backing - ur opinion

trelawnyhorses1

Visit site
lately i have heard many different opinions about how to back / break horses and at what age you should start backing. so it made me think what you think / do when it comes to backing?

emma69

Visit site
To a large extent it depends on the horse - some are more than ready at 3, some are just no where near until they are 4 nearly 5. Some benefit from doing some work then 6 months in a field, some are far better working straight through - you have to listen to the horse for the most part!

miniemy

Visit site
Hi Movie start.

As Im sure your are aware there are many ways to back a youngster and many many methods people use to start one also.

It really does depend on circumstances. Ive got a youngster who has the basics of wearing a bridle and some simple lunging, but is far too weak to be fully sat on although I have gently leant over him and he has had a saddle on. As he has been lame for a while he is now going to be left until next year 3 and a half years old (as long as I can stop feeling guilty about not doing anything with him). I will then start to continue to lunge him and long line a little, introduce side reins again and some pole work and build him up until I can lean over him then eventually sit on him.

Some people do natural horsemanship things but I am not into that so cant comment.

Hope this helps

Emma