B licence tow-ers... What car and trailer?

ROG

Visit site
I know this involves a lot of trawling through 850 posts !! but there are plenty of examples in the HHO towing clinic thread which may be worth considering

Link to that thread in my signature below

bex1984

Visit site
Thanks, had a look in there, as you say there are lots of examples! I'm starting from scratch - will be buying car and trailer so I really want to know what's the ideal combo to look at. Budget for a car is small but I don't mind an older diesel. Just need to pull one 480kg pony for occasional jollies and oh will need to use car to get to work so can't be too bad on fuel. What would be your ultimate recommendation ROG?

ROG

Visit site
What would be your ultimate recommendation ROG?
I can only go on what others have said ....

It seems that a Nissan Xtrail with an Ifor williams HB401 or HB403 downplated is the most popular choice

There are loads of other combinations so I do not envy your task

bex1984

Visit site
Thanks, I was thinking of a downplated 401 or 403 although I'm not sure the budget will stretch (I think they're like gold dust second hand?!). Friends tows with an x trail and it always seems good.

Yep, it's a big decision. My beloved pony is on full loan and very happy, and I can ride him once a week so I'm thinking I want to make the most of my ride and go on adventures :D

ROG

Visit site
Sorry if I am being dumb, but what is a 'downplated' trailer?

I'm guessing it means to make it lighter? Is this something you can do yourself?
the trailer remains the same unladen/empty weight but the maximum it can be when fully loaded is the bit which is reduced

Here is an example where a trailer needs to be downlated to conform to B licence towing rules ....

The B licence towing rules are -
the vehicle GVW (MAM) added to the trailer plated MAM must not be more than 3500 kgs
the trailer plated MAM must not be more than the towing vehicle unladen/kerb weight

Nissan X trail (4X4) with these specifications/dimensions
Unladen/kerb = 1515
GVW = 2050
Towing = 2000
Max trailer plated MAM = 1450 kgs

A HB401 or 403 comes with a plated MAM of 1600 kgs so would need down plating to 1450 in this case which can easily be done by contacting the manufacturer of that trailer (Ifor williams) who will then give you their nearest dealer to go to to get it done for little or no cost

grandmaweloveyou

Visit site
Isuzu Trooper £3000-£4000 and everyday use. Rice Trailer £1300 inc new floor / brakes / service = me, 1 very happy tower. 2 horses 1 x 14.3 heavy cob 1 x 16.2 tb.

Overgrown Pony

Visit site
I have a 2ltr Mondeo TDi. It pulls my new Cheval Liberte mare and foal (wider than a single) absolutely no bother with my 17.2hh WB in. The trailer is very light but sturdy and well built. The combo works well.

I was towing it with a 2ltr TD Vauxhall Insignia and that pulled it well too. The Mondeo has a bit more pulling power. Iv never had any issues using either car to tow.

Debz87

Visit site
I don't wish to offend anyone but I'm pretty sure that you will not legally be able to tow the weight of a trailer and ponies/horses with a standard car, even towing with short-wheel base 4x4's is a bit iffy.

I have a Nissan Pathfinder and an Ifor Williams 505, will mostly be towing one horse no more than 14.2hh, not quite sure of his weight.

I still have to take my trailer test (B+E) with a B license you can only tow 500kg from what I remember, which isn't alot when you consider most trailers are around the 1000kg mark.

CobsGalore

Visit site
the trailer remains the same unladen/empty weight but the maximum it can be when fully loaded is the bit which is reduced

Here is an example where a trailer needs to be downlated to conform to B licence towing rules ....

The B licence towing rules are -
the vehicle GVW (MAM) added to the trailer plated MAM must not be more than 3500 kgs
the trailer plated MAM must not be more than the towing vehicle unladen/kerb weight

Nissan X trail (4X4) with these specifications/dimensions
Unladen/kerb = 1515
GVW = 2050
Towing = 2000
Max trailer plated MAM = 1450 kgs

A HB401 or 403 comes with a plated MAM of 1600 kgs so would need down plating to 1450 in this case which can easily be done by contacting the manufacturer of that trailer (Ifor williams) who will then give you their nearest dealer to go to to get it done for little or no cost

What do they do to it then to reduce the mam then?:confused:

bex1984

Visit site
Debz87, it can be done, have a look at ROG's sticky towing clinic thread in competition riders.
Overgrown pony, thanks that's useful. I'm wondering whether a beefy diesel car would do it rather than a 4x4, do you havesany problems parking on fields etc?

cm2581

Visit site
I used to tow with a diesel mondeo and it was fantastic. About 45-50mpg not towing and about 35mpg towing. Yes not as good as big 4x4 in a muddy field but it was a dam site better than a big wagon!! The only reason I changed to a kia sorento was to be able to tow two horses.

ROG

Visit site
I don't wish to offend anyone but I'm pretty sure that you will not legally be able to tow the weight of a trailer and ponies/horses with a standard car,
Perfectly legal on a B or B+E licence

There can be more safety issues though so more care is needed

ROG

Visit site
What do they do to it then to reduce the mam then?:confused:
They change the little silver coloured plate that has the weiights on it

The trailer always remains the same empty weight

It is the top weight that changes which means less can be loaded into it legally

HB401 is 770 empty and 1600 MAM so max load is 830
Downplate to 1400 and max load is 630

Overgrown Pony

Visit site
bex1984 i've never had an issue towing with either of these beefy saloons. My trailer is super light weight. My fiance has a B&E license and towed my horse in an Ifor Williams 511 all the way from the Borders up to Aberdeenshire in the Insignia and it managed no bother. You could feel the trailer on it though. With my Cheval Liberte you honestly don't even know it's attached even with my big horse in towing with the Mondeo. I've never attempted to park and pull out of a muddy field and TBH I always check that there is suitable parking wherever I go. I've parked in a dry grass field before and it was no bother.

bex1984

Visit site
bex1984 i've never had an issue towing with either of these beefy saloons. My trailer is super light weight. My fiance has a B&E license and towed my horse in an Ifor Williams 511 all the way from the Borders up to Aberdeenshire in the Insignia and it managed no bother. You could feel the trailer on it though. With my Cheval Liberte you honestly don't even know it's attached even with my big horse in towing with the Mondeo. I've never attempted to park and pull out of a muddy field and TBH I always check that there is suitable parking wherever I go. I've parked in a dry grass field before and it was no bother.

Thanks :) I do like a beefy diesel car - I miss my old Pug 306 so was thinking of looking at an old 406 or something. I'm only going to be towing a (admittedly chunky) 14hh pony and as it'll only be for occassional trips it makes sense to get a car with good fuel economy for day to day commuting.

Now I just need to find a lightweight trailer...it seems like they are like rocking horse dollop second hand...

Blitzen

Visit site
Bex, my Rice beaufort (fits 2 16hh) is 750kg unladen :) sturdy little thing and it cost next to nothing. I love it.
We only tend to take 1 out at a time so the partition stays out. Happily takes my chunky cob mare or my 16.2hh youngster individually :)
Im looking at an audi a4 2.5 tdi estate for towing
L x

ROG

Visit site
Bex, my Rice beaufort (fits 2 16hh) is 750kg unladen :) sturdy little thing and it cost next to nothing. I love it.
We only tend to take 1 out at a time so the partition stays out. Happily takes my chunky cob mare or my 16.2hh youngster individually :)
Im looking at an audi a4 2.5 tdi estate for towing
L x

That is no good for B licence towing

ROG

Visit site
The audi or the trailer ROG? Or both :eek: :D
I thought the weights for the audi were ok?
The AUDI has a GVW of 2230 so the max plated trailer MAM would be 1270
A lightweight one horse trailer about 770 kgs unladen would leave 500 max for the horse/load

This means it could be done on a B licence but the weights would be tight

2 horses is a no no for B licence towing due to weights

Blitzen

Visit site
Ah, for some reason i had it in my head that it had gvw of 2130, maybe I'm thinking of the 1.9 tdi. It would definitely be a bit tight as my horses each weigh around 520kg at the moment (if both were ever to squeeze in the trailer together my mum would tow with her disco.) Not sure if the 1.9tdi a4 would have enough grunt to do the job for towing 1, though lincs is fairly flat :p
I'll have a look at the xtrail...
Thanks ROG :)

ROG

Visit site
Ah, for some reason i had it in my head that it had gvw of 2130, maybe I'm thinking of the 1.9 tdi. It would definitely be a bit tight as my horses each weigh around 520kg at the moment (if both were ever to squeeze in the trailer together my mum would tow with her disco.) Not sure if the 1.9tdi a4 would have enough grunt to do the job for towing 1, though lincs is fairly flat :p
I'll have a look at the xtrail...
Thanks ROG :)

Manufacturers state the actual weight or towing capacity that their vehicles should be able to cope with easily on hills

You might be right with 2130 as I just googled it quickly - the V5 registered keepers form will say for sure or the plate on the car

Last edited: