Automatic Water Drinker

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I would not be without mine, but I prefer the ones that they have to nudge, that way I know the water is clean & fresh. Mo knew how to use her's straight away & has never had a problem. My sister's horse is a complete woose & has to have a normal auto fill one. Sas is the same, prefers the auto one. Has anyone found the best way to train the horse to use the nudge one? I have covered it in treacle, which sort of worked though they seemed a bit surprised when the water came out! I want the foal to learn so any ideas, as Mo must have used one b4, so I can not be the only owner who likes them.

Abs

Visit site
I have the automatic one - my gal had never used them before and I was worried she wouldn't pick up on it - she did in a matter of days. I don't know about the nudge version, but I sounds like you're going the best way about it with the tracle. Will the foal be able to reach, though?

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Yes, I will make sure he can get to it ok. What I could do before getting them fitted is swap stables with Mo & see if I can teach him to use it. I am hoping that Mo will teach her foal due next year, but I would love to know where she learnt. I am not aware of many people using the nudge type & she just did it automatically not treacle needed!

eventingdiva

Visit site
At the dressage yard i work at they have the nudge ones, there is only one horse who wont use them (hes scared of the noise!)
The others havent been taught how to use them, they get the hang of it on their own. Having horses in and out of the yard weekly doesnt leave a lot of time to teach each individual horse how to use them, but they've all been ok figuring them out! x