Automatic gate openers

Spotherisk

Visit site
Looking for some advice please... we’d like to add an automatic opener to our current five bar gate, needs to be solar though, and plips are good but it needs a keypad too and/or a press to open button. So many on the market! Happy to install ourselves.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
From experience, they are a pain in the neck. I've seen quite a few installed and then disconnected. We have (very expensive) rams on our house gates and they require constant tlc to keep them going and two have been replaced, one immediately after installation and one at a few years.

The ones I've seen put in which are still in use long term are when the gate slides sideways instead of opening on hinges.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
I hate them and have been flighting against MrGS’s love of them for years .
OBly get one if you have an alternative entrance to the place .
IME they are a PITA they don’t like the extreme wet, the cold , snow high wind etc etc .

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
We are having some new gates fitted this summer, with automation. I currently have solar lighting at the gates, but wouldn't try to use it for gates.

I am also going for the sideways sliding ones, as they seem to be more reliable. A lot of the farms round here have them. A friend too, she has had hers for 12 years, never got stuck yet.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Look up a company called Gatecare. They installed ours and have never had issues. Works from solar panel and phone sim. Open via keypad, fob, or mobile or landline phone. (Have to enter authorised numbers into gate sim).
Our gates are double metal opening inwards but, as they install for the railways, think the mechanism will work on any type of gate.

Steerpike

Visit site
We used to have both the sliding and the normal automatic gates when I used to work in London, in all honesty they were a complete pain in the backside and always had something wrong with them.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
We used to have both the sliding and the normal automatic gates when I used to work in London, in all honesty they were a complete pain in the backside and always had something wrong with them.

I can honestly say we have never had an issue in the six years we have had them.

Winters100

Visit site
I am also going for the sideways sliding ones, as they seem to be more reliable. A lot of the farms round here have them. A friend too, she has had hers for 12 years, never got stuck yet.

This is also my experience - sliding ones are great and work whether it is -20 or +30. The 'arm' type ones which open and close by moving inwards and outwards have a short life and fail to work with alarming frequency!

tda

Visit site
There is an electric gate at the top of our lane, which is also a bridleway.
It's ok but when it breaks /someone hits it, it's costly, , which happens quite often, usually no one admits to it, but ours is quute heavily used, 5 houses, but also shoot traffic.
Has had three repairs over the last 3 years

Spotherisk

Visit site
Hmm seems as if we will have to commit to getting out, unlocking gate, driving through, shutting gate for a long while yet then! Thank you for all comments, very much appreciated.