Babies and Badminton

LauraBR

Visit site
So, last year I left my 12 month old little boy with my husband while I went to Badminton XC day. There seemed to be so many people there with babies and toddlers in buggies and to be honest, I thought they were all mad!

Fast forward a year, and now I'm planning to take my (would be) 5 month old there this year, eep! I'm still feeding him myself so while my eldest can stay with his Dad, little Henry goes where I go so it's a case of bring him or don't go... and I'm going!

Luckily he is (unlike his elder brother who I would not have entertained doing similar with!) a very easy going baby who will be more than happy enough splitting his time between his baby carrier and his buggy, I'll have friends with me to help out and thankfully his buggy is quite good off-road... but I am still feeling a slight sense of trepidation about the day!

Anyone done it? Any tips? Positive stories?

*Disclaimer*: I'm not planning to ram people with my buggy on the course, or let him scream the place down, or engage in any other baby related anti-social type behaviour... just to put the child-intolerants' minds at rest from the outset;) :p :D

nikkinoo

Visit site
I took my son when he was 4 weeks old, I had a C sect with him but still managed to get around xc course, I think go and enjoy, especially as you have an easy going child you will be fine, mine is a nightmare runs off, wont sit still, wont go in buggy aagghhhh thats why Im going with my friend this year I weill stay there and he will stay at hme with daddy (but prob just come up for xc day)

LauraBR

Visit site
Can't wait either Puppy! So looking forward to seeing everyone! :D

Wow Nikkinoo walking the course with a newborn 4 weeks after a section is pretty impressive, not sure I could have managed that this time round, and I didn't have a stitch! Glad to hear you had a good day! My eldest is two in May and sounds a lot like yours- not conducive to a fun day at Badminton really lol! Thank goodness for fathers eh!

Arabelle

Visit site
I have taken a baby to Badminton, but I had her in a backback - much easier than a buggy. If yours is too young for a backpack, I would use a sling.

LauraBR

Visit site
Yes, I think they need to be able to be able to sit on their own for those backpacks, which he is unlikely to be by then the way he is going. I would MUCH prefer to have him in a sling all day, but the one I use is a mei tei type on my front and because he is a big boy I don't really think I'm strong enough to carry him all day! I use the sling a lot but a few hours is about my limit, much longer and my shoulders start to burn.

You have got me thinking though Arabelle, as I am sure there are some back carries you can do with woven wraps that are suitable for babies his age. Will have to do some research as I totally agree with you- would be so much easier without a buggy.

EmmaJaneWilliams

Visit site
Hi Guys, I work for a baby company just thought I'd mention that we do a couple of baby carriers that are used by the National Trust in places that buggys can not go. Both carriers help prevent backache but for your case I would suggest the Wilkinet baby carrier which is a front carrier that takes a little bit of time to get used to putting it on but is really comfortable we have some customers that have carried babies for up to 4 hours. I can send you the link if you wanted to have a look!

LauraBR

Visit site
The Wilkinet is also based on a mei tei, so pretty similar in many ways (weight distribution wise) to the one I have, so I think I'd still struggle with a heavy baby on my front all day sadly. Maybe I am just too weedy lol!

Always interested to have more baby websites to shop from though so be really interested for the link, thanks! :)

Tilda

Visit site
Haven't been to badminton but I did take my little boy to the cross country day at Burghley in his buggie in that horrendous mud in 2008! We had a great day as I had a few friends with me to help with the buggy in the really bad bits and it helped to have somewhere clean to change his nappy which I think would be the problem if you took the sling!

I hope you and Henry have lots of fun :)

LauraBR

Visit site
If you coped in those awful conditions then I'm sure I'll manage! I wasn't there but remember the mud on TV! Lots of very muddy riders picking themselves off the floor at those horrid mushrooms... Isn't Burghley very hilly too?!

Yeah, I think I am talking myself out of a new back carrier... I'll need to carry round plenty of changing stuff, spare clothes, and a big heavy camera too so would be quite laden for a long day on my feet. If it does turn out to be very muddy it might be a bit slippy too!

They should have held Badminton at Christmas time instead, he would have been much easier to lug around as a lightweight newborn! :D

Weezy

Visit site
For me there are only 2 possibilities, either a back carrier or a buggy - the thought of having a weight on your front all day is just an impossibility :D

Added bonus...with a buggy you have somewhere to put your shopping ;)

I would rather have chewed my own arm off than take a baby to Badders, but I am a) not as maternal as you and b) very selfish and c) usually found in the Pimms Tent :p

Looking forward to seeing you xxx

Arabelle

Visit site
The advantage with a backpack over a sling is you get ones that sort of stand up, so baby can sit in it on the ground - also, they usually have an integral bag for baby stuff. However, it would be tiring - I have ridiculous amounts of stamina, but it wouldn't be for everyone, particularly if you have a bad back.
I must admit, my babies were all breastfed and refused to take a bottle, so I just took them everywhere with me, by sling and then moved onto backpack, so I never really thought about it as I suppose I got used to the weight - it certainly kept my fitness levels up and I never needed to diet!

RuthnMeg

Visit site
Not quite on the same level, but I took my (was then) 1 month baby for a day at Longleat Horse Trials - in the scorching heat! Have to say, although it was nice to sit down on dry grass and have a picnic, I would avoid taking anything under 8 to any big events, as my attention was on him and his elder sister (who was 2.5 years). I got worn out pushing a buggy - which was laden with all the 'equiptment'! I wanted to see more of the horses, but I did do it, glad I tried and now want to go up to to badders as I haven't been in about 7 years. I will try REALLY hard to get Daddy to understand that its a good thing to have both kiddies at home!! (They are now 6.5 and nearly 4!)

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Yes - I've done it with both of mine. Carried them both in a sling (not at the same time !!! two years apart). Both were born in February so tiny babies. Feeding no problem - I wore a large shawl/scarf. I used the car for changing etc but I'm sure there are facilities at the child minding tent. Get them used to early I say. Daughter (Monkeybum) has now been every year of her life.

LauraBR

Visit site
The advantage with a backpack over a sling is you get ones that sort of stand up, so baby can sit in it on the ground - also, they usually have an integral bag for baby stuff.

Unforunately he won't be old enough to go in that sort Arabelle.

I absolutely love my front sling and use it most days in preference to a double buggy but like I say no way would I be able to manage a long day on my feet round a 4 mile course (or whatever it is) with a huge 19lb baby on my front, my big heavy camera, and a bag carrying everything else. Plan to take it and use it but, for me, using it solely isn't an option for Badminton. I would have to invest in a woven wrap to carry him safely on my back if I wanted to 100% sling it.

nikkinoo

Visit site
Definatly take a buggy as I said mine wont go in his but it is a godsend to put all your food and drinks in, plus all the stuff you are going to need for little harry,including spare clothes incase of change in weather out on course, I even pack suncream. you can also use it as a changing station when its nappy change time.

if it does rain at least he can have shelter in his buggy, I always take a plastic backed picnic rug so we can stop and have a sit down for a bit and see a few horses at a fence,

Badminton not to hilly and if you have friends RULE THEY MUST HELP lol my friend was awsum and even pushes buggy for me to have a break,
you can take the sling so he can come out for a bit, I used one for a bit but they do get heavy after a while, im a bit clumsy and was always worried about falling with him.

so my advice DEFINATLY take buggy your friends will be glad when they can put all their food in it aswell lol.
I think they should have a baby/child creche there they would make so much money.
think they have a dog one dont they?

sugarpuff

Visit site
I've taken my little boy, when he was about 7 months old. We took him round in a back pack.....but so that I didn't have to carry him I dragged non horsey hubby along and told him there was a beer tent!!! Luckiliy there were a few of us and we took it in turns to carry and hubby is an ex- rugby player so pretty beefy and was in training for a half marathon so he didn't mind too much! My little boy was also not keen on staying in a pushchair, but was quite happy in a back pack.

But with a really little one a buggy is probably best. I've been with friends who've taken theirs with pushchairs and its fine. Loads of room to carry stuff, can lie down to sleep, etc. Just be prepared for everything to take loads longer than expected with a child in-tow, and don't try to rush anywhere. We didn't get round the whole cross country course, but that's probably due to the fact we had spent ages shopping and eating!