Azotoria management

fairyclare

Visit site
I have just spent the evening at the yard waiting for the vet to come as my mare tied up.

She has never had Azotoria before tonight (I have owned her 10yrs) she did show an increased level of muscle enzyme in bloods run as part of a performance work up when she was competing back in '04/'05 at the time the vet said that it was such a small amount that she woun't have showed any symptoms of tying up, just that it was there and something to be aware of for the future, he prescribed a week off, a few days bute and a course of aloe vera juice.

Now she has had this episode i am wondering what i can do to manage it so she doesn't have another attack.
I'll list her feed/routine etc below to see where i could improve.

Feed - 1 heaped scoop twice daily of Badminton Ultra grass
1 large mug of Simple systems Blue bag Grass nuts in her snack ball am
1 Measure of Simple Systems Total Eclipse supplement pm
1 measure of mint am + pm
Salt bucket
Plenty of carrots and an apple (increased due to no T/O)
No concentrates as she is allergic to grain, 100% fibre diet

Hay - pretty much ad-lib
3 sections am + a very small (travel size) net of haylege
1 lunch time
3 night
1 late night if needed

No T/O since Jan but she goes in the indoor sand paddock for a roll and a leg stretch am and is lunged/ridden pm, i also try to sneak her out to our jump paddock for an hrs grazing at least every other day, not always possible as if i am caught T/O on it i'll get a telling off (its nowt special, just a rough grassy patch!)
Her stable is 12'x15' so she has plenty of space to mooch about in.

I make sure she gets out of her stable twice a day minimum and always give her a good strapping groom, especially if the weather has been too bad to ride or lunge.

She has her Equilibrium massage pad on once a day, twice if i can't remember if i have done it already
blush.gif
she has magnets on for about 8hrs everyday.
She has recently had a new saddle fitted, due to ice, snow and now rain we haven't had much use out of it but its been fitted by a master saddler etc.

What else can i do to prevent it happening again?

Sorry it turned into a bit of a ramble!

FC xx

Halfstep

Visit site
My mare used to suffer from Azorturia, and I found the following invaluable for management:

1. Careful and slow warm up and cool down at all times.
2. Don't let her get cold, so an exercise sheet until fully warmed up, plenty of rugs and don't clip over the quarters (i.e. do a blanket clip instead of clipping out).
3. High oil and fiber diet, but cut completely to only chaff and supplements on rest days.
4. A selenium, vit. E and MSM supplement. (NAF and Equine America do good ones).

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
In this weather there has a been a lot of tying up episodes according to my vet. When my horse was off over Christmas he asked that I had cut food by at least in half while horse was off and also on frosty/icy days where little exercise could be done. Also to walk for 20 mins before doing any hard work was done and to wear an exercise sheet in the cold.

Tying up seems to occur when a horse has had too much food and no work. I always now cut food in half on days off after hunting or when not being ridden just in case.

fairyclare

Visit site
Thanks for thge replies
smile.gif

She is always well rugged up, never has any 'feed' only fibre so it can't be that she is in and i haven't dropped her feed down.

I always try and warm her up with lots of walking then so long low trotting on a loose rein, she is always walked off once she has worked.
I also never just take all her rugs off and leave her standing in the cold, i quarter her when she is groomed and throw her rugs back over her when i've put the saddle on, whilst i get her bridle on, my hat etc so she has a good 5 mins with the saddle on her back and the warmth of the rugs before i get on.
I also usually warm her up in an exercise sheet, i haven't bothered taking it off since we've had this cold snap!

dressagecrazy

Visit site
My horse tyed up not long after being fed SS grass nut's. Never got to the bottom of it but thats when i happened the first time.

I now have him on a high oil fibre only diet comprising of Dengie Alfa Oil, Topspec CoolCondition & Topspec Balancer. I also Feed the Naf product mentioned above which is quite crucial, especially for horses that suffer Azatoria or are on a high Oil diet.
I would recommend that you have a look at putting your horse on a high oil diet there's loads of research available on the Net. Its working for mine.

UKa

community.webshots.com
Feed - avoid sugars and starch and feed high fibre; high oil content is also recommended. My mare is prone to tying up and she gets Alfa A Oil with high fibre nuts and extra oil (sunflower from the supermarket); I also supplement with selenium and vitamin E - e.g Selenavite or similar. If you feed simple systems feeds though I think they have stuff that is suitable and they will be able ot advise on a suitable diet. My vet also recommended adding salt to the feeds. Also, after the attack cut back hard feed completely and just feed hay with plenty of water available of course.

Turnout - best to give as much as poss but if not, you are doing your best by keeping the horse on the move as much as you can

Work - make sure you warm up and cool down very properly and it is also advisable to use a warm exercise sheet in the winter to keep muscles warm at all times(cold appears to be the main trigger in my horse).

Good luck with your horse, it is a heart breaking thing but can be managed!

UKa

community.webshots.com
Hi, just reading this - I know how you must feel. My mare had a mild attack earlier this winter the first in 3 years and I could not see where I had gone wrong as I am always so careful since she first tied up ...

some horses get it after having a virus of some sort (you can get the blood tested if no symptoms) and if they have some sort of stress in their lives...

Madcow

Visit site
I have a TB ex-racer that used to suffer with bouts of Azotoria, proper warm up and cool down is very important, but the best thing I found to help manage him was Saracen Re-leve and Equi-Jewell. The people at Saracen were really helpful.

BFG

Visit site
Just to add to all this wonderful advice. When my mare tied up 11 years ago that it can be brought on by spasmodic work and this weather has been contributory to this. It is easy to work them harder because they have had to have a few days off. Also 5-year-old mares are more prone to it, just some useless information.