azoturia, muscle enzymes

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Any tips on management?

A good supplinent to ensure she had the correct vitamins?

Story is this.

7 year old wesh x.
She has always been fit and well.
Until spring last year she showed poor performance, didn't want to jump, very sad and unhappy.
Blood test showed liver function problem.she went on a course if antibiotic and a liver suppliment.
After second blood test it had improved, 3rd was almost normal, this was over about 4 months, she was happier and her performance improved.

Vet said do another blood test in about 6 months.

So 6 months on, totally back to normal, no problems,
Blood test showed liver is fine but now she has slightly higher muscle enzyme levels.
She has never tied up or showed any other signs, cramp, stiffness, grumpiness.

Vet said it could be a blip, carry on as normal and do another test in about 4 months.

Hopefully all will be normal then but anything else I can do or give her to reduce the risks furthers?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My mare had Myopathy which is a lesser form of Azutoria

she had 3 months off work. After that I was told to watch her energy feeds and not give them to her if she has a few days off , and not to leave her than 2 days in a row with no excise,
lastly take a little longer to warm muscles than you would with a normal horse.in your warm up time

This was back in 98 ish she hasnt had another attack since * touches wood*

Oh yes what brought us to it, was her starting to buck at canter then over the weeks trot, by the end she was bucking in walk thats when i got the vet

Last edited:

ThePony

Visit site
OH mare had a few episodes of tying up, vet at the sime suggested a selinium deficiency could be contributing to it. We have had our grazing analysed and a feed plan worked up so that she has balanced minerals and so isn't likely to have an ongoing deficiency. Touch wood, not a hint of a problem since! OH is obv v careful with her work routine and doesn't work her hard immediatly before or after a day off or a period of time in the stable.