Baby bay pony does an ODE...

GinaGeo

Visit site
...and he only went and won it! Much to mum's dismay, when we went shopping yesterday and I was lusting over the Jeffries five-point breastplate (it has blue and yellow elastic to match my XC colours!) she declared that if we won, she'd buy it for So-pony. She's presently trying to talk her way out of it - hehe! I don't think so, a promise is a promise and So's very excited about being allowed to wear some dead sheep. ;) Quick question, are five points too restrictive for horse's with big shoulders?

Preparation started yesterday - how much tack do eventers have to clean! I was pretty sure I was going to stick with Dressage after scrubbing two saddles, two bridles, breastplate, various boots (his), my boots and getting all the necessary ice packs, pads and tubi-grips ready! I was shattered before we even began! I even took his bling off so as not to upset the eventing dressage judge - apparently unlike BD judges they don't appreciate being dazzled. ;)

After taking young bay pony off schooling to Speetley Equestrian Centre, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to enter him for their ODE. It's a relatively new venue, but is very promising and today was running like clockwork. It's just off the Junction 30 M1, so very easy to access. He's still booked in for Eland in July, but I figured this would be an easier first run for him - less buzzy and more low key.

Bay pony was more than a little traumatised at the prospect of divaing on grass - no nice level man made surface in the land of eventing! But he warmed up beautifully even if he was very concerned that he might chip his hoof on a pebble. Just as we were about to enter at A, a lovely horse came hacking past on the road behind the hedge, which ran parallel to the arena. This was a little upsetting for the diva pony, he had to fight very hard to maintain concentration, it was especially difficult as said horse wasn't wearing hi-vis and he was most concerned about his safety. I opted to circle a few times instead whilst he settled and he soon forgot about his temporary companion.

The test was good overall, everything happened where it should except for the canter on the right rein, found myself merrily cantering to E to circle instead of staying at A. Slapped wrists for rider, So pony was most upset with me and has requested that I let him learn the test next time to prevent a re-occurrence. He can drop deep at times, but I had slightly overcooked the warm up, as I wasn't sure what his response would be to dressage on grass. I haven't got anywhere flattish to school on grass at home, so it's not something he's done much of.

http://youtu.be/MuB0CGvqd9I

At this point he thought he'd finished and was most upset to receive a tack change and be dragged back out again to do some SJ - he was chuntering about having to leave his haynet again. They were running early, so said that I could go in whenever I was ready. Had a little canter round, popped a couple of jumps and in we headed.

We got going in a nice forward canter and I tried to interfere as little as possible to let him get on with his job - having had a horse who pulls you down into everything and isn't very rideable through distances - it's like a breath of fresh air. It was a very nice, simple flowing course and really let us get into a nice rhythm. Most of the distances walked relatively long, for him -but despite being a pocket rocket he's got quite a big canter and made the distances easily. The last line walked shorter and as he looked a little at the first filler I rode a little too forward down to the last. But the jumps were only small and the little lad was clever enough to sort himself out. Big pat, clever boy. My father who we'd convinced to come and watch, for the first time in about four years, declared that that was "The first clear I've ever seen you do". Thanks Dad. :rolleyes:

http://youtu.be/sEgfIfdPB68

The changeover to the XC was quite short, so quick change of tops for me, into my seriously funky new bright yellow and blue starry ensemble. It makes finding us in the pro - pictures surprisingly easy :D Unfortunately, it does mean I attract lots of bugs! Downside to everything - oops!

We stopped off at the results board on the way. We were lying third after Dressage with 33.0, the top three were all within three penalties. After the Show Jumping we moved up to first. Mum looked at us and uttered one word. Breastplate. I could have sworn that So took an audible deep breath, nodded and then marched us off for the warm up.

I waited until we got to the XC start, about a five minute walk away from the boxes before declaring that I wasn't wearing my medical armband. Lovely mother, disappeared to get it, whilst my clueless, competitive father tried to give my tips. :rolleyes: They included such gems as; "he needs to pick his back legs up higher." He has his uses though, he started sniffing round horseboxes in the lorry park. Result. ;)

I had a pop over the warm up fences and So-pony, who was most traumatised at the prospect of having to do another round of fences, stopped. This is most alien, my other horse is a lot of things but he never ever stops. He got a smack and brought round again, popped it nicely and got sent on, lots of on and back to try and get him more in front of me. It worked and he was with me. Had a little amble around the outside of the start box and then customary 5-4-3-2-1- Good Luck. We attempted a flying start, albeit poorly, but we were off.

The first fence was quite close and he wasn't really running in a rhythm, he did have a look but went anyway. The second fence was running down hill and I can't even remember the third fence. Four was a corner and So was busy concentrating on ensuring his ears were pricked, that he was facing the cameraman and that he was posing suitably. We got the stride wrong into five, but he sorted us out and six, seven and eight rode nicely. Nine was the ditch and he made extra sure to really pick his knees up and gave it plenty of space without faltering.

Ten, was a little stickier. It was probably the biggest fence on the course and was three strides out from the water. It was a fairly narrow face as well, and he did go to slam on the brakes. But lots of growling and he went. I've got a smashing pro picture of him splashing through the water. Left hand turn, pop a log, long sweeping turn to the final fence, and then onto the finish. Clever pony.

http://youtu.be/kIeGYNpbPY8

We ended up with about 5.6 penalties, presumably from being a little hesitant. But nonetheless we were still in the lead. Our first ODE, won it. Wow. I love my pony - he really is the best!

GinaGeo

Visit site
Well done! He sounds lovely :)

Thank you! I think he's the best. But I'm a bit biased :D

Wow well done that's super! I bet your really pleased :)!!! x

I am thrilled! Really looking forward to the next one now! :)

Great result and a great report! Make sure you post piccys of your new breastplate in action :p :D

Thank you! Oh yes there will certainly be pictures from the next ODE, including his shiny new breastplate. Bribery, it works wonders ;)

viceversa

Visit site
Well done!! Bet you're dead chuffed :D Have you been to the Friday afternoon sj clear rounds at Speetley? I went last week and thought it was really well run, got alot out of it! I'm going to Eland next month too :) Although we're not a patch on you guys by the looks of things!

GinaGeo

Visit site
Well done that is amazing. The course looks lovely too. More eventing to come I think.

Thank you. The venue is lovely, even better as it's not at all far for us to go! I certainly hope there's more eventing to come!

Just looked at yor show jumping vid and it looked like a very tidy round - great result - well done :))

Thank You. It was a lovely round, he's such a good lad :)

What a brilliant first outing :D

It certainly was! I really didn't expect it go as it did, I was just hoping that he didn't stop half way round, stick one hoof in the air and retire as he was tired!

Well done!! Bet you're dead chuffed :D Have you been to the Friday afternoon sj clear rounds at Speetley? I went last week and thought it was really well run, got alot out of it! I'm going to Eland next month too :) Although we're not a patch on you guys by the looks of things!

I haven't been upto Speetley on a Friday night. We come up the motorway, and northbound that time on a Friday isn't somewhere I'd like to be with a horse! Might see you at Eland, say hi if you see us! :)

viceversa

Visit site
Will do! :) Yes we have to come up the motorway too, I usually put some holiday in at work to get there about half 2 - the motorways such a nightmare on a friday!!