Backing a 16 year old? Would you?

pistolpete

Visit site
Lovely horse needs a home he could be a great companion or pet but fit healthy and although never seen tack could it be done? I’m guessing in theory it is possible. Anyone started one that late? He’s a 15 hand Welsh section D thanks.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Definately. Backed a 15yr old who had been really messed up and passed around. It was tough but super rewarding. Sadly had to pts through melanoma at age 20 but we had some awesome years together and he loved having a job.

He was so smart and so engaged it was fun educating him.

dominobrown

Visit site
Done a few older ones. Recently an Arab at 16 though it had about 5 rides on it as a 4 year old and turned away.
Also a 13 year old which is ok but wouldn’t fully trust it. That was meant to be untouched and is good until he is not.

Melody Grey

Visit site
If you have the time and you’re confident the horse is sound and sane, I’d make a gentle start and see where it goes. Slow and steady would be the key for me- OH’s horse was largely left until about ten due to previous owners circumstances and I re-started him. He has years later turned out to have KS though, so keep in mind that a skeletally mature horse that’s coping fine without a rider may not cope with one.....but that could be said of any horse. Progress updates please if you do decide to go ahead!

pistolpete

Visit site
Thank you for replies. He’s so sweet. He’s got a lovely nature but I’m not really in a situation to work with him. Need my own field! He is lovely though. I’m letting my heart rule again of course! Not really practical.

Spottyappy

Visit site
We backed a 12 year old NF mare. Had no issues.
much would depend, Imho, on why he hasn’t been backed up to this point. Do you know all of his past, and if he has ever been backed?

dorsetladette

Visit site
I’d assume someone had tried and failed to be honest. Even if not, I don’t think I’d bother.

This totally!

We've just done an 820 mile round trip to take our 11yr old to a companion loan home as I dont want him out of my control because of his past. He's unrideable. He was free to a good home as an unbacked 5yr old. Turns out they had tried several times and got hurt so just wanted to shift him on quickly. We've gone back to basics and tried a few different techniques, all have failed and a professional ended up in hospital. So it just wouldn't be fair to move him on to an uncertain future.

pistolpete

Visit site
Genuinely don’t think anyone has tried to back him. He was a pet. That in itself could cause major issues though I guess. He can’t be stabled as he doesn’t understand being shut in got very upset kicking walks and doors apparently he does walk over the top of you. No boundaries but is really very sweet when you explain to him what you want. Bright and friendly but maybe a bit long in the tooth for a new job.

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site
I bought a green 9 year old that was broken at 3 but want on to broodmare . She had a lovely nature but did take almost 4 years to get her right with jumping and flat work were she is not green and is confident . To be honest I feel I lost a lot of her younger years trying to sort out issues instead of having fun. If you want to take on this horse I would say with older horses it can take longer in my experience but it worth it.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I backed a mare as a 13 year old. She was very easy to back and knowing her previous history I don't think it had been attempted (and failed) before.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yes, sure. I've backed a few teenagers: unbroken broodmares, people's pet horses that were never broken, even a completely wild range mustang (for a bet, interesting experience but I'm not doing that again). Most were actually easier than a 3 or 4 year old.

Antw23uk

Visit site
If i 100% knew his history I'd probably give it a go BUT unless you are100% 15 solid years of history on this horse then chances are he's been started and failed a few times and there is a reason he isnt under saddle and its not because he's been a pet for 15 years! My cynical side says he's a nut job and shouldnt be touched!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I would back one that old if I already had it and was bored! But I'd never buy an older horse with the intention of backing it unless I knew its full history (I.e broodmare all its life).

Too many idiots do a bad job of backing and then try to sell as unbacked.

This. I have backed an 8yo before, that was the oldest but I knew its history. She was easier to bring on as she had a mature head so you can miss the proper baby behaviour. Id never buy one for the above reason, especially a Welsh D who can be a bit nuts - they could have tried backing it and gave up...

winnie

Visit site
If you have the time and patience to start slowly and little steps, then I think it could work and would be very rewarding. I am currently doing similar VERY slowly with my 19 yo Dartmoor Pony. I've had her since she was 6yo and she came to me semi feral to be a companion, couldn't, and probably still can't, be caught in a field unless food involved and very flighty. Last year she was diagnosed with EMS and Cushings so I decided to embark on and exercise plan walking her out in hand .We built it up slowly and have covered many miles and have developed a strong bond. Now, due to my own physical issues and age, I am progressing to backing her so we can cover even more miles together. It may not work but worth trying.