Back on track rain rug, Spavins, sore back

Achinghips

Visit site
Anyone got any reviews on this please? Fit, effectiveness etc. It's about £200 so want to be sure it's good before I invest ... Ned needs a new rain rug anyway, and has been diagnosed with Spavins and associated drop of muscle on one side as a result of compensatory movement which must give a bit of a sore back. Back in track hock boots already ordered, btw.
Thanks

pootler

Visit site
Still a bit gutted after someone pointed out an article in The New Scientist mocking horse owners for paying massive amounts of money for a rug based on bad science. However, I have hock boots, a mesh rug and a human neck cover from BOT which I use. No strong opinions as to whether they work or not 😒

Miszeemare

Visit site
I bought the back warmer for a horse with similar issues to yours. It is put on first thing in the morning to warm her back muscles before riding her. She is definitely more willing to stretch her off shoulder/elbow than she was before so in that respect, something is working for her. I would also say I put it on her after riding as it cools the muscles down more slowly (supposedly) - it certainly dries off her saddle patch quickly. HTH

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Still a bit gutted after someone pointed out an article in The New Scientist mocking horse owners for paying massive amounts of money for a rug based on bad science. However, I have hock boots, a mesh rug and a human neck cover from BOT which I use. No strong opinions as to whether they work or not ��

Ha well.. it just warms them up, so is not really any different to putting a slightly thicker rug on.
I am sure there are similar articles about magnets too
and they haven't found out about icevibe boots yet
oh and the advertising that goes with bucas's newfangled rug is hilarious :D

DD265

Visit site
I've worn Under Armour infrared myself and honestly it's just a bit warmer than the stuff without. Comfy though and I feel the cold so it suits me. I do have a BOT fleece for my lad which is lovely but I just use it as a fleece these days - he's bulked back up a bit so it doesn't fit him well enough to wear comfortably for hours.

ester

Visit site
I think it is different for people, if you are wanting to be active but stay warm you want a good thin layer. I do not understand how that translates to a horse stood in a stable though :p.

Achinghips

Visit site
The ceramic powder within the product, they claim, reflects back infra red Ray's of heat deep into the muscles increasing circulation, desensitising pain receptors and thereby providing pain relief and promoting faster healing for tendons. That is the supposition, as opposed to wearing a layer of material. There is no cure for Arthritis and the best to hope for is a reduction of inflammation and pain management, hence my question as to its efficacy for Spavins and a consequent sore back.

Last edited:

Gift Horse

Visit site
It sounds like it's infused with snake oil to me ;-)
I think some of the marketing of these wonder products preys on people trying to do their best for their animals :-(
Perhaps you could ask a Physio or vet for their opinion?

Pocketr@cket

Visit site
I purchased a top for myself and it does something. I really notice the difference in retaining body heat which helps my back and shoulder pain but I'm unsure if it's due to having another layer or something that the top does- saying that I don't notice the warmth when wearing another similar top from primark.

ester

Visit site
I do know what they claim, I don't believe them or believe they have any scientific evidence to back up it's supposed therapeutic effects.

ihatework

Visit site
I've got the mesh rug.
I like it in that it's very versatile, lightweight, easy to wash etc.
It definitely keeps them warmer than you might imagine underneath.
I have to say I'm not sure I've notiticed any therapeutic benefits, but I'm glad I've got it for the warmth v weight ratio