Back from Cavan

amage

Visit site
Unfortunately didn't have the best week jumping wise. had a silly fence down each day but the mare jumped superb. the fences down were entirely my fault just one of those weeks! 3yr old loose jumping was quite a disappointing class...only two really nice horses. had a fun week anyway and a big party on sat night/sun morn
blush.gif

hati

community.webshots.com
Sorry I forget to bring your number with me on Thursday night. I was really disappointed with the loose jumping final. The winner was nice enough (very well produced) but none of them really stood out as spectular horses for the future. There was one that would have made a nice eventer (By Chocoa) - think Vere Phillips was looking at him after he jumped.

Pity about your fences down, but at least the party was good
grin.gif

no_no_nanette

Visit site
We're off to Cavan for the sales at the end of this month ... especially looking at 3 year olds, so hope that there are some good ones there. I spose its not the best time of year for people to be bringing the really good stuff to market. Its the first time for us to be visiting, so any tips anyone can offer gratefully received! We are really just going to look and learn this time around, and planning to come back in the spring, when I have a bit more cash!
A friends told me the other day that the really good horses go to Goresbidge - do you think this is true, or is she talking through a particular part of her anatomy?!

hati

community.webshots.com
I'm afraid that your friend is correct, the majority of the better 3 year olds are sold at Goresbridge (Sepember sales about 4 days devoted to 3yr olds only). I go to Cavan a good bit when I am home and friends have bought about 5 horses from there (all 3yr olds). In general the better horses will go for bigger prices and often they are bid up. However, as it is coming into winter not many people want to keep 3 yr olds as they have to break them, so there are bargains out there. Last year a nice chestnut mare about 16hh at the end of the day went for peanut money of 2500 Euro, she had a clean cert and could jump, but was deemed too small for some. She went to a well known English dealer.

If you decide to buy this time, I think that you may have to have a bankers draft with you or possibly a credit Card to pay at the time of sale. It might be worth ringing Cavan before hand to check this out.

The Cafe is very good and does a delicious steak and chips with coleslaw, and you won't any of the action as you eat.
smirk.gif

If you want to anything else, just PM me.

Davina

no_no_nanette

Visit site
Thanks Davina! Have PM'd you, and will report back on our experience at the end of the month. We're visiting a couple of dealers as well, one being the breeder of my mare, so lots to see and lots to learn!

sherwood'

Visit site
no she is right- the septemeber sport horse sales get the cream of the country to be honest. Cavan worth a look even jsut for experience you may be lucky!! Have fun!