B+E Trailer test.. do it yourself?

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I have decided I need to do my B+E trailer test as I am getting fed up of other people having to tow me everywhere. I own my own 506 trailer and have a Shogun.. which makes it even more irritating.

I can park it myself and am quite confident towing, just need to get some practice with this 's' bay park you have to do.

Cheapest quote, I've got is £555 for a days worth of lessons and the test on the 2nd day (included) which is aimed at anyone with 'some towing experience' but the test on its own is only £115 and have family who could accompany me.

A friend practiced herself and used her own trailer/truck for the test and passed first time. Has anyone else done this?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think the main thing for those already towing regularly so they often miss it is the checks you should be doing on the trailer before you rehitch. Am sure there is a list somewhere. And probably driving a bit faster than you would with a horse in.
I did a 3 day course, I was pleased I did TBF.

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
Definitely worth doing a least a days training in my opinion and hiring for test (I passed at the end of August). What you need to know/ do to pass the B+E test do not necessarily match what you need to know/ do to safely drive a horse trailer!

There’s a lot of little points that are automatic fails which a good trainer will ensure you know, along with the test centre routes and common places where mistakes are made. It also means you don’t have to faff around with finding 500kg of aggregate etc to load the trailer with, side mirror attachments etc.

ROG

Visit site
Check out post number 3000 of the HHO TOWING CLINIC link in my signature below

It contains all you need to know for B+E test

Are you in Leics? - if yes then I can help for FREE

EX LGV & B+E instructor

AandK

Visit site
I did 6 months of towing on L plates with my Dad sat with me before I took my test. I did a long lesson in the morning and my test the same afternoon. Was glad I did as picked up tips from the instructor to help me, was useful practicing the reverse manoeuvre under instruction too.

Haphazardhacker

Visit site
I am in exactly the same position and have been practising as ROG has mentioned in empty car parks on Sunday evenings going from one set of bays to another in both left and right s bends. I feel forced to hire an instructor and car as trailer has to be loaded with a specific weight as mentioned above.

Equi

Visit site
If you are already somewhat okay with the trailer i would get one lesson with a local instructor so they can tell you what is actually expected of you in the test vs teaching you much. I was a total newbie to trailer driving so i had a fair few lessons but i caught onto the trailer stuff extremely fast the issues came with my actual driving! I had many bad habits i had to break before i was able to be tested lol

I adore reversing trailers, my dad who has been doing it all his life actually gets me to reverse anything now. I pulled a blinder of one at a show ground. Had to do a three point turn with tied up horses on each side and the ring behind and the police in front! Felt a bit of a sweat during that one...but i did it perfect without any need to correct my position or pull back and forth and a man who was standing at the back waving about thinking he was helpful said i did very well for a young lady :p My proudest moment.

alexomahony

Visit site
When I did mine, I was already regularly towing on a B licence so had 2 x 2 hour lessons (one one day, and one before the test) and used their car and trailer as it is all marked up to make the maneuvers easier!

i'm really glad I did as the instructor gave me some invaluable tips and also all the therory ansers ready for the test. I don't believe I would have passed without this.

All in it cost me just over £400.

:)

Reactions: SWE

Sasana Skye

Visit site
I did mine last year, cost £525 for a 3 day course including test with Sharon at Mendip Towing. Passed first time with only one minor for forgetting to put the pin back in after coupling :rolleyes:. I had done a bit of reversing and driving with my dad and my own trailer and his land rover in a retail car park and started to get the hang of it but the reversing is actually the easiest part IMO. I would definitely recommend getting at least one lesson in for a few hours because you might become comfortable towing and reversing but you still need to pass the test and the instructors know the procedures that you need to follow in order to pass the test.

ETA: Also the trailer needs a secured 600kg weight in it for the test which is a bit of a faff if using your own trailer.

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
Check out post number 3000 of the HHO TOWING CLINIC link in my signature below

EX LGV & B+E instructor

Which bit of Leics? I'm northants so not a million miles away, and I do need to do mine at some point. I had 3 driving lessons and passed my car test so I'm hoping this is going to work the same way!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site

Miles away unfortunately, I'm in the South West.
I have booked 10 hours including the test with a chap a friend used, hes a good price too compared to the popular ones. Test is booked for the end of October so fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Sasana Skye

Visit site
I adore reversing trailers, my dad who has been doing it all his life actually gets me to reverse anything now. I pulled a blinder of one at a show ground. Had to do a three point turn with tied up horses on each side and the ring behind and the police in front! Felt a bit of a sweat during that one...but i did it perfect without any need to correct my position or pull back and forth and a man who was standing at the back waving about thinking he was helpful said i did very well for a young lady :p My proudest moment.

That is impressive! I did myself proud 2 weeks ago by reversing a 511 and LR Discovery out of someones driveway with tall brick walls on either side and onto a narrow single track country lane. It took a couple of shunts but I must have looked fairly competent because none of the crowd of men watching me offered to help. Once you get the theory of reversing nailed down it's actually very straightforward.

ROG

Visit site
Which bit of Leics? I'm northants so not a million miles away, and I do need to do mine at some point. I had 3 driving lessons and passed my car test so I'm hoping this is going to work the same way!
I am north of the city bordering the county - you are a bit far south for me

Sprat

Visit site

I used a company called NearWay driving to do my B+E test, they are in Weedon so not a million miles away from you. I opted for the 2 day course and test, this included about 6hrs of training on the first day, with another 3 the following morning and then the test.

I managed to pass with a clear sheet and no minors at all, and I am usually a terrible driver so I would highly recommend them. From memory, it was around £500

Leo Walker

Visit site
Theres someone with a big logoed set up who lives in the street behind me and I'm sure that's them! I don't think I would cope with a full day though. I need to ring round some people and see if anyone will do smaller chunks of training.

ROG

Visit site
I used a company called NearWay driving to do my B+E test, they are in Weedon so not a million miles away from you. I opted for the 2 day course and test, this included about 6hrs of training on the first day, with another 3 the following morning and then the test.

I managed to pass with a clear sheet and no minors at all, and I am usually a terrible driver so I would highly recommend them. From memory, it was around £500
Weedon also has the DVSA driving test centre for B+E - unless that has changed recently ?

Sprat

Visit site
Theres someone with a big logoed set up who lives in the street behind me and I'm sure that's them! I don't think I would cope with a full day though. I need to ring round some people and see if anyone will do smaller chunks of training.

It may be worth giving them a call, I think they offer short courses as well

J1993

Visit site
I also have my test at the end of October. I have a day and a half course booked with the test on the 2nd day. They told me to be reading up on the show me tell me questions but other than that just turn up on the day!

ROWT

New User
Visit site
ETA: Also the trailer needs a secured 600kg weight in it for the test which is a bit of a faff if using your own trailer.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has gone through the test alone and how straightforward it was as I'm considering this option. The guidance seems quite exact about the vehicle, trailer and particularly the load. It would be good to know what anyone has used as their load and how it was secured etc. I figure I could go to a DIY shop or where-ever and pick up enough bags of aggregate to meet the 600kg requirements but it doesn't seem that easy to find aggregate with the weight marked on the bags. Just wondering how picky the examiners are? I'm worried I'd turn up for the test and be turned away for not using the right load or not securing it properly or something like that!