Awkward rug problem

Chippers1

Visit site
Buzz gets mild sweet itch and this year I've bought him a new Shires sweet itch rug which I've just put on as the flies are coming out. He has a little bit of a problem though...he wees in the belly flap!
I've tried tightening it as safe as possible, didn't help, I've tried loosening it as far as I'm happy to go which he still manages to wee in but at least it's not soaking him in it as well.

There's a tide line of wee around the bottom of my lovely new rug! What can I do to help him? If i cut part of the belly flap would it unravel the rest? And still do it's job? I'm a bit limited in what I can do with all the restrictions in place but if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful :)
Hoping to not have a stinky horse as well as a fat one!

Chippers1

Visit site
How tight will it go? I’d want it so you can only get a couple of fingers in at most. I’d worry about them getting a hoof in it if it’s loose enough to pee on.

As tight as it will go, right to the top of the straps. He wouldn't be able to get a hoof in, it's just right in front of his sheath and he can be a lazy wee-er and not get himself out fully so I think that's how it goes in. It's tight enough that he gets wee on his belly!
I can't go down a size in rug as it would be too small.

WandaMare

Visit site
It sounds like you might have to get it altered to shorten the belly flap a bit, I had to do that with one of mine. Had to chop off about 4 inches in the end, then re-seam. Bit of a pain but probably easier than having to wash it all the time.

Chippers1

Visit site
I had the exact same problem with the exact same rug.

Washed it and sold it....
At least I'm not the only one ?

It sounds like you might have to get it altered to shorten the belly flap a bit, I had to do that with one of mine. Had to chop off about 4 inches in the end, then re-seam. Bit of a pain but probably easier than having to wash it all the time.

Sounds like I will probably have to do this, my mum has a sewing machine I could use but I can't currently go and get it :( I dont even have a sewing kit at home!

It's so stinky and he's only had it on for a little while, I'll have to brave brining it home for a wash soon ?

Chianti

Visit site
Mine manages to do it with both Shires and Premier Equine. I have several rugs and just change the rug and wash the one he's weed in.

Sir barnaby

Visit site
Have you tried putting one twist in the belly flap before you fasten it, we used to do this with the shires body suits when we put them on the geldings to keep them clean.

Chippers1

Visit site
If it is still too loose when fastened as short as possible could you stitch, by hand, a length wise tuck in the belly flap to shorten it?
If you have some plaiting thread and a large needle it could work.

That is a good idea! I normally use plaiting thread for stitching up holes on rugs so I have some around...unfortunately it's currently on the yard and we're not allowed on at the moment, i'll try the twist and then if that doesn't work i'll try this :)

Have you tried putting one twist in the belly flap before you fasten it, we used to do this with the shires body suits when we put them on the geldings to keep them clean.

I will definitely try this first!

Thank you all :)