B+E training and test in Cambs

DellaMoon

Visit site
Just had the go ahead from my wonderful OH to get a trailer! That means I need to sort my B+E training and test asap. Any info would be greatly received. Can you recommend a training centre near Huntingdon? Where would I be able to do the test? Can you only do the test on a week day?

Itching to get going now! Thank you!

goneshowjumping

Visit site
Just had the go ahead from my wonderful OH to get a trailer! That means I need to sort my B+E training and test asap. Any info would be greatly received. Can you recommend a training centre near Huntingdon? Where would I be able to do the test? Can you only do the test on a week day?

Itching to get going now! Thank you!

i know of one in peterborough, but not huntingdon, but as you have to do your test in peterborough it might be worth contacting them, they have a nice discovery and a box trailer.
C-Way School of Motoring, 285 Peterborough Road, Farcet, Cambridgeshire, PE7 3BW
havent got the number for them but im sure if you google it you will find it.
good luck!

ROG

Visit site
Tests can be on saturdays or evenings but cost more

The tests are done at LGV/PCV test centres so it will be Peterborough for you

Near me most do 3 half days with test on day 3 for an all in price of £650 if pass first time

If you are only intending to tow one horse then you can tow on your current B licence - see the HHO TOWING CLINIC link in my signature at the bottom of this post

All B licence holders have a B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence

That means they can tow a B+E combination either loaded or empty and on a motorway providing they adhere to these rules:-
Supervising driver must be age 21+ and held B+E for 3+ years
L plates on front of vehicle and rear of trailer
Correct insurance for B+E learner - check with current insurer

The B+E test
No medical or theory test required
Read a number plate from a certain distance
VIDEO - Show Me Tell Me Questions - usually 5
The next three can be in any order:-
VIDEO - Reversing Exercise (old measurements) - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
VIDEO - Uncouple/couple up - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
One hour road drive - includes the independant drive and is done virtually the same as the basic car test

DISCLAIMER - I have no connection to any companies which may be featured in those videos

DellaMoon

Visit site
ROG, thank you for your help! I would only be travelling one horse. Our car is a volvo v70 automatic 2002 (I think!). Is there a possibility that I could travel a 520kg horse without the +E on my licence? If so what trailer would I need?

Thank you again.

dafthoss

Visit site
Just what I am looking at for this summer :D thanks goneshowjumping.

ROG how long would you recomend for an intensive course? if its any help I passed my driving test with 14 hours lessons.

ROG

Visit site
ROG, thank you for your help! I would only be travelling one horse. Our car is a volvo v70 automatic 2002 (I think!). Is there a possibility that I could travel a 520kg horse without the +E on my licence? If so what trailer would I need?

Thank you again.
IS THIS YOUR CAR?
Kerb = 1611
GVW = 2200
Towing 1800

HORSE = 550 to allow for extra sugar lumps!!

TRAILERS - they would need to be downplated by the manufacturers to 1300 max as 2200+1300=3500 which is the max for B licence towing
Downplating is usually free or at a minute cost

BATESON LIGHT HORSE TRAILER plated at 1300 leaves 625 for load

CHEVAL LIGHT HORSE TRAILER plated at 1300 leaves 645 for load

IFOR LIGHT HORSE TRAILER plated at 1300 leaves 530 for load

Those are three examples I know of but there may be more

ROG

Visit site
ROG how long would you recomend for an intensive course? if its any help I passed my driving test with 14 hours lessons.
3 half days with test on day 3

Possibly less if you can get practice beforehand

I've known one or two to do it in one day having had previous practice - training in morning with test in afternoon!!

I posted what is need in another of my posts earlier in this thread so if you can do that lot before booking any training & test then go for the all in one day thing

Princess P

Visit site
My husband had a summer of towing my pony to shows under his dad's supervision, then 4 half days at Apex Training in Peterborough and then passed his test first time the next day.

He said it was good having training in Peterborough as that is where the test is so the route he took on the test was familiar to him, and he had got the hang of doing multiple roundabouts, there are hundreds in Peterborough!

Good luck with your B+E, I'm planning to learn in Sept when my husband will have been passed for 3 years so can teach me!

x

ROG

Visit site
Last question (I hope!), is there a legal requirement for wing mirror extensions?
Not as far as I know however, if you cannot see properly down both sides of the trailer then it could be deemed unsafe which opens up a load of possible legal outcomes