Back of saddle pad rubbing

tatty_v

Visit site
The back of my horse’s saddle pad appears to be rubbing. He’s got a super thick coat (blanket clipped) and it seems to be creating a ‘ridge’ in the deep coat that doesn’t disappear with brushing. No issues with saddle fit (checked very recently).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a saddle pad that has wool/fleece on the underside of the back edge? I’ve been looking at some online but the pictures aren’t helping! Ideally I don’t want something too thick to disrupt the saddle fit, more just on the pad binding/edge?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
For me, except when the coat is changing and brittle, this is normally a sign that the saddle doesn't fit properly.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Every pad rubs my horse this time of year. Just during this coat change time. LeMieux make a "sensitive" pad with fleece around the edges. The HKM Gently pad isn't fancy, but does the job. My Eskadron glossy big square doesn't rub so bad, but their cotton ones do.

A small company here did come up with some sort of clip on sheepskin thing to help with this matter, but I haven't tried it.

tatty_v

Visit site
Thanks all, I’m off to Google!

@ycbm I do agree and am very careful with saddle fit. I think this is more as a result of the sheer thickness of his coat and a cotton saddle pad just creating a ridge in the hair as it sticks rather than moves with the hair as he moves, plus he is starting to shed for the spring. Obviously though if it doesn’t improve with a softer edges pad then I will reconsider.