Backing in Cheshire! (some questions about cost)

noodle_

Visit site
I have contacted a few - CJC equestrian, inc who seems the best as shes reccomended by several people?

i have a few questions...

Obviously I will go view the yards before I send my horse, but when do i pay? week in advance?

When does the owner start to be involved/ride? (im assuming end of the term before she comes home)? 6th week?

How often do you except a horse to be worked?

Price is coming up at 100-135 a week....

Im cheshire based - and ideally want her cheshire based as I want to visit her every couple of weeks to check progress - without stepping on the trainers toes/getting in the way!

I want her gone in the next 2 weeks! in an ideal world......... ;)

be positive

Visit site
I have usually asked for 4 weeks up front but it varies depending on the place, so ask about terms when you make contact.

I think the owners like to come up once a week or so to see progress being made at each stage with the actual getting on and riding depending on each individual horse and the owners ability, if owner is very competent and horse is going well they may get on earlier, if not so competent it may be best left until the horse is more established and confident before putting up a different rider but by the 5th/ 6th week you should be able to sit on to do the basics and make sure all is going well before taking her home, it is in the interests of the yard to make sure the owner is happy on top.

I work with them daily in some way, not always actual work it may be time despooking or introducing something new, the client is paying for a job to be done and if it means 2 sessions some days to make progress then a day or 2 to let it sink in that is what gets done, no 2 are the same so it is about working to suit the horse and get a good end result.

£100 seems cheap to me for what is full livery with daily "schooling" that is less than £15 per day which will not cover costs plus an hour per day doing something, I would think £20 per day at least to get the job done well at this time of year, possibly less in summer when keep is less if they can be out 24/7 but I am not sure about your area.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I think you have to chat to the trainer (or a couple of trainers) and discuss your needs and what they can accommodate. As bp said, a lot depends on your ability, the horse etc. As a rule, I like to stick with one rider until the horse is comfortable cantering but that can be anywhere from days to weeks. I also work with a lot of people now who want to be very involved in the process, get on the horse themselves early on etc and this usually slows things down but can also make the handover easier. When I took horses in it was a month minimum and then by the week but that was an ongoing discussion depending on the variables. Now that I do horses in their own yards I sell 'books' of sessions and progress depends much more on what the owner can do.

As far as how often, I'd like a horse to 'work' 5ish days/week but again, as bp says, it would probably have some sort of easy lesson most days and possibly even do two short sessions if need be.

I'd agree, £100 seems very cheap. Someone who is heavily subsidized can probably get that done but likely to be younger or backing as a side business. I've had it proven to me time and time again that this is not an area you want to cut corners in.

noodle_

Visit site
Thanks
I've asked 5 very different people who are from eventers to dealers and all come up with £100-120 a week.

I wouldn't be comfortable getting on her until she's established so more than happy to wait until the final week. :)

I've since found someone to back her when posting! Fingers crossed it all goes well!! :)

abb123

Visit site
There is a lady that does a lot of backing near Frodsham that most of the people I know have used. I think her name is Bianca and I think she worked with Jane and Richard Carruthers. The horses all seem to come back happy with a well rounded start to their education.

VRIN

Visit site
There is a lady that does a lot of backing near Frodsham that most of the people I know have used. I think her name is Bianca and I think she worked with Jane and Richard Carruthers. The horses all seem to come back happy with a well rounded start to their education.

Bianca is excellent

noodle_

Visit site
Forgot to reply!

She's going away today with a friend of mine who has evented, and now does dressage. Nice patient rider with a brilliant yard :)

She needed to go ASAP before I completely loose the will to live!

Will keep you updated with her progress :) I've done a lot of work with her long reining and sitting on her so I hope she remembers it and behaves herself! :)