Back from horsepital

LauraBR

Visit site
Good news and bad news but more good than bad.

He's got more than one break- he has a hairline fracture lengthways down his nasal bone, and then further up there is another fracture where the bone has split off and the outside bit has been pushed down (hence the dent).

BUT, vet thinks it should heal ok left alone. Need to be mega mega careful that he doesn't knock the unstable broken bit but if we can manage not to knock it then he should recover ok without any interference.

Re travelling him- 'loose' went out the window when realised he must travel alone (FREAKS out on his own, was in two minds whether to completely rearrange appt but really needed seeing today). So, used Live_Wires idea of trying to get noseband up near eyes. Worked a treat! Adapted a really big headcollar, few new holes here and there.... good job really as now he can use it for the next few weeks/months
smile.gif

Thankfully he proved me completely wrong on the travel front- totally different horse! No panic at all although he was dripping when we unloaded him so obviously v stressed, looked a sorry state steaming and sedated having his x-rays.

He looked much brighter this evening, just worried he'll get pecked by the horse next door who can reach him... YO is putting up a barrier between them tomorrow for me.

I'm much more relaxed this evening and we should even be able to get going again (minus noseband) in a few weeks. Follow up x-rays in 6 weeks.

LauraBR

Visit site
Very relieved!!!!!!! Totally worrying about anything knocking the unstable bit of bone though... would literally have wrapped his whole face in thick cotton wool and bubble wrap if I didn't know for a fact that he would rub it off and do more harm than good!
frown.gif

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Aww this is so good and even better that it will heal by its self *Fingers x* I think its always best far less complications possible! And lucky you will be riding in few weeks! Give him a get-well-soon kiss from all us
grin.gif

Ash the arab

Visit site
You really do go through it with your horses don't you?
smirk.gif

I'm glad the xrays were positive, lets just hope Sam behaves himself for the next few weeks.
Cyber hugs to both of you X

Theresa_F

Visit site
Glad that he should be ok, no problem riding without a noseband - just pretend you are riding western
grin.gif

Poor chap - lets hope he remembers to swerve the right way in future.

Give him a cuddle from me.

cariadssogreat

Visit site
Thats good news then!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

New 6'0" Lightweight Turnout with matching neck needing a new home for xmas!
Professionals Choice SMB Large Front Boots also looking to go in a xmas stocking. PM me

LauraBR

Visit site
Thanks everyone, hope he does behave!

Poor lad is much more swollen than yesterday and more sorry for himself but vet says no pain relief (we want him to be careful where he puts his face) and no anti inflammatory meds- the swelling is acting as a splint too.

All your good vibes must have worked today
grin.gif

ruscara

Visit site
That is good news, then, although a worry for a while longer until it has healed enough not to be in danger. What an awful thing to have happened after you were doing so well.
Still, all is by no means lost and these next few weeks will go past really quickly. I am so glad it wasn't worse.

EllieBeast

Visit site
Ah, glad to hear he's on the mend. and what a good boy for tollerating the headcollar too! now you need to try to relax a little - the healing is up to him now!
((Hugs)) and good luck.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Was thinking about this last night - poor ponio. Glad that the vet's are optomistic about full recover.

Try not to stress too much (easier said than done I know!!).