Baby pony's first Water Training Clinic - many pics!...

GinaGeo

Visit site
Hello all!

Tentative first Training report. I'm a serial lurker raising my head above ground, donning my big girl pants and attempting to put something back in to the forum. :D I love reading all of the reports from people competing at levels I can only dream of, but you've prompted me to join BD and hopefully when we're both ready we'll get out and do some BE - something I always thought was totally way out of my league. So Thank-you HHO, you've got me inspired!

Meet So pony; my Autumn project from 2011, he was supposed to be a little project for me and a hack about for mum. But I fell in love with him and his wonderful attitude and he's not going anywhere - he's too much of a dude and I don't want to share him - he's my pocket rocket :D He's very good and has put up with me from day one of his education, which says a lot about his attitude! He's now rising five (I'm sorry if that irritates people, but as he's not actually five until mid-July, I will say it anyway :p )

Anyway enough introductions, they're a bit dull aren't they! So pony has been Dressage divaing quite successfully (Qualified for regionals at Prelim :D ), although seen as his mother can't be bothered to cover him in matchy matchy or buy him copious amounts of bling he's decided on a change of career. As she also doesn't let him wear lots of unnecessary gadgets or have his name on the back of her jackets BS was out as well. Can you see how hard done by the poor lad is! :eek:

Today, despite facing the revolting thoughts of getting ones white socks dirty we went Water Schooling. My local Riding Club organises water training clinics with Mark Cavall at Osberton Estate. I haven't been since my PC Days and that was with my pole-bashing, fearless, XC machine Connemara. I was slightly dubious, Solo hates getting his feet wet, but he does trust me and will generally do as I ask. ;)

Before the water training could even begin we had to get over a stream. His hacking buddy was with us and he very bravely went first. So pony was not convinced that his friend wasn't going to die, so he stayed where he was and ignored his flappy mother who was telling him all sorts of reassuring things - obviously she was lying, so he remained determinedly where he was. It wasn't until his happy hacking mother jumped it first for him (Lolo's mother style - see HHO is useful!) that he shut his eyes and lept. We played over that for a little while and eventually he decided it wasn't so bad, he still hadn't got his feet wet though.

We sent hacking buddy into the river first and practically climbed in the saddle with hacking buddy's mother (That was after he'd tried scaling the bank to keep his precious white socks clean). But he went in, discovered splish splashing was rather good fun and took great delight in soaking us all through.

We had a play through with some simple cross poles, working on our approach and their "rideability" into a fence. He can get a little heavy in front sometimes, it's his default when he's nervous, but Mark kept me working on keeping him light into the hand but remaining forward off the leg. He was very good about it all and gradually the jump in, was straight into the water followed by a little skinny. All quite big questions for my little lad. He's only been XC schooling twice, and some of the jumps, unfortunately not pictured were quite big and solid.

We did have one whoopsy moment though. The first time the cross was dropping into the water. So jumped that big in that it unseated me, then decided the brush out was scary, and put an equally big jump in over that. I wound up without any stirrups hanging round his neck. He was very pleased with himself for being so very brave and was busy congratulating himself with a series of bounces and head wiggles. It was his equine equivalent of punching the air and whooping. Luckily, we didn't part contact - it's a good job really, I was too busy laughing at him to do much about picking myself up :D

I hoiked my stirrups up a further three holes after that - Thank You HHO! - Really made a difference, I felt much more secure!

He's not seen too many skinnies, but he was very good. He's starting to look for his next jump now, without me having to hold his hand all the way in which is lovely. He's very different to my other horse, who's probably too bold and locks onto a fence from about a mile away! Waiting for the fence to get to us, as opposed to fighting all the way is rather nice ;)

We were doing a mini course over a sizeable (for us!) log and rail. But I shouldn't have doubted him, he was ace! Mum didn't get these on camera though as we were too far away.

TBC!

GinaGeo

Visit site
We had a fab time, playing in the water and So pony stopped clinging to his hacking buddy quite early on. Mark, was great and kept it all different to keep us on our toes, so it was then back out over the pony eating stream/ditch, but he was ultra brave now. Stream to jump... "no problem". Ditch you say? "With my eyes closed" . The pony is too cool for school and really does make me :D

Much to So pony's dismay we hadn't finished yet, instead we had another course to jump, skinny to a parallel, loop round over a big log pile (It was very big -and wide! - for us) and back down over the parallel and skinny. No problems - big grin!

He did do a big ping over the skinny though!

A Water tray was the next question, but that was "fine mum, we'll just give it LOADS of room!".

The next water complex had slimy green stuff floating on the water, much to his dismay. You could practically hear him shouting "But Mummy, my socks will go green!". He decided that he might fool Mark into thinking he was in the water if he snuck along the bank, but meany knickers mother made him get his toes dirty. And he very tenderly snuck in.

Mark made a point of us walking up the step on the way out, so that they don't learn to leap out too high, due to them jumping the splash as well. A very sensible point and not one I'd thought of. :eek:

We played up and down the steps and over a log, landing downhill. All questions very new to him.

Jumping in off the step was rather amusing, it was a bit of a belly flop as the water was quite deep :rolleyes:

We had a fab time. For a pony that didn't like water, he was enjoying it by the end! I'm hoping to get him out to do some XC training now within the next fortnight to cement what he's learnt today. And I've booked him in the Unaffiliated Novice ODE at Eland Lodge in July! Looking forward to it now :D

Constructive Criticism is welcome, but so is just appreciating my gorgeous boy. I do love him to bits, I tried very hard not to be overcome by his charms, but he's such a character it was impossible to not!

Thank you for reading, and well done for getting this far - there's a lot to trawl through! There isn't much to offer yet, but if you stick around long enough there will be an Indian Takeaway arriving for tea :)

GinaGeo

Visit site
What a lovely horse. You look fab together!

T x

Thank You - he really is fab. He's only 15.1hh and I normally look quite tall on him, I'm 5ft 6. There's obviously something in this, "hoicking stirrups up thing everybody talks about!" ;)

anna22

Visit site
His face going over the water tray is classic... he's keeping an eye on it just in case! What a brave baby pony, well done the both of you :D

Lolo

Visit site
He's so cool, he doesn't look like that was his first go at all :D :D

My mum's technique is a top one, although I made sure I didn't get any clips of her running in my ditch video as she's so lame I think HHO would explode with 'get the vet' advice :D Poor mums, they suffer for horses!

GinaGeo

Visit site
Oh wow, isn't he ace! What a brilliant idea too. He looks like he's loving his career change :D

Thank you - He really is! I did cave and buy him a blingy browband with his winnings though, shall have to hide when we go BE :eek:

His face going over the water tray is classic... he's keeping an eye on it just in case! What a brave baby pony, well done the both of you :D

Thanks! He has so many expressions, you really can tell exactly what he's thinking.

He's so cool, he doesn't look like that was his first go at all :D :D

My mum's technique is a top one, although I made sure I didn't get any clips of her running in my ditch video as she's so lame I think HHO would explode with 'get the vet' advice :D Poor mums, they suffer for horses!

Thank You - he is such dude - and he does so love the camera ;) Oh bless her, must be a mum's of HHO - my poor mother is lame as well!

What a great report :) and I can see why you've fallen for him. What a lovely attitude he has

Thank you! It's impossible not to fall for him, one look into this big dark eyes and I melted! He was so enjoying it by the end as well and you can't help but grin with him.

Thank You for the brilliant response, I've held off from posting a report as so many "unknown" poster's reports sink so quickly. I best order some more Indian Takeaway! :D

P.S. You've no idea how long it took me to find multi-quote! *Wipes sweat from brow* ;)

Tash88

Visit site
Oh he is lovely, looks like a real character as well and you make a wonderful pair :), love the photo of him cantering into the water.

Look forward to reading the ODE report!

GinaGeo

Visit site
He looks fabulous!

Thank You! He's such a happy little chap!

Oh he is lovely, looks like a real character as well and you make a wonderful pair :), love the photo of him cantering into the water.

Look forward to reading the ODE report!

Oh he is a real character, he might not be hugely Welsh in his looks but it certainly came through in his temperament. He spent this morning digging his bed up, whilst I was putting his tail bandage on "cos I want to go in the field". It would be followed by a pointed glare of "I hate you Mummy!" and more digging with renewed vigour. As soon as I left the stable and he had nobody to preform to he returned to eating his hay as quiet as a lamb - attention seeking beast! He's like having a toddler around. When we took him to BYRDS camp a fortnight ago he was doing the equine clinging onto trouser leg begging us not leave, once we were out of sight, pony could merrily eat his hay. He's having to learn that he's not the centre of attention all the time and ignoring him seems to be working best.

There will be an ODE Report, hopefully not of a soggy me when he's decided to forget all of today's training and kindly send me in first :D

Nicnac

Visit site
Lovely well written report - looking forward to lots more. Pony is fab and will make good eventer as already got the prancing bit sussed ;)

No CC - all looks really good!

BlairandAzria

Visit site
What a lovely report :) just love your horse what a brilliant honest attitude he has!

Looking forward to reading the next report! :D

GinaGeo

Visit site
Awesome photos, that looks like a lot of fun!:D

It is a fab day, very reasonably priced as well. Would definitely recommend it to somebody in the area, I've always had a laugh with it and taken lots of new information away with me :)

Lovely well written report - looking forward to lots more. Pony is fab and will make good eventer as already got the prancing bit sussed ;)

No CC - all looks really good!

Thank you - there will certainly be more - I've got a few bits and pieces planned for the Summer to keep us both entertained ;) Pony likes prancing very much, he would quite like all dressage to be on nice flat, man-made surfaces though Thank you very much. We've been practising schooling on grass and he's getting the hang of working on the side of a hill - we haven't got any flat grass land. so in theory a flat dressage ring should be easy in comparison! That's my plan anyway ;)

What a lovely report :) just love your horse what a brilliant honest attitude he has!

Looking forward to reading the next report! :D

Thank You. I do so adore him, I know I sound gushy - well I don't just sound it, honestly I am. My mother's probably fed up of my incessant "I'm just so proud of So pony today...". He's very green and I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I've never had the horse power to take me any further before and I'm terrified of messing it up!

I think it was LEC's thread somebody said the more you like the horse the more pressure you put on yourself. It's very true. I love my other horse the pole bashing Connie, but he had too many issues to ever hope to do anything. This little lad is talented, and I so don't want to mess him up! Just got to build the right support network around us I think.

morrismob

Visit site
Lovely report and great photos.... looks like you both had a huge amount of fun !I will look forward to further reports:D

viceversa

Visit site
Well done! Great report and sounds like you both got loads out of it!
He looks ever so sweet, I really like him :D

PS. That's my local riding club too, which I am a member of. We must be in the same area! Perhaps see you around :)

GinaGeo

Visit site
Lovely pics well done!

Thank you :)

I like him, a lot! :D

:D Thanks!

Lovely report and great photos.... looks like you both had a huge amount of fun !I will look forward to further reports:D

We certainly did! There should be many more over the summer - you'll be sick of us! ;)

Well done! Great report and sounds like you both got loads out of it!
He looks ever so sweet, I really like him :D

PS. That's my local riding club too, which I am a member of. We must be in the same area! Perhaps see you around :)

We certainly did, the Osberton Clinics are always very good, always take a lot away! You'll have to come and say Hi if you see us! :D

viceversa

Visit site
We certainly did, the Osberton Clinics are always very good, always take a lot away! You'll have to come and say Hi if you see us! :D

I will do! :D are you booked in on any more up coming events with the RC? Do you ever go to the Friday SJ practice? I am often there trying to cajole my wayward coloured pony into jumping a course with no tantrums! :rolleyes: :p

GinaGeo

Visit site
They asked me to do the BRC Area Dressage today, but I decided it was too far to take him for one class. That and the water training is more valuable to him right now.

I am booked in for the next Sam York Clinic :) I've done the Friday night training and comps in the past, on my pole bashing Connemara - either jumped a double clear or came out with 24 faults :eek: . I haven't been recently though as I'm at work and can't get home, loaded and over there until it's finished which is a shame. Always enjoyed them!

viceversa

Visit site
I know how you feel - I have to put annual leave in if I want to finish in time to go! I've been to a Sam York clinic before, she's great :)

AandK

Visit site
Fab report and pics, he is super cute :) and you guys look great together! I look forward to seeing more reports from you!

Rosiefan

Visit site
I loved this report, thank you.
I have a 3 yr old who will be 4 at the end of this month (ridden for me by my grandaughter) and he sounds just like your Solo. We've been doing much the same sort of things with Stan - but without the dressage success - and I love watching him learning his trade XC. The huge leaps are 'de rigeur' as far as I can see and tiptoeing into water is definitely not unusual :D.
Have fun at his first ODE :)

X

xspiralx

He's really smart - lovely little horse! I'm not surprised you're chuffed to bits with him!

Gamebird

Visit site
Lovely horse and lovely pics :).

I'm another in your RC - have hacked through that water many times! Have you been to the Wed night club night? Absolute bargain, lovely laid back evening - perfect for babies (I took one last week who'd only been broken in for 4 weeks :eek:) and plenty of time for a gossip and glass of wine in the sun afterwards. Sadly I can't get to much else because of work.

GinaGeo

Visit site
Fab report and pics, he is super cute :) and you guys look great together! I look forward to seeing more reports from you!

Thank You - he is very cute, it's those big brown eyes that could melt the hardest of hearts ;)

I loved this report, thank you.
I have a 3 yr old who will be 4 at the end of this month (ridden for me by my grandaughter) and he sounds just like your Solo. We've been doing much the same sort of things with Stan - but without the dressage success - and I love watching him learning his trade XC. The huge leaps are 'de rigeur' as far as I can see and tiptoeing into water is definitely not unusual :D.
Have fun at his first ODE :)

Oh Bless Stan! It's so rewarding to bring them on from scratch, especially when they're such sweethearts! I'm sure we'll enjoy the ODE, he'll just be shouting "But Mummy I'm tired, I've already done Dressage and SJ today" all the way round the XC. He's on a serious fitness campaign :D

He's really smart - lovely little horse! I'm not surprised you're chuffed to bits with him!

Thank You, he's quite changed from the weedy, hairy beast with big feet he was when we bought him - Thank Goodness! :)

Lovely horse and lovely pics :).

I'm another in your RC - have hacked through that water many times! Have you been to the Wed night club night? Absolute bargain, lovely laid back evening - perfect for babies (I took one last week who'd only been broken in for 4 weeks :eek:) and plenty of time for a gossip and glass of wine in the sun afterwards. Sadly I can't get to much else because of work.

Oooh! I didn't even know there was a Wed night club night - shows how dedicated a club member I am :eek: I'll have to keep an eye out for them - Thank You!