Back up and running BUT not forward going.....

SamuelWhiskers

Visit site
I am really pleased to say after purchasing my new young horse in September, after him then going lame (cut himself badly!) within 2 weeks of having him, then turned into a monster with a combination of the wrong food and him associating us with "hurting him" ie bathing his bad cut!!! After 6 weeks of ground work and lunging, he trusts us, has settled and we are back on board...and what is more important, stayed on and we both enjoyed!! (If you would had seen him 2 months ago, i couldn't get near him never mind get on him!!!) Great feeling, been on him 3 out of the 4 holidays over christmas! We are only walking in the field, circles and short walking/halting sessions and walking out hacking (want to get him fit properly again!) Just wondered if you guys had any tips on him going forwards...he goes really well, then has a complete lapse when he looses his concentration and daudles, i am worn our from making him go forwards...i stop, he stops!! Is this just immature/uncoordinated youngsterness, which will progress with time (the vet said he was an immature 4 yo) or is there anything else i can do to help us along a bit!

Thank you
laugh.gif

Tia

Visit site
Sounds to me like he is putting all his trust in you and when he doesn't hear/feel any commands from you,. he is unsure of what to do. Young horses are often like this so I wouldn't be particularly worried about it - it's just their way.

You could try long-reining him; this will teach him to be forward-going and to think for himself a little but still under the quiet guidance of you at the helm. If you don't want to do this and would prefer to do it all ridden then just keep going the way you are going, be gentle with him and don't lose your temper - just keep giving him all the encouragement he needs and eventually he will trust in himself and you will have a wonderful partnership.

Sounds like you are doing absolutely fine.
smile.gif

GTs

Visit site
I would personally lunge him - I thinking lunging is methodic, and will help his pace, concerntration, and balance.

Tia

Visit site
Well as a serial disliker of lunging, particularly of young horses, then I wouldn't agree with you.....what's new eh?
grin.gif

Clodagh

Visit site
I wouldn't lunge him either, I agree with Tia, my youngster hadn't hacked out when I got her and as soon as she got brain tired she turned into a donkey. It gradually got better as she got more fit both mentally and physically and now shes fine. They're like young children - Go, go , go...tired now...stop!

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well as a serial disliker of lunging, particularly of young horses, then I wouldn't agree with you.....what's new eh?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He is 4, that is not young!!! I am a serial disliker of anything more than trotting on the lunge. I just find it allows horses to relax while in work, and focus.

I did not read the problems were on hacking - if that is the case long reining would be better suited.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
as owner of a 12 year old ex racer who acts like a new 3 year old.....I am with GT on this, my opinion of lunging to get them going forward is based on "tried and tested"!!! 4 is not too young to be lunging, its great for muscle and outline etc, just dont use gadgets, lunging cavesson thats it! let them move freely and the rest will come.....its working for us, Fred is a dawdler!!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
You won't really get forward movement until you trot him, that's the pace to generate energy, getting it on a youngster in walk is nie impossible if they get tired!
I wouldn't worry about harming him provided you do rising trot, and just on the flat until he gets stronger. We back our babies and take them on an hour's hack from the first day with another horse, they trot, they even canter a few steps up a slope if they want to, don't be too precious with him!!!!
If he is four or older lungeing will benefit him but not hours of it, twenty mins is plenty, hacking first on the flat then up hills will build up those muscles and give you energy from within. The other tip is use a schooling whip to ensure he goes from your leg, several flappy taps are better than a wallop whic scares them and doesn't help at all.

Allykat

Visit site
I would just fo a bit more with him. My youngster was a bit the same when we started out...If I stopped he'd stop. Introduce some trotting, he will be fine. I would also carry a schooling whip just a tickle or tap is usually enough to just remind them to keep going. He need to learn still that your legs will tell him to go forward and that he should keep going until he is asked to do something different.

My TB is fairly immature for his age (he's rising 7) and still has the odd hack where he simply switches off....he's tired and we just dawdle home
grin.gif
We're getting there
smile.gif

SamuelWhiskers

Visit site
Thanks very much guys, especially for all the reassurance, I have tried lunging him a little and he is o.k on the right rein for about 5 mins, then gets very bored or naughty (bucking/cantering and then gives up and starts just coming into the middle all the time...he is a bit of a wimp really!! Will keep on with the work and try a fews hills and the odd trot, i do ride him with spurs and a schooling whip, try only using them when i have to so he doesn't become dead to the leg! Do you think the odd trot would spark him up, i was going to just keep on walking him for a few weeks to get him fit properly as he has had about 3 months off?? thanks again for all your advice and reassurance, i like this forum!!!