Ayr Show BSJA - Jack grows up (long!)

JenniferB

Visit site
So as a few of you know I was taking Jack to Ayr County to jump the Newcomers and 1.10m open on Saturday. I was obviously a very bad girl in a past life as the heavens opened on Monday and pretty much didn't stop all of last week. There were rumours flying about that the jumping would be cancelled or moved to an indoor venue, but my trainer checked with the secretary on Friday night and it was indeed all going ahead
crazy.gif

Got up sharp on Saturday am and looked out the curtains to no rain but seriously dark clouds. One of the other liveries was jumping the BN so we left pretty sharp and got to the show just after 9am. I couldn't believe we actually managed to drive straight in - was expecting that they'd be towing everything in and out. We got out the lorry and the heavens opened again, but amazingly the ground underfoot actually felt not so bad! I went to have a look at the ring I'd be jumping in and to help the other livery learn her track, it didn't look too bad only a few puddles with most of it looking not too horrific, but the practice ring was already starting to churn, as was my stomach with the thought of how bad it would be by classes 3 and 4. I then toddled over to watch what was happening in the main ring as wasn't sure what the schedule was over there.

When I got over I stood there thinking "that's really not all that big..." - it was a 1.20m open
blush.gif
but didn't look massively strong. By this point my trainer had already decided to put his horse into it instead of the 1.10m (she's a Grade A but has been off work for ages and ages) and as we worked out what the course was (we were too late to walk) I began to think that maybe I could actually give it a bash! I asked my trainer what he thought and his reaction was basically why the hell not, get the best of the going in a better ring! Two of his friends who were also there (one of whom Jack came from in the first place) were winding me up to just jump it as well so regardless of the fact that Jack has only ever done 3 1.20m classes in his life, neither of us has ever started at that height and he's only jumped 4 or 5 shows this year I went and swapped out of the 1.10m open and into the 1.20m
shocked.gif

So anyway, got studded up and tacked up (still pouring at this point may I add) and went to warm up. He jumped well enough considering it was pretty sticky so was feeling pretty confident when I got in the ring, but we came down to the first fence and ground to a halt - think he was totally shell shocked by the fact that we were in a field and the fence was a bit bigger than he was expecting! Had a little chat with Mr Whippy and he decided that jumping was far preferable to stopping again and so we carried on round fine up till the water tray when I rode like a muppet staring down at it so Jack obviously thought there was something to worry about and stopped again
mad.gif

Came out and got the deserved bollocking from trainer and the rest of the team and decided that as the rain STILL wasn't letting up just to swap out of the Newcomers and go back in HC just to see if I could get round. Had a quick fence in the practice ring which he tried to buck me off after then headed back in. He tried really hard and put up with a couple of horrendous mistakes from me to jump round with three down (all totally my fault). Got a bollocking again but told I could be pleased with my ponio which I most certainly was! Didn't know if he'd ever have the balls to go in at 1.20m but it was one of my aims for the end of the year, and didn't know if I'd be brave enough either lol and we went out and did it at one of the biggest shows in our area! Was a really good education for us both so looking forward to the rest of the season now.

Coffee and a big fat bacon roll for everyone getting this far
smile.gif

MissSBird

Visit site
Was there on Sunday and the ground was hideous - and we were only showing inhand. Don't know how you managed to jump that height on it, so well done!!

tricksibell85

Visit site
Ah well done - was thinking of you on sat, as heard the juniors was cancelled?

Are you going to the Dalry show @ Rowallan this weekend?

JenniferB

Visit site
They moved the juniors to Rowallan, the back ring really couldn't have held up to a full day of competition (it was wrecked when we left at lunchtime on Saturday), the main ring was miles better so they kept the horses there. Such a shame for the organisers, and no doubt disappointing for the kids but with H&S etc the organisers were really left with no other choice - at least Rowallan were able to accomodate them though so they didn't miss out totally. How were the showing rings?

Sarah hoping to get on Saturday for a spin round, not actually asked yet but as it's just up the road and we've only three to get ready to race on the Sunday I'm ever hopeful. You getting?

JenniferB

Visit site
Excellent, that's what you need! I'm working on the Saturday am but hoping to go straight from work and catch the Newcomers (might text you to see how busy it is) and if I'm too late for that I'll just do the 1.15m I suppose - feeling brave after Saturday lol! If I don't get on Saturday will hopefully get a run at Stewarton the following week then it's a slack weekend for me followed by Newmilns - oh how I love taking entries...
crazy.gif