B and B Bounce Around First BS

measles

Visit site
It's been a while since I posted as A has been studying hard for exams with a conditional offer for university and B had a very bad chest infection and so riding wasn't an option (he has a history of pneumonia :( ).

Over the last few weeks 9yo B has been getting his pony Bobby fitter again and out to a few unaffiliated shows where they have had fun and a fair amount of success. B particularly likes the local SJ schooling evenings where he gets to charge around and beat the adults ;)

So, we all agreed last week that he might be ready to face the challenges of BS with Bobby and they were both duly registered on the very good value Pony Club offer. I did wonder why I was putting myself through it though as I was nervous for him as the week progressed while he was oblivious and had complete confidence in his pony.

Saturday dawned bright and sunny, and off we went to jump at his first BS show. By the time he had walked the course (commenting on how square and wide the fences were) and got his pony ready the warm up had become really quite busy and B worries when he can't get a clear line to his fences. I encouraged him to use the space creatively and he did until someone cut him up coming to the oxer and he ended up at it with 2 backward strides. Bobby should have stopped but being Bobby jumped, but from nothing, and B flew through the air and I'd like to say bounced but landed with a thud :( Not quite the start I had anticipated and I had a conscious swallow down the nerves and jollied him back on. To be fair to B he was really more concerned that he might have frightened his pony coming off, and grateful that he hadn't stopped :)

The class was single phase and so after a couple of confidence building fences and another refresher about what single phase is off he headed into the ring. When B started competing I told him that, along with visiting the secretary at the end of the day to say thank you, you should always acknowledge the judge and he remembered and trotted in, nodding to the judges box. I must admit to having a little almost well up moment.

B has been taking on board my encouragement to get a good canter and set off over the first fence as he means to go on and this he did, jumping clear and immediately setting off around the jump off section as fast as he could. My instructions had been to have fun and only do what he felt he wanted to, but he seems to have inherited a competitive gene from somewhere. I wonder how that could be? ;)

He was delighted to find himself in second place in good company and he stayed there, so one very happy little boy.

201305251014118_zps891e81b0.jpg
[/URL]

201305250848135_zpsf4d11d51.jpg
[/URL]

201305251014112_zpsed6f1466.jpg
[/URL]

We walked the course for the next class and it was the biggest 2 phase track he had jumped, with the jump off being a real step up for them. I was very grateful when Bobby had a fence in the first phase, the first fence he has had at a competition since we got him, and B could come out on a high having jumped but not having to tackle the "huge" last fence!

One very happy small boy, smug pony having had lots of pats and mum who finally started breathing again around 6pm last night!

Lolo

Visit site
Bobby is just such an amazing pony, B is a very lucky boy- he rides him beautifully. Love the patting photos :)

Those fences are considerably bigger than I'd ever like to tackle :eek:

measles

Visit site
So adorable! Glad their confidence wasn't knocked too much by B's dismount :)
I hate SJ warm ups and I can imagine its even more difficult if you're mini too!

Well done to all of you!

No, thankfully B bounces and trusts his pony. I've learnt to put him in at the beginning of his first class and end of the second when the warm up is quieter, just until B has a bit more experience of using the space creatively.

slumdog

Visit site
Lovely report and great pics. You must be so proud. How old is he? Will be keeping my eye out for more reports to come :)

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
They look so good together.

Think I need to get B to jump Jazz for me at SNEC- she hates the venue for some reason but with B's confidence I think she'd be fine ;)

He's going to be some rider.

Lyle

Visit site
Squeeee! They are just adorable aren't they? What a lovely combination, well done to B and B!

Rosiefan

Visit site
Lovely report, lovely pics and fantastic B&B combo - way to go boys! Am I remembering rightly that Ben actually insisted that Bobby was THE pony, slightly against your better judgement? If so, I reckon you ought to let him choose all the horses you buy ;)

measles

Visit site
Lovely report, lovely pics and fantastic B&B combo - way to go boys! Am I remembering rightly that Ben actually insisted that Bobby was THE pony, slightly against your better judgement? If so, I reckon you ought to let him choose all the horses you buy ;)

Well remembered, Rosiefan! It was B who insisted we had Bobby when he rode him in Ireland despite him being built downhill and a hand bigger at the croup than in front! Believe me, B reminds me of it almost daily! :D

amage

Visit site
Lovely to see Ben has inherited your innate ability to pick out a good Irish animal!!! At this rate Irish people will be going to Scotland to buy nice Irish horses ;-P

lex2501

Visit site
:D Awesome, you must be super-duper proud :) I absolutely LOVED the T-shirt he was wearing in the photo you put on facebook whilst celebrating too :)

kirstykate

Visit site
What an amazing little pony and a fabulous wee jockey a future star in the making, a huge well done to B and Bobby, Kick on and ride like you stole it;);)

dafthoss

Visit site
You must be so proud of them both especially ben's grown up attitude. He always looks so pleased with his pony in every picture of them both.