Awesome book!

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
I was babysitting last night from seven to midnight, and after failing to get the telly to work, I decided to raid the bookshelves. I found something labled The Art Of Horfemanfhip. Now the parents aren't horsy at all, and I suppose it was just an artifact. I read some all the same.

It was ancient. Literally. Medievil, I believe o_o The illustrations were woodcut and sort of baroque, they used f instead of s, loads of it was in latin, and that was only the beginning! I read a part called Turnout, and it said that if you cut a horses mane, it stopped him being able to run fast. This was 'scientifically proven'. It also mentioned that God gave a horse his forelock to protect his eyes in battle. And that you should use opium on the poor creature if he wouldn't settle.

Lordy. Certainly an experience xD I'm going to ask if I can borrow it. It had a lovely poem about Attys (an ancient spanish sire) and how a charger of his line had been the pride of Troy. x)

S_N

Visit site
Sounds very much like Xenophon's "The Art of Horsemanship". He was Greek and was the master of the horse for the Greek Army in Egypt. If I remember correctly, he wrote the book in Alexandria in around 400BC and is widely acknowledged to be the first person to put pen to paper on the practicalities of horse management and training. I have a copy somewhere - it's an awesome book.

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
Hah, wow!
laugh.gif
I had no idea it was that old o_o