & B (at least you could according to that site) in THE Vicarage, I do fancy that even at my age!!
blush.gif
grin.gif

BBs

Visit site
They seem to be the only books i ever read cover to cover!! probably because im so nosey lol

I have pippa funnel, mark tood (fantastic read) richard dunwoody and i thoroughly enjoyed AP McCoy's too.

Havent seen any of Ginny or Lucindas - must go to the local library!

Like Jiffy looking forward to Williams as I enjoyed his schooling for success book.

Wasnt interested in Leslie Laws so havent read it.

Faithkat

Visit site
The first one was actually a bright bay 3/4TB 1/4 NF but I do have a "Cascade" now (except she's a mare) - a grey AngloArab like in the book. She's in-foal . . perhaps if she produces a grey I'll have a ready made name . . . .

No, I didn't know there was B&B at THE Vicarage - how exciting, I fancy it too (are we regressing to a second childhood, I wonder???) I wonder where Meryon, Lindsey and Co are now (drawing their old age pension somewhere - LOL!!!)