backing young horses

irishdraft

Visit site
Can anyone recommend someone who backs youngsters in the south east area who they have had good results with. I have 2 3 YO IDs I want backed and lightly hacked this spring

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
do the basic ground work lungeing with tack and long reining , then send them to a racing yard for 6 weeks til they walk trot canter alone and company and get them back and do the nice shape rythym etc in menage once they have learnt to go forward!

pocket

Visit site
Where abouts are you?? Do you have a riding instructor/trainer?? If so, ask their advice as they will know of a good place to send them or you could get someone to come to you to save the stress of sending them away. I actually prefer to do them at home with assistance, but everyone has their own preference and ideas
wink.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
If you are in Essex, I am very much recommend Sarah Fortt who is near Chelmsford.

She is very experienced and very reasonable - only person I trust to take my little chap. Small, quiet yard and she looks after your horse the way you want them looked after, ie plenty of turnout, no strapping down, good beds and plenty of hay etc.

http://www.topclassponies.co.uk/index.cfm

irishdraft

Visit site
Yes thanks people, I am in East Sussex and would prefer to do them at home with assistance ie a young person who bounces to get on whilst Im on the ground but my husband says Im leaving myself open to problems if someone falls off and breaks an arm or something. Probably wont happen but it is 3 y olds were talking about, ones 17hh already so a bit daunting.

whizzica

Visit site
Cath and Martyn Fowdrey are very good for starting youngsters and have a huge knowledge between them of horses - if you want their contact details please pm me xx