Backed vs broken.

05jackd

Visit site
For the first time in years I am looking to sell a pony of Ridable age ( usually sell youngstock). I’ve come to the realisation that a) I am not superwoman and unable to ride 3 and work full time. B) she’s never really going to big enough.

So is there a market for a 14.1 4 year mare? Beautiful head and nicely put together. Not flashy but very workmanlike in her paces. Welsh x.
She was professionally backed earlier in the year and has been left to mature. Nice person but not a plod. More of a competition type.

Do I advertise her as is or do I look to get her broken over the winter with a view of selling in the spring?

Anyone have any idea of prices for this kind of pony?

I’ve always sold unbroken so I don’t have the risk of unqualified people trekking for a ‘day out’ so any tips for avoiding day trippers/ numpties?

honetpot

Visit site
Backed to me is sat on and the basics done, I take them out for an odd hack, but really not much more. Broken I would expect a bit more but if you sent it away to a pro, that what I would have expected them to do.
I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago, I sent it away to be sold, and they got far more money for it than I would have asked, a couple of thousand more.

Equi

Visit site
Winters a hard time to sell a horse, she might be used for hunting if you’re happy with that then advertise now she may have a blast with it and turn out good and brave but if not I’d keep and get her going over winter with an aim to get into the young showing classes next year.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think of it as the same thing really but if you got her up and running as a riding pony you can get more money and as she has been backed it shouldn't take long to get her going again.

First Frost

Visit site
To me she sounds like she is backed but not ridden away. Riding away is the hard bit, so you will get far more money if that is done. Get her walk/trot and cantering on both reins in the school, hacking out and maybe popping a little fence. Then she is ready to start life and should sell easily!

PSD

Visit site
Backed to me means sat on and walked around on. Broken to me means able to ride in W/T/C.

this is how I view it too.

it would depend what you want more, money or just to have one less to deal with in winter. There’s no shame in wanting money either btw! If it were me I’d sell as professionally backed and explain what she’s done and that she is still very green etc but most people will get that from her age.

yes you’ll get more the more she does but I would sell now before winter sets in and people stop buying.

JackFrost

Visit site
Backed but not ridden away. A responsible buyer would probably want to go back and redo all the basics anyway.
I would look for a seller now, there is so much work in getting her riding away well, and if there are going to be issues, that will be when they appear.
Price - £2.5k ? sold 'from field', but harder to guess after that, depends on how well she does, and how much of a competition type, £3 to £5K ?
Definitely there is a market, but vet your buyers carefully before you let them near her. Ask to know what they have done before, see pictures, interrogate, and be clear that you will only sell to the right home.
She sounds nice!

Art Nouveau

Visit site
I have a friend looking for a 'backed but not broken' pony because she enjoys the early stages. Her budget is tiny though, about £1500 I think, so she's looking more at 3.5 year olds that have been bitted and sat on, and is probably still being a bit hopeful. Was yours brought on further?